SSQA, From the Seat Release

/ SSQA, From the Seat Release #21  
Here is the Bob-tach system on the Toolcat.

/ SSQA, From the Seat Release #22  
I confess that I haven't taken my manual ones off to clean them up and check how they work.

But I "think" that whether the lever actuation is manual or electric or hydraulic the only difference is in how the cam lever is being moved - it doesn't change the spring force that is used to engage the vertical tapered locking pin of the SSQA into the bottom slot on the bucket.

rScotty
Don't forget, if electric or hydraulic locked the cylinders that lock the handles also have resistance on the handles to prevent them from unlocking if a stick would bump them vs manual

/ SSQA, From the Seat Release #24  
I confess that I haven't taken my manual ones off to clean them up and check how they work.

But I "think" that whether the lever actuation is manual or electric or hydraulic the only difference is in how the cam lever is being moved - it doesn't change the spring force that is used to engage the vertical tapered locking pin of the SSQA into the bottom slot on the bucket.

I could be wrong on that; like I say I haven't taken the assembly apart to study it. Someone who has is welcome to explain.

rScotty

The spring isn’t the weak link. The power one is continuously held down. It would take a catastrophic failure for the hydraulic one to come undone. Brush can undo the manual levers.

/ SSQA, From the Seat Release #25  
Both my SSQA's one is OEM Kubota the other isn't, have grease fitting on both the arm pins and on the slide locks but I still always look to make sure the tapered pins are in full engagement. On a smaller unit I can see the advantage, on mine, not so much, besides, only takes about 10 seconds to engage manually.

/ SSQA, From the Seat Release #26  
The advantage is during an 8-10 hour day of switching between a log grapple and a bucket, it’s much easier and more efficient. If only switching implements once in a while, it’s not needed.
Go watch backhoe operators switch between a broom and a bucket, forks, etc. All they have are IT (integrated tool) carriers on them.

/ SSQA, From the Seat Release #27  
The advantage is during an 8-10 hour day of switching between a log grapple and a bucket, it’s much easier and more efficient. If only switching implements once in a while, it’s not needed.
Go watch backhoe operators switch between a broom and a bucket, forks, etc. All they have are IT (integrated tool) carriers on them.

I agree for the average homeowner or farmer that probably isn’t going to change between their bucket or hay spear more than every few days it’s not needed. I have a multiple skid steer implements and switch them out frequently. It’s nice for doing that.

/ SSQA, From the Seat Release #28  
I agree for the average homeowner or farmer that probably isn’t going to change between their bucket or hay spear more than every few days it’s not needed. I have a multiple skid steer implements and switch them out frequently. It’s nice for doing that.

Kinda agree, but you forgot about something: attachment weight and size.

When attachments get very large-like 8’ or larger, they also get very heavy. Shoving around a 5’ bucket is a joke compared to an 8’ bucket.

Having power attachments for large heavy implements is easier on the back and prevents injury. Thats why you see so many newer 125-250 HP tractors with loaders, backhoes and even large skid steers equipped with them.

It’s smarter, safer and easier on the back-even if it’s just a few times a week.

/ SSQA, From the Seat Release #29  
About how I feel. It's clever and I'd use it on a smaller tractor. On the M59 with 4000 lbs of lift, the latch pins can get a little bit sticky. Half the time I can work the levers by hand - but the other times it helps to use a handy 4 foot cheater pipe.

I also like to visually inspect that the bottom pins engage and that means getting down off and taking a close look. The visibility on the SSQA fron the tractor cockpit isn't all that good.
One time last year one pin didn't fully engage and over a bump the empty bucket went sideways & almost came off. Just dumb luck I didn't end up tweaking some part of the SSQA or loader. Now I always get off and check.

On a smaller barnyard chore tractor I'd think it would be worth doing. The video is definitely worth watching if for no other reason than to see an old style craftsman at work.

rScotty
Hi rScotty. Isnt your pin engagement visible from the seat if you lift the implement and curl forward?

Last edited:
   / SSQA, From the Seat Release #30  
I did (and redid with a better actuator) that on my old L3200 back in 2014. Linear actuator for power SSQA?

I have most or all of the parts to make a hydraulic one on my now 5 year old L4060hstc. But haven't been motivated enough to complete the build.

Hydraulic will be better, but the right linear actuator will be cheaper & easier.