Starlink

/ Starlink #1,021  
Than why can’t bigblue1 stream movies. That’s the man reason I want fast internet. Here I’m waiting to hear how soon we can get fiber. I checked into Verizon lte and it’s not available in my area. Strange since we’re not far from the tower.

It's not that I can't stream them. They play fine, with no buffering or disruption. It's just that the video quality seems lower.

Rob

/ Starlink #1,022  
Starlink was delivered to us this weeK in CO. Ill be setting it up soon.

/ Starlink #1,023  
I did find that my speeds were better connected directly to the Starlink router than either with Starlink-->Deco or just Deco system direct. I'd never experienced a speed difference between my Deco and the Netgear Nighthawk LTE modem I used as my primary for years prior.

I did a Deco firmware update and changed some QoS settings and now my speeds are more in line.

Rob

/ Starlink #1,024  
There is zero control of the Starlink router but the good thing is that you don't have to use it. You can just plug the Starlink controller's (i.e. the 'modem') into your own router. I'm trying mine that way today to see how it works.

I did find that my speeds were better connected directly to the Starlink router than either with Starlink-->Deco or just Deco system direct. I'd never experienced a speed difference between my Deco and the Netgear Nighthawk LTE modem I used as my primary for years prior.

Rob
I think it boils down to where the bottleneck is/was in your system. If the LTE link/modem was the slow piece, it wouldn't matter how it was connected. Your experience suggests to me that the Starlink router may be a little underpowered in terms of throughput and latency relative to the actual downlink.

As an example, we have DSL, and had a rash of issues last year (bad electronics and wires on AT&T side compounded by an unstable modem (provided by AT&T). Eventually they got the line issues sorted out, (four months or so) and our service was still terrible compared to what they had provided six months earlier. Eventually a very senior technician offered up an opinion that the provided DSL modem was notoriously unstable, and suggested that we purchase a NetGear D7000v2 modem-router. Well, they aren't manufactured any more, and when they were a fraction (a high fraction?) seem to have been manufactured with some rather large intolerance to heat. So I bought a couple of used ones off of eBay. I ended up adding heat sinks and fans plural to it, and it now runs for days, but while it is running, it has between an eighth and a tenth of the ping times of the default modem (12ms vs 140ms to the first AT&T router that answers a ping). The low latency makes the low speed so much more usable. With that running, I realized how slow all of our range extenders were, and ripped them out for a better network at the end of the day. That's why I was curious what your experience was with the Deco mesh network. Sorry for the long digression.

All the best,

Peter

/ Starlink #1,025  
My Deco setup has been fantastic, overall. Was a game changer for getting high quality wifi throughout my spread out home. I'd never noticed a speed difference between router setups (I have several) before, but yesterday connecting Deco to Starlink exposed something. Now that I made the QoS change and applied new firmware (which also rebooted the system) my speeds through Deco are just as good as with the Starlink router direct. Happy days. I'll have to see if this makes the video streaming quality better too. Not much time for TV these days though since it's finally nice weather and I have a ton of projects going on.

Rob

/ Starlink #1,026  
A better word would be "creepy".

Orwell was wrong, it's not government big brotherism we need to worry about, looks like Space-X is just as bad as Facebook, Apple, Google and the rest of big tech. Who knows what other content you're accessing that they're monitoring.
All the ISPs that I know of will send a letter of warning, then terminate service for illegal content downloading...that's one of the reason VPN s exist.

/ Starlink #1,027  
It's not that I can't stream them. They play fine, with no buffering or disruption. It's just that the video quality seems lower.

Rob

I think I figured out my video streaming issue last night. Looks like it is more a problem with YoutubeTV's algorithm to decide which resolution to use for 'automatic best resolution'. When I manually set it to 1080p then shows look just fine, like they always used to. I also played some Netflix and that plays in 4k just fine. I was playing around and found out how to turn on debug stats in YoutubeTV and in the Fire TV stick itself, which helped identify the issue. Turns out that the network connection and playback buffering is just fine and very healthy.

I now have the Starlink dish permanently mounted on the roof too, as of early last week. I used their mount system that allows it to be flashed under the existing shingles for a hopefully well-sealed setup.

Now, the only remaining quirk of Starlink is just the infrequent (once or twice a day) minor service disruption that is likely due to expected beta downtime.Getting happier with this system by the day and I'm about ready to ditch my old DSL connection, which was formerly my backup ISP.

Rob

/ Starlink #1,028  
Phone hotspot on left vs starlink on right.
IMG_20210508_123845_711.jpg

/ Starlink #1,029  
   / Starlink #1,030  
Apologies if this was already asked-- has anyone tried using windows remote desktop, GoToMyPC, or any of those sorts of programs with Starlink?

I ask because most of those remote access products won't work on HughesNet satellite due to their double layer NAT arrangement. Because of this, I had to change to TeamViewer ($$) for remote access.

Before changing, I tried numerous DynDns products with HughesNet. Either they didn't work at all, or I could not successfully connect to the remote location even if I knew the IP of the remote location. All because of the double layer NAT used by Hughes.

TeamViewer ($$) differs because it always maintains a connection from each end to the middle layer (which I believe is their own servers.) So you don't need to "get through" HughesNet's backend-- TeamViewer solves that by always staying connected to itself. But, it isn't free to do that.