Squished Snake ID (Icky pic, Guts)

/ Squished Snake ID (Icky pic, Guts) #22  
I think I know what this is and I don't like them being anywhere near me. Confused as to what happened though. It wasn't there the first time I walked past this spot, but it was when I came back about a half hour later. I'm guessing it got dun runned over by a car, but we have hawks, falcons and other predator birds, so who knows. It's the mice though .... where did they come from? Snakes eat mice, but they don't drag them around, do they?

View attachment 615784

Snake was a copperhead.

One can deduce from the picture that is was an apparent double murder / suicide. Best guess is the snake had regrets and decided to not get out of the way of an oncoming Jeep. One could also deduce from the image that it was apparent that the birds of prey were waiting for a wildlife official to canvass the scene of the crime or perhaps they just weren't in the right spot at the right time to pick up the evidence?

/ Squished Snake ID (Icky pic, Guts)
You know, the funny thing is, I didn't see a vehicle in the area during that time period. Not saying there wasn't one pass that I didn't notice, but this is a remote rural road that doesn't really go anywhere. I've seen a lot of road kill and there's usually some signs of a flat spot which I didn't see here. I didn't get real close though just in case it had one last lurch left.

Makes me wonder if it wasn't a predator bird to begin with.