Snow Equipment Buying/Pricing SSQA Front Blade

/ SSQA Front Blade #1  

MooseOnTheLoose

Tractor
2018 Kubota MX5800
Finalized a deal yesterday on a new Kubota MX5800 (58 HP 4wd HST utility tractor for the non-orange readers). I'm upgrading from an L3800 (38 HP compact).

Living in the front range of Colorado, our snow varies widely, but usually doesn't stick around all winter. I've plowed with a rear blade up to now, but its a literal pain in the neck, puts too much gravel in the grass, and is just slow. I like hyperdrive. So, I'm currently considering a front SSQA blade. Looking at the Land Pride STB15 - probably a 7'. New tractor has dual rear remotes, so I'm thinking of running hydraulic angling.

Posting in search of advice on brands and what to look for (If there is an opinion to stick with a rear blade, I'd be open to that - hopefully something with shoes).

FWIW, I've got about 1/4 mile in 3 different drives, a couple large areas, and a circle drive, so quite a variety of areas. All quite flat. I don't expect to be doing more than 12" very often at all. I've plowed with truck plow in the mountains before years ago and it certainly seemed nicer to be pushing instead of pulling snow up your back side.

/ SSQA Front Blade #2  
I bought this one and had to add a second set of trip springs. I also added a cross over valve. And a part of the mount for the ram broke.
It is an Agri Ease. Did I mention I bought it new from the dealer it was a deal!?!?

Requirements-
Cross over valve
Trip springs/mechanism
Wider than machine when angled
Strong/reputable brand and design

/ SSQA Front Blade #3  
:welcome:
To the TBN forum Moose. You sure came to the right place as we love spending someone else's money. :laughing:

I am a little surprised that you are not getting a cab model if your going to be pushing much snow around.

/ SSQA Front Blade #4  
I run an 8' converted truck plow on my L4240;you should be able to handle a 9' with 58 hp.Post #2 hit the nail on the head.

/ SSQA Front Blade #5  
Make sure the plow shoes extend down far enough so that they can be riding down in the gravel while keeping your blade edge up. Lateral float is a nice feature if you can get it, helps your blade follow the contours. HLA Snow | 2 SnowBlade

/ SSQA Front Blade
Make sure the plow shoes extend down far enough so that they can be riding down in the gravel while keeping your blade edge up. Lateral float is a nice feature if you can get it, helps your blade follow the contours.

Good info on the crossover valves and the lateral float option was a new one to me, but certainly see the value there! Thanks guys.

FatTire - you are in Colorado - do you have a place to work with to get TLA plows? Network seems a little weird around here, but I've seen a few recommend them.

Anyone with experience with the land pride plows? I've generally like their stuff and then parts would be readily available.

/ SSQA Front Blade #7  
Btw- if you have freeze/thaw of the driveway the SSQA blade will need to be a “proper” design. Typically in that situation simply putting the loader in float and using the curl and feet to keep from digging into a gravel drive will be tough- it works awesome in an area where the driveway stays frozen all winter.

If your drive doesn’t stay frozen the rear blade or a blade that in hinged to keep the loader weight off of it will work MUCH better! I have a hard time in the fall, before it fully freezes, with my SSQA blade. But once it freezes I’m in great shape. In the fall I have better luck with my box blade. But I’m just trying to make a nice “base” rather then remove everything down to the road base.

/ SSQA Front Blade #8  
A snow pusher less expensive, no need for hydraulics. Also I have a Agrital aftermarket all glass cab. A nice feature for the MX.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2018-10-10-17-23-24.png
    Screenshot_2018-10-10-17-23-24.png
    2 MB · Views: 332
  • Screenshot_2018-10-10-17-29-59.png
    Screenshot_2018-10-10-17-29-59.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 283
   / SSQA Front Blade #10  
I have an HLA 2000 series ssqa blade that I like. It’s built like a tank, and has 5 degree lateral oscillation.
I wouldn’t want to use it on gravel though.