So many trailer manufacturers to choose from...

/ So many trailer manufacturers to choose from... #41  
I have a 20' PJ equipment hauler, a 16' LoadTrail dump trailer, and i recently purchased a 25' PJ Gooseneck deckover. I compared this latest PJ to LoadTrail and BigTex, and ultimately went with PJ again. I think they offer a great value and quality construction. Next to the BigTex, the PJ was clearly the winner. I think I'm on my 3rd or 4th year now with the 20' PJ equipment hauler, and it's held up really well.

LoadTrail are good trailers also, but i keep coming back to PJ...

View attachment 499985

I've narrowed my search down to those to manufacturers, Big Tex and PJ. If you don't mind, what made PJ the clear winner?
Only issue I have with the PJ (multiple trailers) is the welder(s) leave wire hanging off of the welds. I'm not a pro welder. but that bothers me. Sort of a quality control issue imo. Also, I want a 25' deck over with a pierced frame, I don't think PJ comes standard like that, but is an option.

/ So many trailer manufacturers to choose from... #42  
I've narrowed my search down to those to manufacturers, Big Tex and PJ. If you don't mind, what made PJ the clear winner?
Only issue I have with the PJ (multiple trailers) is the welder(s) leave wire hanging off of the welds. I'm not a pro welder. but that bothers me. Sort of a quality control issue imo. Also, I want a 25' deck over with a pierced frame, I don't think PJ comes standard like that, but is an option.
Looking at them side by side (which i was lucky enough that my dealer carries both) the PJ was "finished" better. The welds looked cleaner, the tool box was better, paint looked better, little things were better thought out. I had thought about the pierced frame, and i was sure that the 3" lower deck height would come into play... But once i compared them in person, the deck height difference was negligible. Basically, all the little things added up. I could have been happy with the BigTex, but I'm happy with the PJ.

/ So many trailer manufacturers to choose from... #43  

Depends where you are going but a pierced frame trailer with a dovetail is LOW in the back. I have a 32' PJ tandem dual GN without the pierced frame and I occasionally drag the back. I looked at a pierced frame and while the lower deck height is nice the lower ground clearance isn't worth it in my opinion unless you never go off the highway. The big PJ dealer in our area has 10 to 1 regular height vs the pierced frame because no one wants them dragging everywhere.

I do not see any mig wire stubs on my PJ and I have crawled all around it. Having looked at PJ and Big Tex side by side the PJ just seems better made. Hard to point to any one specific detail they just seem better. I looked at both before I bought mine and I have owned several Big Tex as well in the past.

/ So many trailer manufacturers to choose from... #44  
TSO and bdog, thanks for the replies.
The main reason I want the pierced frame is I have to load / haul hay a few times a year and those few inches feel like a few feet by the time I get finished loading. I recently realized I'm not getting any younger.
I need to make my decision quick, those trailers sell fast around here.

/ So many trailer manufacturers to choose from... #45  
   / So many trailer manufacturers to choose from...
I finally took delivery of my 20' PJ this weekend. Two boards came damaged from the factory so the dealer threw in some stake-pocket d-rings, hub caps and shaved some off the price-tag. Defects are nothing to cry about. It's a nice trailer and not that much harder to maneuver than my old 16'.

/ So many trailer manufacturers to choose from... #47  
I finally took delivery of my 20' PJ this weekend. Two boards came damaged from the factory so the dealer threw in some stake-pocket d-rings, hub caps and shaved some off the price-tag. Defects are nothing to cry about. It's a nice trailer and not that much harder to maneuver than my old 16'.

Sounds like the kind of dealer I like doing business with

/ So many trailer manufacturers to choose from... #48  

You know how it goes on this site, if there are no pics, then it didn't happen. Enjoy the new trailer.

/ So many trailer manufacturers to choose from... #49  
I just shopped for (& brought home today) an 18' tandem 5200# axle car-hauler/light-equipment trailer; thought I'd add an up-to-date post as these (older) threads did help me a lot.

in my area, i had dealers for the following; so i only really evaluated these:
  • big tex
  • mirage
  • pj
  • c&b
Design (best to worst)
  1. big tex
    1. Big tex seems to have the most engineered/complicated (in a good way) design from the ramps to the drop jack
    2. but i don't need the lowest deck, and the big-tex car hauler model 10CH has a sunk deck with ~4" tall 3/8" steel bar "walls" around the deck. Sure they're strong, but it seems like i'd destroy them over time setting things down; not worth the lower deck for me.
    3. C&B was a beefier build, no extra features but seemed very well thought out
  2. C&B - a little simpler than the big tex, but obviously more robust. C&B beat PJ here because the fenders are _plenty_ strong enough for a GAM (grown ass man - new acronym for TBN. Its a thing) to stand on. Can't believe the others don't do this. You walk all around it to tie-down for god's sake... let me walk on the fenders!
  3. P&J - pretty similar to C&B, the fenders in particular stood out.
  4. mirage - not bad at all. Had nice step-ups on the side. Just a simple design *but* less beefy than the C&B / PJ
Apparent strength / robustness
  1. C&B won hands down; not a _huge_ difference, but it was noticeable.
  2. PJ
  3. Big tex & mirage were about the same
    1. Note: I also considered (and might have purchased if it were in-stock) the BigTex 7k-axle "14ET" models; premium of ~$1800 more than the 10CH's priced below BUT dramatically more robust trailer. Maybe even worth the ~$1000 premium over the C&B
Build quality (mainly welds, paint) All had acceptable fir or PT pine decks.
  1. C&B - the only one i didn't find any real well defects (some globbing; but no severe under cutts, blow-throughs, etc. Paint was great too, they say (and it appears) they use a better automotive paint than the others
  2. PJ -
    1. So the Powder Coat - initially i was dead set on the PJ given it's guality build and powder coat - however, after reading several reviews about flaking, i realized that after _some_ number of years all the paint, including definitely the PowderCoat will require work ... on the paint this is just touch-up; but on the powder coat it flakes off, so to see/find (let alone prevent) where it's rusting, i'd need to sandblast it. Not worth it for a utility device, so i figured the trailer would after a few years go from looking the best to by far the worst.
  3. mirage & big text were the same - some weld issues (albeit NOT in the key structural areas), paint just OK
price (retail prices - i was able to negotiate ~small concessions on all ($100-$400) - but it's a bad year to get deals). all are pull-out ramps, flat deck between wheels (not deck-over) unless noted
  1. $4500 - big tex 10ch 18' (10k gvw, flat deck, pull out ramps, no spare, adjustable hitch
  2. $5000 - mirage 18', with spare, fixed hitch
  3. $5300 - C&B 18', no spare, fixed hitch
  4. $5500 - PJ 18', no spare, adjustable hitch (note, they also negotiated the most; albeit still not that much these days)

Sooooo ... I went C&B what won me was:
  • overall build quality
  • high-quality paint (much more spot-fixable in several years)
  • frame built locally in idaho
Hope that helps someone. Ask me a in a few years how it went! :)