Starlink

/ Starlink #1,381  
What part of PA do you live in and when did you get your starlink. I'm in west central PA and waiting. Have not seen many from PA that have gotten starlink.
i do not currently have it. but i put in for it. and was granted access about 3 months ago. I live near Scranton PA.

/ Starlink #1,382  
Off topic, but can't resist ...

I met a guy years ago who discovered that wifi router frequencies had some overlap with HAM radio frequencies. Off-the-shelf routers were limited to (I think) to 600mw, but a licensed HAM on that same frequency could legally broadcast at 50-1500 watts, i.e. 50 to 150 times the power of a stock wifi router.

He installed "Tomato" firmware on a Linksys WRT54G router, which gave him control of xmit power. He upped the power into HAM radio levels, and was getting a realiable wifi signal ... drum roll ... 10 MILES AWAY! Aaahhh. Imagine that ....

But, he quickly fried the chips/circuit board in the Linksys router at that power level. Last I knew, he had built a small radiator that sat on top of the main chip of the router-- and was pumping water through it to dissipate heat-- just like in a vehicle.

I think of him every time I hear mention of wifi performance. :LOL:
Issue here becomes the other end transmission will be too weak to be received by the router so although he sees his SSID, he can't connect to it or if he can at a closer range, it will be sporadic.

/ Starlink #1,384  
North East PA still waiting too.....
I'm a little shocked you can't get it yet, your only about 20 minutes from my location.

I'm sorry maybe i was wrong. i was given a email to make a deposit, i thought that meant it was available. not sure why i would pay before its available,

but i went through it again and i can still make a deposit, but this is the message now...

"Starlink is targeting coverage in your area in mid to late 2021. You will receive a notification once your Starlink is ready to ship."

/ Starlink #1,385  
"Starlink is targeting coverage in your area in mid to late 2021. You will receive a notification once your Starlink is ready to ship."

I think this is fast becoming like the phrase.
The Checks in the Mail

/ Starlink #1,386  
Issue here becomes the other end transmission will be too weak to be received by the router so although he sees his SSID, he can't connect to it or if he can at a closer range, it will be sporadic.
You can get surprising range out of basic legal (unamplified) WiFi. A number of people have gotten over 100 miles with standard laptop adapters on either end.

The key is focus. They basically had old school 6' satellite dishes on either end to focus signal. Radio waves are like light. If you want distance you go for a laser beam. If you want coverage you want a lantern or light bulb. Focus (gain in RF terms) works on send & receive. A directional antenna rejects signals everywhere but where it's pointing, making things quieter so you can better hear the signals you care about.

The more gain you have the more range you have but the more precisely you have to have antennas lined up. Low gain antennas are what most people want for home networks as there is 0 antenna aiming involved.

In a wardriving competition in Colorado Sorings a few years ago we identified & got GPS markers for over 80,000 WIFI networks in under 2 hours. We tagged numerous United & Southwest in- flight WiFi too.

35416815_878294672354391_3146457843792609280_n.jpg
received_875883295928862.jpg

/ Starlink #1,387  
I'm a little shocked you can't get it yet, your only about 20 minutes from my location.

I'm sorry maybe i was wrong. i was given a email to make a deposit, i thought that meant it was available. not sure why i would pay before its available,

but i went through it again and i can still make a deposit, but this is the message now...

I know of people in other towns that have it, but we are still waiting. We get no cell reception at our house and have frontier who sent us a letter saying 2mbs is the absolute best you will get so stop complaining about the speed.....Starlink will be a game changer, and we just patiently wait for it.

When mounting it, are people recommending in line lighting arrestors? drip loops? just want to make sure the install is not messed up by me. lol

/ Starlink #1,388  
I know of people in other towns that have it, but we are still waiting. We get no cell reception at our house and have frontier who sent us a letter saying 2mbs is the absolute best you will get so stop complaining about the speed.....Starlink will be a game changer, and we just patiently wait for it.

When mounting it, are people recommending in line lighting arrestors? drip loops? just want to make sure the install is not messed up by me. lol
I have a AP on my roof, i have an arrestor on it, and i drip loop everything

this is what I have

/ Starlink #1,389  

Definitely yes to both.

I use surge protectors on everything, and "the more the merrier". I would recommend that you get surge protectors that have both gas tubes and TVS diodes on all lines. Clamping four out of eight lines doesn't help you much at all. I would also look for devices that have tested and claim the level of surge suppression. There is a lot of cheap junk out there. A lot.

Amazon.com: Ditek DTK-MRJPOES Power Over Ethernet Surge Protection for IP Cameras and NVRs, PoE, PoE + and Hi-PoE Compatible; Ethernet Data Speed without Signal Degradation : Electronics and

Use a heavy gauge ground wire (6ga) and if possible run it to a ground rod. (Short path) If I can, I prefer to use the surge suppressors as the cables come into the building.

If you are using POE double check that the arrest or works with POE as not all of them can handle the current.

I would regard these as disposable items.

All the best,

Peter

/ Starlink #1,390  
Definitely yes to both.

I use surge protectors on everything, and "the more the merrier". I would recommend that you get surge protectors that have both gas tubes and TVS diodes on all lines. Clamping four out of eight lines doesn't help you much at all. I would also look for devices that have tested and claim the level of surge suppression. There is a lot of cheap junk out there. A lot.

Amazon.com: Ditek DTK-MRJPOES Power Over Ethernet Surge Protection for IP Cameras and NVRs, PoE, PoE + and Hi-PoE Compatible; Ethernet Data Speed without Signal Degradation : Electronics and

Use a heavy gauge ground wire (6ga) and if possible run it to a ground rod. (Short path) If I can, I prefer to use the surge suppressors as the cables come into the building.

If you are using POE double check that the arrest or works with POE as not all of them can handle the current.

I would regard these as disposable items.

All the best,

Peter
So you add a dedicated ground to the dish itself? I will have to pick up a ground rod, and some wire. thank you I didnt think of that.