Starlink

/ Starlink #1,421  
You folks that have gotten Dishy, is there any special day of the week they send out notifications that your dish is being shipped or do they do it every day?

Kind of confused on what your asking. They send you an e-mail and ask for permission to charge for the equipment. If you pay, they give you a ship date (expected) date.

/ Starlink #1,422  
We ordered our Dish in early Feb 2021 so I am hoping we get it soon. The website says mid to late 2021. Well it ain't mid 2021 anymore so hopefully soon.

We have been using UbiFi for a couple of years and they just put a bandwidth limit on us at 300MB per money, which really will not affect us since the most we have used is 170MB and average 130MB. What is a killer is that the price went from $89 to $119!

Need Starlink so we can cancel UbiFi....

Later,
Dan

/ Starlink #1,423  
Kind of confused on what your asking. They send you an e-mail and ask for permission to charge for the equipment. If you pay, they give you a ship date (expected) date.
Just wondering if they send a batch of emails out on just one day of the week or do they send them out everyday. For example every Monday they send all the emails for the week?

/ Starlink #1,424  
Just wondering if they send a batch of emails out on just one day of the week or do they send them out everyday. For example every Monday they send all the emails for the week?
Looking over at Reddit, I don't see a pattern of when emails are sent out, but that may change as Starlink comes out of beta, but I doubt it. You would want to keep shipping working uniformly as possible.

Currently, Starlink seem to be working through some complex system of people and cells of interest (social media influence, country of interest, latitude, adjacency to ground station, local population density...)

So, who knows?

All the best,

Peter

/ Starlink #1,425  
Probably 3/4", I'd have to go check though. I wouldn't run anything through smaller than 3/4" these days. Better to pay a few bucks for bigger conduit than fight friction cramming stuff into to small of conduit & breaking wires or other stuff. Fiber is often stronger than you may think, but its still pretty fragile, especially when pulling it pre-terminated when you can't just cut off a mangled end. I generally go with 1" even now.

That being said, fiber is thin. As was noted, the connectors will be the hard part to fit through.

If it's going to be a one-off thing, I would buy a cable that comes with pulling baskets attached, we've done that at work and they work very nicely.

Aaron Z

/ Starlink #1,426  
One thing about pulling fiber is that it is quite weak and doesn't tolerant forceful pulls, or sharp bends. Use lots of cable pulling lube, lube the conduit both ways first and be gentle. It is very different from pulling coax or electrical wires. (E.g. the use of sweeps, and don't use LBs)

I would also really oversize conduit. One broken fiber end will more than pay for the larger conduit.

+1 on the preinstalled pulling baskets which have the force applied to the cable not the connectors.

All the best,

Peter

/ Starlink #1,427  
Sofar I have moved my disc 3 times to find a perfect spot for it. I have a large shed about 40 feet from the house and set the dish on the roof. We have a bunch of trees around us.
I have set the modem in the shed and am getting a excellent strength wireless signal. The signal drops to medium at the back of the house. Also have a barn about 100 feet from the dish that gives a medium to fai signal.
Being a TOTAL novice untrained in modems and signal boosters.... what is a great option (that is real simple) to boost my signal?

also would cold weather affect the modem if left in the shed?

Thanks!!!

/ Starlink #1,429  
Like others here, I ordered Starlink in Feb and still nothing. One of my neighbors used a service address of his friend in the small town that is about 20Km from us and he got his set up within 2 weeks and it works great. My other neighbor acquired here fathers setup when they moved to the City. That dish was in a service area that is about 25km from us and it also works great.

I'm thinking of cancelling my order and reordering using a service address in the small town near us. Does anyone know if the same service address can be used for more than one setup and does the dish get delivered to the service address or the billing address?

/ Starlink #1,430  
Sofar I have moved my disc 3 times to find a perfect spot for it. I have a large shed about 40 feet from the house and set the dish on the roof. We have a bunch of trees around us.
I have set the modem in the shed and am getting a excellent strength wireless signal. The signal drops to medium at the back of the house. Also have a barn about 100 feet from the dish that gives a medium to fai signal.
Being a TOTAL novice untrained in modems and signal boosters.... what is a great option (that is real simple) to boost my signal?

also would cold weather affect the modem if left in the shed?

Thanks!!!
Look into wifi mesh systems to distribute the connection. Possibly in combination with a wireless bridge that would beam your wifi network signal from your shed to your house.