Squirrels, in house. What to do?

/ Squirrels, in house. What to do? #31  
I had a squirrel in the attic incident. I made a small "ladder" for the house cat to get in there through the access hatch. After a couple of days I found the squirrel's entrance, sealed it, and the squirrels never made any known effort to get back in. I think they remembered the cat.

One of the vent screens was loose. They pried it wider to enter, then it shut behind them. No visible entrance. I found it by seeing one go through.

The cat still begs to go squirrel hunting in the attic.

Bruce

/ Squirrels, in house. What to do? #33  
I have a friend that had squirrels get into his attic and get cozy. After a little while he found they were coming in and out at the decorative vent at the gable end of his roof. He used 1/4 inch wire screen like what you would build a rabbit cage with and covered the vent on the inside. The squirrels were not happy and couldn't find another way in so they chewed right through the shingles and plywood and got right back in. As was said earlier, once they think that is home, you have to kill them.

When squirrels almost caused my house to burn down a few years ago I decided I had enough. I killed every squirrel I saw for about two years after blocking every access hole I could find to my attic. Finally there were none that thought the attic was home and they stayed out. From then on I mostly let them live. Unless the kids wanted squirrel tacos for dinner. :)

/ Squirrels, in house. What to do? #34  
When they re-did my roof shingles several years ago, we found that the roof decking stopped just about 3/4"-1" shy of the facia boards in numerous places. So if squirrels got inside the gutters, they could push up on the shingles when they were warm and flexible and make just enough of a gap to squeeze through into the attic. Some 3"x3" galvanized angle sheet metal (plus covering the gutters with metal debris guards) put a stop to that.

- Jay

/ Squirrels, in house. What to do?
I had a squirrel in the attic incident. I made a small "ladder" for the house cat to get in there through the access hatch. After a couple of days I found the squirrel's entrance, sealed it,

The cat still begs to go squirrel hunting in the attic.

Bruce

I never thought of cats.. Thats a plan. Are they any good for groundhogs??

/ Squirrels, in house. What to do? #36  
I never thought of cats.. Thats a plan. Are they any good for groundhogs??

Don't know, never had groundhogs in the attic.

Bruce