Starlink

/ Starlink #2,291  
I'm north of Vernon BC and was able to order Starlink along with an ethernet adapter(for the new Gen 2 equipment) March 22. It was scheduled to ship April 1 to April 7. I canceled the order today and will reapply when I get get my refund.

I'm on cellular service from a tower 30 km away. The signal (using dual yagiREF2 antennae) was great until December 2020 when it abruptly went from -92 dBm to -119. It has remained that way since. I tried several times to get past the "Help Desk" call centre to 2nd-level support but no such luck. Our downloads of around 15 to 20 Mbps was acceptable but the upload speed of 200 kbps made it difficult to send anything with photos, etc. I checked the connection every month or so the over the last two years with it always showing around -119 dBm with the usual acceptable 15+ Mbps download and poor 200 Kbps upload speeds.

So yesterday I decided to check the signal. It is now steady at -92 dBm with uploads averaging around 15 Mbps down and 10 Mbps up on LTE and 45 Mbps down and 11 Mbps up with on 4G. I think the LTE/4G switching is due to the service changing between the 700 MHz band and higher bands. I don't know anything about this but that is what a 2nd-level person told me the one time in December 2015. That resulted in my installing the yagi antennae.

Since my testing has been on the weekend I would have preferred to wait until the business day tomorrow to see if service degrades due to higher traffic. But I canceled anyway to be sure they did not ship the equipment and I'd have to ship it back. I'm impressed with Starlink's procedures. As soon as I canceled the account I got three emails stating they have submitted refund for the original deposit, the Starlink equipment and ethernet adapter. When those show up I'll re-order to get back on the waiting list, just in case the cell service reverts to a poor signal.

Starlink is a much better option from a speed point of view but our existing service more than meets our requirements(in our late '70's). My main concerns with Starlink was the likely long downtime to get new equipment should some component fail, the work installing it, and the higher power requirements(including heating in winter). My existing internet will operate for hours during a power outage. That lets us check BC Hydro's Outage System to see if it has been reported and to get and idea when it will be back on. Even with Starlink I was planning to keep a "bare bones" cellular plan at $10 month as a backup(we don't have data cell phone plans).

Regardless, I'll reapply for Starlink again to keep that option open.
What do you pay for your 4G/LTE service? I assume you canceled Starlink due to the higher cost?

The Gen 2 equipment lets you turn off the dish heater to conserve power. It also has an automatic setting which turns it off when the temps are above freezing. The power requirements are somewhat less than the Gen 1 system.

/ Starlink #2,292  
We are on a "grandfathered" Rogers Mobile Internet Flex stepped plan of $60/5GB, $75/10GB, $90/20GB, $110/50GB, $145/100GB. If over 100GB it costs the $145 + $5 for each GB in excess of the 100GB. Rogers revised the plans to more expensive rates a few years ago but old remain in place as long as long as you keep them.

Starlink in Canada increased from $129 to $149 per month on April 2. When I ordered my Starlink equipment the rate was cost was $649 and that is the rate I paid. Two hours later Starlink announced an increase to $699 for deposit holders and $749 for new orders. I need wired ethernet and ordered the adapter which Gen 2 requires for $45. I also needed a $70 router.

Our data needs are modest. We use the internet for banking, shopping, email, news (mainstream and alternatives) and YouTube videos. We abandoned our satellite TV 2 years ago and gave up on Netflix a bit later. We just weren't watching it. We have a great library system where we can get movies, TV series and other DVDs, but mainly we just watch YouTube and other videos on topics that we like. We each have Windows computers but mostly use Android tablets for entertainment and learning. Our interests are completely different so we often use earphones so we don't interfere with each other. Instead of cloud services we have a couple of Synology DS118 NASes for data backups.

We are usually under the 50 GB/$110 rate but exceeded it once or twice last year when Microsoft did their giant updates on our Windows computers. We're getting closer to the 50 GB limit most months and the $145/100 GB rate will likely be the new normal soon.

My main concern with Starlink was the potential for long downtime from equipment failure. I was planning to keep our cellular internet for backup but would have changed it to a minimum plan at $10 for 100MB per month plus expensive additions if you go over the 100MB. It would have been used only during power outages or a Starlink failure. Short power outages are fairly common. The Rogers ZTE MF275R router has a battery backup that will last for an hour or so and an UPS will run it for many more. I read where the Starlink Gen 2 averages about 39 watts without the heaters plus I would have to run the new router required for wired ethernet. I can't find data for the ZTE router but it is likely a lot less than that. It's handy to have internet during an outage. BC Hydro has a good outage reporting system so rather than calling about the outage you can check to see if it has already been reported. Once they have determined the trouble they even give an expected restoration time. But until then you can often determine when you will be back on depending on what other outages are in the area. If it's only going to be a few hours I don't bother getting out the generator and extension cords. The Starlink would give us less time to use the internet without a generator.

