Starlink

/ Starlink #31  
The article mentions that solution but results are unclear.

Thanks for clarifying. I doubt there is any way Astronomers are going to stop these giants from progress. Bezos, Musk, and other corps may be in the running. Light pollution has ruined many aspects of astrophotography around cities. Now even those in rural areas wont be able to escape the mark of “progress.”

For those wondering, most of astrophotography uses long exposures. So any light source that stays in the frame ruins the final image. That’s why you see the lines across the screen. Those are repeated satellite passes over a few minutes time. To this end, even if they black them out there will be a faint black line across the image instead of a white one.

/ Starlink
   / Starlink
Can't wait!

Ditto ... if Starlink is user-friendly, fast, unlimited data, reliable, and the price is reasonable it will be a game-changer for rural folks. An indoor antenna will be icing on the cake. :cake:

/ Starlink #35  
Been keeping my eye on it. Lots of property I have has no connectivity options at all, well at least for the type of work I do.

/ Starlink
Last edited:
   / Starlink #39  
Musk has always impressed me. He has not succeeded in everything yet he has not let failure derail him. The first time I saw Spacex land a rocket booster on a barge floating in the ocean, I knew they had it going on. I don’t doubt that Starlink will be successful in time.

/ Starlink #40  
The plan is for 40,000 Starlink satellites. Since Sputnik, humans have launched 9,000 satellites. 5,000 are still in orbit, 2,000 are still operating. While I appreciate getting internet access to remote places, I have to think there is a better and cheaper way to do it. The satellites are visible with the naked eye and already are interfering with astronomers. Several of the Starlinks have stopped working and are already space junk. I personally don't want to see my beautiful night sky taken over by satellites that will be orbiting junk after a few years. Hope there is a better answer.

I am a fan of Musk, and SpaceX. Love how they land their rockets back on the launchpad. Makes a ton more sense than NASA's way of dropping them in the ocean. But launching 40,000 satellites for internet access may not be worth it in the long run.