Starlink

/ Starlink
For some reason people give the guy millions of dollars and free advertisement every week every month.
Yeah go figure ... he'll probably drive on stage in a Tesla 🚙 or land on stage in a Falcon 9 🚀

/ Starlink #973  
   / Starlink #974  
Maybe this was discussed earlier, but if you have a larger house, is the Starlink router providing adequate coverage? We current use a Netgear Mesh system to get coverage through the house. I believe that I can bypass the Starlink router and plug directly into our current mesh but then we lose access to the statistics that are available with a direct connect to the SL router. And, if I am reading information correctly from some other website, plugging in the mesh network to the SL router can cause problems. So, I am sure someone has a work around for this besides bypassing the SL router?

/ Starlink #975  
The NC governor was talking recently about spending huge sums of money to improve rural internet service. Course, huge sums have already been spent, but my county has seen very little improvement by this spending...

This is a common problem around the world, and I saw that in Ireland, they had spent quite a large sum of money to improve Internet access. The frustrating thing was the "poor" speed on the Irish network was much better than what we get....

By the time the various governments make any real progress, StarLink will have solve the problem. (y) :)

Later,
Dan

/ Starlink #976  
Maybe this was discussed earlier, but if you have a larger house, is the Starlink router providing adequate coverage? We current use a Netgear Mesh system to get coverage through the house. I believe that I can bypass the Starlink router and plug directly into our current mesh but then we lose access to the statistics that are available with a direct connect to the SL router. And, if I am reading information correctly from some other website, plugging in the mesh network to the SL router can cause problems. So, I am sure someone has a work around for this besides bypassing the SL router?

The included router seems decent but not anything exceptional. The good thing is that you have options. You can plug your mesh system into the Starlink router for better home coverage or you can omit the Starlink router entirely and just use your own setup. I haven't heard of issues plugging a mesh into the Starlink router. I'm using mine like that the last few days as I've moved on to my next phase of testing/confidence with Starlink. What issues have you heard about?

The stats and debug stuff can still be accessed without the Starlink router but I believe you have to set up something in your router to get the requests back to the controller correctly (static route??).

Rob

/ Starlink #977  
I'm ok with it.
Maybe I will get the call to "Come On Down!!!!" sooner

/ Starlink #978  
The NC governor was talking recently about spending huge sums of money to improve rural internet service. Course, huge sums have already been spent, but my county has seen very little improvement by this spending...

This is a common problem around the world, and I saw that in Ireland, they had spent quite a large sum of money to improve Internet access. The frustrating thing was the "poor" speed on the Irish network was much better than what we get....

By the time the various governments make any real progress, StarLink will have solve the problem. (y) :)

Later,
Dan

And it is probably a better solution than running wire/fiber all over rural America. I'm almost wishing all the states, feds and whoever that is funneling money into rural broadband infrastructure would band together and support Starlink in a way that reduces the cost to consumers. For instance, have public funds cover half the cost of Starlink infrastructure and then halve the cost to customers because of that subsidy. Just a rough suggestion to get the concept across. I know public/private ventures get complicated, but this could be a good thing and others have worked (toll roads, for instance).

That would get good Internet rolled out far faster to the country than running cable/fiber/copper.

Rob

/ Starlink #979  
"The included router seems decent but not anything exceptional. The good thing is that you have options. You can plug your mesh system into the Starlink router for better home coverage or you can omit the Starlink router entirely and just use your own setup. I haven't heard of issues plugging a mesh into the Starlink router. I'm using mine like that the last few days as I've moved on to my next phase of testing/confidence with Starlink. What issues have you heard about?"

I am not a network person, so much of the details about the issues using a mesh router with the Starlink router have to do with "Double NAT" or two IP addresses behind the router. Apparently there is some workaround using a switch or some other changes to the second router, but I have not done a deep dive into the details. We have a number of devices that connect to our mesh system and a too large house so coverage issues for us were solved with the mesh router. When we get our Starlink I am hopeful we can continue to use the mesh system but I am not sure what we give up by excluding the SL router if it causes problems.

/ Starlink #980  
I've used a similar setup for quite some time without issues. My main ISP was a AT&T Mobley hotspot (eventually replaced by a Netgear Nighthawk M1 device). That was hooked to my Asus router (via USB for Mobley and then ethernet for Nighthawk) as the WAN source. Added a TP-Link Deco mesh system later by just plugging it into the Asus router LAN port. Never had an issue with NAT stuff. Almost every device in our house connects through the Deco mesh network devices. Phones, desktop computers, laptops, Playstations, Fire TV, smart appliances. All good. Now with Starlink I just replaced the WAN connection on the Deco mesh with the Starlink router. So at present I have Starlink controller--Starlink router-->Deco mesh. I'm sure this isn't supposed to work very well but it does. At some point I'll probably remove the Starlink router.

I guess my point is that you probably shouldn't worry about issues until/unless you actually encounter them. Lots of configs work just fine.

Rob