Squirrels, in house. What to do?

/ Squirrels, in house. What to do? #1  

coffeeman

Platinum Member
Good afternoon all.

Squirrels are invading my house. They are actually lifting shingles in house near gutter. Chased
them out in Spring. Back at it today. How do I discourage them to leave the area.

Closest tree 20 yds. I have gutter guards. I have small shrubs and trees around house.
Lots of mulch. Seen squirrel actually climb brick wall to roof.

I've heard moth balls will discourage snakes. (don't know if true) Is there something
that would make the squirrels want lo leave?

Cheers.........Coffeeman

/ Squirrels, in house. What to do? #2  
What part of the world are you in? Squirrels do not invade attics here (unless they're "really well" ventilated) until about mid October. There is likely rotten wood under the shingles. Fix it.

/ Squirrels, in house. What to do? #3  
LARGE bucket 1/2 full of water. Sprinkle sunflower seeds in the water to form a floating surface. Provide a ladder for them to climb up into the bucket. Hide the life jackets. Ignore the splashing and cries for help. Empty as necessary. Hawks and eagles will gladly take the remains.

/ Squirrels, in house. What to do? #4  
Everybody got jokes!

Get a small trap and set it in the attic.

/ Squirrels, in house. What to do? #7  
A trap with irresistible bait. Traps work 24/7 and never get tired of waiting.

My Uncle's 2 year old house burned to the ground for that very reason. They gnawed some wires in the attic. They got rid of the squirrels, but it burned before he could fix the wire.
I don't say that to scare you -- but it's serious business.

/ Squirrels, in house. What to do?
What part of the world are you in? Squirrels do not invade attics here (unless they're "really well" ventilated) until about mid October. There is likely rotten wood under the shingles. Fix it.

Pennsylvania. New roof 5 yrs. They might not be in attic, but have found nests in gutter. Gutters have guard against leaves.

Cheers

/ Squirrels, in house. What to do? #10  
Do as zzvyb6 suggests with the bucket,water & seeds. Set traps OUTSIDE the attic - away from the house. Lord, you do not want to attract them into your attic with the traps. If this fails seek professional exterminator help.

Figure out what is in your attic that attracts them and get rid or move it to an alternate location.