Starlink

/ Starlink #1,391  
1632499356144.png

1632499423690.png

/ Starlink #1,392  
why do you have obstruction? tree/house blocking? or not enough satellites?

/ Starlink #1,393  
Those images seem like you're in a browser on a desktop. How do you get to the obstruction map in a web page? I have 'Obstructions' section under 'Support' but it is just a text page that say "Not obstructed". Wonder if the map would show up only if there are some obstructions?

Rob

/ Starlink #1,396  
are you really dropping internet every 20 minutes?
Not as far as i can tell. I'm not doing any network apps or protocols that are sensitive to disconnects though. Mostly streaming, web pages. Actually i'm kind of tickled it's around 20 minutes. When i used the phone app, best i could get was 4 minutes, but i'd heard other people say they were just fine with similar results from the phone app. I'm not keen on dropping any of the trees the app's complaining about, too close and too tall for someone with my meager skills with a chainsaw. I'm sure my home insurance would be unhappy if i tried. If they were further away, i'd not have a problem sawing them down, but then i probably wouldn't need to remove them anyway, and i still have a large amount of wood to process into firewood.

I should add, i did get a short period, 2 second, lag when posting this before editing with this last comment. But compared to what what i'm used to with my other Internet provider, it seems instantaneous. My prior speeds would go from less than 1Mb to 2Mb at times. 2Mb was pretty rare though.

Last edited:
   / Starlink #1,397  
Not as far as i can tell. I'm not doing any network apps or protocols that are sensitive to disconnects though. Mostly streaming, web pages. Actually i'm kind of tickled it's around 20 minutes. When i used the phone app, best i could get was 4 minutes, but i'd heard other people say they were just fine with similar results from the phone app. I'm not keen on dropping any of the trees the app's complaining about, too close and too tall for someone with my meager skills with a chainsaw. I'm sure my home insurance would be unhappy if i tried. If they were further away, i'd not have a problem sawing them down, but then i probably wouldn't need to remove them anyway, and i still have a large amount of wood to process into firewood.

I should add, i did get a short period, 2 second, lag when posting this before editing with this last comment. But compared to what what i'm used to with my other Internet provider, it seems instantaneous. My prior speeds would go from less than 1Mb to 2Mb at times. 2Mb was pretty rare though.
what speeds are you typically seeing? and yes without the apps, most people would never notice. you could do a basic pingplotter software if you cared enough, or setup something like PRTG if you really care... etc.

/ Starlink #1,400  
It varies, not surprisingly, but seems to average between just over 100Mb to 200Mb download speed, at around 20-30ms. I might think about doing something with PRTG or something similar on docker running on a vm, but have some other things taking up my time right now.