Buying Advice Southern VT Newbie Advice

/ Southern VT Newbie Advice #51  
Hi Bullwinkle

First time poster long time reader. I actually just went through exactly what you are as far a buying a tractor. I recently bought a large 275 acre spread in south eastern NH moving from southern VT, and need something bigger that my BX2350. To be honest the decision that I found to be most important was cab or no cab. This really changes the makes and models to look at. I made the decision to go with a cab, mainly because I was sick and tired of freezing my tail off plowing in the winter. I wanted a 40 to 50 horse tractor with a cab but really didn't need lots of bells and whistles. I spoke to all the earlier dealers that were mentioned and test drove a bunch. I decided on the Kioti as it has a cab and a few bells and whistles but the price was lower that most others. I have dealt with Orchard Hill and Pinnacle view equipment and have only good things to say about both. Hope this helps.

/ Southern VT Newbie Advice #52  
To all, I'm searching but haven't yet found a topic about "resale potential" of tractors. I'm trying to figure out if I can justify extra cost with the assumption that I'll eventually sell it and recoup a reasonable portion of my investment. What is the depreciation factor? What percentage might I eventually get back in 10/15/20 years assuming relatively light use and good care? My attachments will likely have to live outside somewhere, the tractor should fit in my barn (which is kind of short) or garage (which is extra tall).

[Update]: I read a bunch of "resale value" topics. There seems to be a consensus in those topics that tractors have a very low rate of depreciation, after an initial hit, and that buying a new one is, at the least, not a mistake should you sell it some years later, because they hold their value so well. With some variation for regional differences, brand in the region, and so forth (and of course, how well you take care of it). So, it may be a bigger initial outlay, but with more peace of mind from the warrantee, and good recovery at the time of reselling. At least for the tractor itself, vs attachments. Again, what I'm reciting here is what I felt was the consensus after reading many topics in this web site on resale value. There was also some religion and personal-when-it-shouldn't-be discussion in those discussions. Or do you feel I've arrived at the wrong concensus?

I may be the odd man out here but hear me out. Buying a machine that is quality to start with I think in it's self will hold value. But here is where I stray the idea of buying something so its worth more at resale doesn't hold much water, maybe for a business or guy that is buying a new machine every other year, but in general when you start thinking about it logically not sure there is much merit.

Now when I say this I am talking about buying new and then selling it down the road. Because there are guys that will jump on here and say bought my tractor 10 years ago and just sold it for the same price, but what they don't tell you is they bought it used, yes it matters.

But for starters I never buy anything or maintain an item for the next guy, I buy what I need and want and take care of it because that is what I want. Like I said buying something of quality will mean it will hold up and that by its self will maintain value. The next thing to think about is by the time you factor in purchase price, maint cost, insurance, operating cost, inflation of dollars, most of the time you are going to lose money, you just will. Also when you look at guys numbers at times in terms of what they said they bought it for and sold it for, their math doesnt work out. You will see things like I bought by JD for 20k in 2000 and sold it for 12k this year, and are happy about it. But the guy that bought an off brand bought the same kind of tractor for 15k at the same time and sold it for 9k. Well yeah the JD made more money but it also cost more money up front so there was no doing better there.

Bottom line is this you buy a recognizable quality machine and take care of it, resale will take care of its self. Worrying about its value 20 years is illogical, as the cost and return will be so convoluted at that point. TBH I dont like throwing my money away but something that is 20 years old, at that point I would be happy to just get rid of it. Now if it is something you plan getting out from in 5 years or less, taking a closer look might be worthwhile.

/ Southern VT Newbie Advice
Hi Bullwinkle

First time poster long time reader. I actually just went through exactly what you are as far a buying a tractor. I recently bought a large 275 acre spread in south eastern NH moving from southern VT, and need something bigger that my BX2350. To be honest the decision that I found to be most important was cab or no cab. This really changes the makes and models to look at. I made the decision to go with a cab, mainly because I was sick and tired of freezing my tail off plowing in the winter. I wanted a 40 to 50 horse tractor with a cab but really didn't need lots of bells and whistles. I spoke to all the earlier dealers that were mentioned and test drove a bunch. I decided on the Kioti as it has a cab and a few bells and whistles but the price was lower that most others. I have dealt with Orchard Hill and Pinnacle view equipment and have only good things to say about both. Hope this helps.

Thanks, my neighbors like PinnacleView too, and another poster here, I'll check it out. I guess I need to check out Padula Bros. in Greenfield MA for some Deere equipment.

/ Southern VT Newbie Advice
I may be the odd man out here but hear me out. Buying a machine that is quality to start with I think in it's self will hold value. But here is where I stray the idea of buying something so its worth more at resale doesn't hold much water, maybe for a business or guy that is buying a new machine every other year, but in general when you start thinking about it logically not sure there is much merit.

Now when I say this I am talking about buying new and then selling it down the road. Because there are guys that will jump on here and say bought my tractor 10 years ago and just sold it for the same price, but what they don't tell you is they bought it used, yes it matters.

But for starters I never buy anything or maintain an item for the next guy, I buy what I need and want and take care of it because that is what I want. Like I said buying something of quality will mean it will hold up and that by its self will maintain value. The next thing to think about is by the time you factor in purchase price, maint cost, insurance, operating cost, inflation of dollars, most of the time you are going to lose money, you just will. Also when you look at guys numbers at times in terms of what they said they bought it for and sold it for, their math doesnt work out. You will see things like I bought by JD for 20k in 2000 and sold it for 12k this year, and are happy about it. But the guy that bought an off brand bought the same kind of tractor for 15k at the same time and sold it for 9k. Well yeah the JD made more money but it also cost more money up front so there was no doing better there.

Bottom line is this you buy a recognizable quality machine and take care of it, resale will take care of its self. Worrying about its value 20 years is illogical, as the cost and return will be so convoluted at that point. TBH I dont like throwing my money away but something that is 20 years old, at that point I would be happy to just get rid of it. Now if it is something you plan getting out from in 5 years or less, taking a closer look might be worthwhile.

Well, I'm not quite that extreme about worrying about resale value, but if I'm gonna drop 40-50k on a tractor and attachments and old age surprises me with a heart attack or something else, I may need to sell sooner than I hope and so I need to consider how much of my investment I could get back in that case. If I was a younger/healthier guy I might think about resale less. Death is nature's way of saying "time to sell the tractor" (at least for my kids, who won't be needing it).

/ Southern VT Newbie Advice #55  
Well, I'm not quite that extreme about worrying about resale value, but if I'm gonna drop 40-50k on a tractor and attachments and old age surprises me with a heart attack or something else, I may need to sell sooner than I hope and so I need to consider how much of my investment I could get back in that case. If I was a younger/healthier guy I might think about resale less. Death is nature's way of saying "time to sell the tractor" (at least for my kids, who won't be needing it).

If you really look at say buying a kubota or JD verse something the percent return tends to be about the same. One thing to be said about the better known brands is sell ability which does have value, but doesnt always mean worth more grand scheme