Starlink

/ Starlink #1,441  
Yes, a deposit, versus full payment for purchase, will have no expected delivery timeline until they are able to expand capacity.

The service is 'available' everywhere within the latitudes they currently cover, just with a limitation of only a certain number of customers per cell. A cell is their construct to map out the geography over the area they cover with hexagonal sections. Each cell is allowed some (apparently quite limited) number of customers. Someone else got in before you in your cell. Your deposit holds a place within your cell so when capacity rises you'll get a chance to have your order fulfilled.

They use these cells to limit connections to the sats as the sat is passing overhead within the cone of visibility of the dish on the ground. This is due to both the smaller number of sats in the sky and the limited number of receiving ground stations in place so far.

Rob
My neighbor that abuts my south property line received his dish within 2 weeks of ordering and he ordered 5 months after I did. I placed my order 7 months ago and still have not received confirmation of shipment. The difference being that I used my true service location and he used a service location for an address in the little town close to us. That town is 20 km away. Despite the service locations difference he still gets excellent service and loves it.

The neigbor that abuts my east property line relocated her parents dish to her house and it works but does tell her that the service locations is not correct and she may experience service issues. to date she has not experienced service issues and her parents house was at least 25 km from her location.

Obviously there is service to my area and I applied before my neighbors. Yet they have operating systems and I do not.

edit: sp and grammer.

Last edited:
   / Starlink #1,445  
Well Elon Barnum has moved the expected available date to mid next year for my area.
Gonna have to go another route, Hughesnet has got to go.
Son ran a 1000’ of fiber to the top of the hill and gets 30 down 8 up using a cell service at $50 per 100 gb. He said that he has spare lines if I want to go that route.

/ Starlink #1,446  
Well Elon Barnum has moved the expected available date to mid next year for my area.
Gonna have to go another route, Hughesnet has got to go.
Son ran a 1000’ of fiber to the top of the hill and gets 30 down 8 up using a cell service at $50 per 100 gb. He said that he has spare lines if I want to go that route.
How does he power the cell service from the hill down. might be something I have to do too....

/ Starlink #1,447  
forgeblast he uses a deep cycle battery and a solar panel.
He may need to add another battery and or get a bigger solar panel this winter.

/ Starlink #1,448  
Son ran a 1000’ of fiber to the top of the hill and gets 30 down 8 up using a cell service at $50 per 100 gb.
I presume you put a cell antenna / repeater at the top of the hill? Can you share what equipment you used? Not exactly sure how you are using a fiber connection for this but I could potentially do the same.

/ Starlink #1,449  
@Alan W. Great job by your son!

I looked into doing the same thing, here. LTE modem on a tower at the top of the hill, independently powered by solar to save running power five hundred very awkward and challenging feet. By using fiber instead of copper wire to send the data signals down the hill, you can run much farther between pieces of equipment (repeaters), and you avoid lightning induced voltage surges in the data lines. You could also do it via radio links, but they require more power than fiber. I think fiber is the better way, but it is really six of one, half dozen the other...

If you have T-mobile in the area, have a look at Calyx that has some relatively low cost truly unlimited data options. It isn't simple, but it might save you a lot. I think that a big item is finding data plans that meet your cost and performance requirements.

All the best,

Peter