The main reason I ordered Starlink was because our cell signal was very marginal and upload capacity essentially useless. I only discovered yesterday that the cell signal has gone back to good values after over two years of marginal values. Although much lower than Starlink, the cellular data rates with these good signal levels readily meet our needs.

I intend to reorder Starlink($130 deposit) and re-evaluate our cell signals when they again offer to ship the equipment. The Starlink satellite coverage is great at my location. The data from this site:

Satellite Map

normally shows 3 to 4 possible connections at any given time. I have never seen 0 and have seen up to 8. Also, a couple of neighbours on our road have Starlink and are very happy with the service.

/ Starlink #2,293  
I understand your situation. It's considerably different here in the US. Starlink claims they can ship replacements in 4 days or less depending on the part. I have no personal experience with this but I haven't heard a lot of complaints. In my case, I have the advantage of a cellular data plan which can be used as backup if replacement parts are delayed.

The power draw on my Starlink router is closer to 50 watts without the deicer. I have it plugged into my UPS backup power bank which I use for most of my computer equipment. It usually powers all the equipment for 3-4 hours during an outage. Unlike the Gen 1 router, the Gen 2 handles all my connected devices up to 100' away without significant bandwidth loss. I have the ethernet adapter on order but right now, it appears I won't need to connect my existing Netgear Nighthawk router.

Although $50/mo cheaper than Starlink, the 4G/LTE wireless internet I'm using now, throttles service after 150gb and there are frequent service outages. The 45/6 speeds it provides are adequate for our needs though when it works. In the 2 weeks I've had Starlink, the service has been near perfect with only a few outages of very short duration.

All these factors are different depending on location.

/ Starlink #2,294  
OK, I have had Starlink for a few months now;
I have had frequent outages, after the second long one which I contacted Starlink about they did send out a replacement setup.
It took over two weeks to ship I received it almost 3 weeks after I was told it would be coming.
I got it Friday and have not yet replaced everything. What I have found is that by powering down and restarting most any outage over 10 minutes will clear shortly, if I do not cycle power it will be quite a long time regaining signal.
Usually my speeds are very good at times they are not and at times even when the speeds check good the connection seems to need to be refreshed for the next page to display.
So while it is better then what I had before it is also $30 bucks a month more money now.

/ Starlink #2,295  
OK, I have had Starlink for a few months now;
I have had frequent outages, after the second long one which I contacted Starlink about they did send out a replacement setup.
It took over two weeks to ship I received it almost 3 weeks after I was told it would be coming.
I got it Friday and have not yet replaced everything. What I have found is that by powering down and restarting most any outage over 10 minutes will clear shortly, if I do not cycle power it will be quite a long time regaining signal.
Usually my speeds are very good at times they are not and at times even when the speeds check good the connection seems to need to be refreshed for the next page to display.
So while it is better then what I had before it is also $30 bucks a month more money now.
I assume yours in the new rectangular dish since you've only had it a couple months? Seems like there has been an increase in hardware issues since they moved away from the round dish. That's unfortunate. Hopefully your replacement resolves your issues.

I assume you've already checked the app for obstructions and looked at the debug data (under Support, Additional Resources, Advanced) to verify that the 'WedgeFractionObstructedList' and 'WedgeAbsFractionObstructedList' arrays are all '0's? If there are any non-zero numbers listed there your issue may be local obstructions to the dish view of the sky.

/ Starlink #2,296  
Installed my starlink a week ago. It's wonderful. I can actually use my computers now. Best speed before was 1.2Mbps down 0.5 up. Now is 250Mbps and 50 up.
I have no obstructions, I have a 0260 stihl.

/ Starlink #2,299  
It appears Starlink may have some competition. Amazon is also getting into the satellite internet business:

Jeff Bezos may take a slice of Elon Musk's pie.

/ Starlink #2,300  
Starlink has been performing almost perfectly for almost 2 weeks until yesterday. For the last 24 hours, I have been getting 10 to 15 second service interruptions every 4 or 5 minutes. The Starlink app shows no obstructions and all are listed as "network issues". I tried rebooting the system but it made no difference.

Anyone in the northeastern section of PA have the same problem?