Starlink

/ Starlink #981  
Sounds like it works well for you and that comforting to know since I hope to plug our mesh into the Starlink router and hope that all goes well. If not then a direct plug into our mesh should be fine. Thanks for the insight.

/ Starlink #982  
Might have to do some port forwarding. your internet traffic goes thru lots of routers, so that’s not an issue.

/ Starlink #983  
Might have to do some port forwarding. your internet traffic goes thru lots of routers, so that’s not an issue.

What would you have to forward? What ports would require moving to another port?

/ Starlink #984  
I like to forward my video cameras in my house so I can see them remote. Some ISPs will only forward a few standard ports, and won’t let you forward what you want. Or maybe you want remote access to a system in your house that uses http to access, but you can’t use port 80 because your web browsing uses it, so you redirect your system to another port at your router.

Double NAT is not a problem if they forward all ports, some ISPs won’t. Hughesnet wouldnt. I have no problem with my mobley.

Last edited:
   / Starlink #985  
There was some discussion on the Starlink Reddit forum that some mesh systems play nicely with SL, some others don't. I don't have a mesh system so I didn't pay much attention to the discussion.

/ Starlink #986  
Has anyone else got theirs yet? Seems like nothings happening in my area.
I really need to be able to tell Hughesnet to cram it. But I wait.

/ Starlink #988  
Given that most of the satellites launched in the last six months are still ascending/drifting to final orbits, and that those satellites would bring Starlink over their magic 1200 number, I would guess another six months or late summer, or fall before non-beta customers start seeing shipments.There is also the not so small issue of the cost of "Dishy" and the ongoing global chip shortages that may be limiting production of "Dishy".

More information at Planet 489, if you are curious.

Personally, I can't wait.

All the best,

Peter

/ Starlink
Has anyone else got theirs yet? Seems like nothings happening in my area.
I really need to be able to tell Hughesnet to cram it. But I wait.
Here in Indiana I've been waiting to hear from Starlink for 9 months. So far nothing but crickets.

Been there done that with Hughesnet. Told them to cram it 5 years ago when Verizon Wireless became available. It was a great pleasure to use my FEL to smash their dish into a pancake! 🥞

/ Starlink #990  
"The included router seems decent but not anything exceptional. The good thing is that you have options. You can plug your mesh system into the Starlink router for better home coverage or you can omit the Starlink router entirely and just use your own setup. I haven't heard of issues plugging a mesh into the Starlink router. I'm using mine like that the last few days as I've moved on to my next phase of testing/confidence with Starlink. What issues have you heard about?"

I am not a network person, so much of the details about the issues using a mesh router with the Starlink router have to do with "Double NAT" or two IP addresses behind the router. Apparently there is some workaround using a switch or some other changes to the second router, but I have not done a deep dive into the details. We have a number of devices that connect to our mesh system and a too large house so coverage issues for us were solved with the mesh router. When we get our Starlink I am hopeful we can continue to use the mesh system but I am not sure what we give up by excluding the SL router if it causes problems.

I'm not an expert at this, but I believe all you have to do is "dumb down" your mesh router by telling it not to issue IP addresses and plug it into your Starlink router. (it's been years since I've done this, but if I remember the terminology correctly, you turn off the DHCP server on your mesh router. ). Instead, it accepts addresses assigned by the Starlink Router. This avoids the "Double NAT" problem.

You might try asking on the Starlink Reddit - a group of users, some of whom are extremely knowledgable: