Starlink

/ Starlink #13  
I can't wait to replace my expensive and not so reliable cellular hot spot.

/ Starlink #14  
This has the potential to finally provide true broadband internet service to rural areas. SpaceX's Satellite Internet Plans for Mid-2020 Launch in the US.

From article: "Expect speeds to reach up to 1 Gbps per user with a latency ranging between 25 to 35 milliseconds, on par with ground-based broadband services."

SpaceX's Satellite Internet Plans for Mid-22 Launch in the US

I still have a bad tasted in my mouth from Hughes satellite internet with their 300MB bucket Fair Access Policy and 1,000ms latency and no internet every thunderstorm/wet snowfall either at my place or in Maryland.

/ Starlink #15  
^^^ I had Starband for a while. Did all my software downloads and updates between midnight and 6AM during the unmetered period. Had to rig up a way to clear snow and ice off the dish.

/ Starlink #16  
I've had HughesNet for eight years now. It's OK. Had Starband prior to that. In the winter I would appreciate a system with some type of indoor antennae. However - when you have only one choice.............

Things have improved on Hughes - - I have 25GB access and around 250 ms latency. Satellite will always have difficulty with weather.

/ Starlink #17  
Current internet satellites are at over 25000km above the earth. Starlink is at 550km. Latency wont be an issue. They are trying to solve the bandwidth problem with numbers. We will see how that all goes in the next few years.

I am not certain on cloud/weather penetration improvements but that will always be some type issue with sky-based solutions.

/ Starlink
I still have a bad tasted in my mouth from Hughes satellite internet with their 300MB bucket Fair Access Policy and 1,000ms latency and no internet every thunderstorm/wet snowfall either at my place or in Maryland.

I've been down the Hughesnet road and give it one star. Comparing them to Starlink is apples to oranges. Starlink will be 40X faster and NO OUTDOOR DISH needed. If Starlink has reasonable pricing and good customer service, Hughesnet will become quickly obsolete.

/ Starlink #19  
I've been down the Hughesnet road and give it one star. Comparing them to Starlink is apples to oranges. Starlink will be 40X faster and NO OUTDOOR DISH needed. If Starlink has reasonable pricing and good customer service, Hughesnet will become quickly obsolete.

Comcast and Centurylink could also be in serious jeopardy.

/ Starlink
Comcast and Centurylink could also be in serious jeopardy.

Yes, Starlink has the potential to be a game-changer for many ISPs. They will be forced to adjust or disappear.