Starlink

/ Starlink #2,401  
After reboot, my Starlink router is at 192.168.1.x. Starlink wifi gave my phone an address of 192.168.1.109.

I tried going to 192.168.1.1 in my browser, but that only serves up the starlink.com home page. Not sure how to get to the router itself (except thru phone app.)

I remembered while at my CA property, I got a message saying Netgear had self-changed its IP to prevent a conflict. (It didn't say what it changed to.) I had dismissed that as preventing a conflict with HughesNet, but maybe it was conflicting with Starlink which would explain a lot.

Most likely guess is I reversed my description, and Netgear is serving 10.0.0.x. I will do more checking.

/ Starlink #2,402  
After reboot, my Starlink router is at 192.168.1.x. Starlink wifi gave my phone an address of 192.168.1.109.

I tried going to 192.168.1.1 in my browser, but that only serves up the starlink.com home page. Not sure how to get to the router itself (except thru phone app.)

I remembered while at my CA property, I got a message saying Netgear had self-changed its IP to prevent a conflict. (It didn't say what it changed to.) I had dismissed that as preventing a conflict with HughesNet, but maybe it was conflicting with Starlink which would explain a lot.

Most likely guess is I reversed my description, and Netgear is serving 10.0.0.x. I will do more checking.
try 192.168.100.1

and both the netgear and the starlink can't use the 192.168.1.x subnet, one must be changed. the netgear is prolly the easiest.

/ Starlink #2,403  
I just visited "specifications and configuration" on my phone app, then chose "Can I add a 3rd party router or mesh system?"

Here is what I read:

"Bypass mode will completely disable the Starlink Wifi router functionality."

"Please be aware that the Starlink router does not have a router bypass mode. If you use your own router or mesh system, we recommend physically removing the included Starlink router and using the 3rd party equipment exclusively with the power supply."

Q- I don't understand how I would physically remove the Starlink router, since that is how the dishy gets its power?

(btw I tried 192.168.100.1 and that did take me to the Starlink router.)

/ Starlink #2,405  
I'm using an older Netgear router attached to the dongle from Starlink.
I've had no warning messages, the Starlink WFI is active as well as the Netgear R6220 WFI.
I have connected to each of them at different times with different devices.
Speed test when going through the Starlink are higher then through the Netgear.
Actual performance I don't see any difference most of the time.
The Netgear seems to max out around 80 MPS while the Starlink can be 200 but is usually around 100-120 MBS.

It way be the WiFi on your older router is not capable of the higher speed that modern routers are. If the Netgear router has an ethernet port, try a wired connection through that and see what the speed tests out as.

/ Starlink #2,406  
Yes, the Netgear router is not capable of the higher speeds and neither is the equipment that is connecting to it.
My Android phone is the fastest device in my system.

/ Starlink #2,407  
I just visited "specifications and configuration" on my phone app, then chose "Can I add a 3rd party router or mesh system?"

Here is what I read:

"Bypass mode will completely disable the Starlink Wifi router functionality."

"Please be aware that the Starlink router does not have a router bypass mode. If you use your own router or mesh system, we recommend physically removing the included Starlink router and using the 3rd party equipment exclusively with the power supply."

Q- I don't understand how I would physically remove the Starlink router, since that is how the dishy gets its power?

(btw I tried 192.168.100.1 and that did take me to the Starlink router.)
As mentioned above, these are comments related to two different generation of Starlink systems. The round dish has a separate controller/POE device and a wifi router. You can remove the router and plug your own router/mesh into the controller, thereby entirely eliminating the Starlink router. The rectangular dish has a unified controller/router. That one has the bypass feature so you can disable the router and use your own, but physically you cannot 'remove' it.

/ Starlink #2,408  

Thanks for this post. I was wondering how to access the starlink router from a pc on my home network and not just the phone app. I must have missed this in all my excitement of getting a unit and getting it up and running. (y)

I run my starlink (rectangler 2nd gen.) in bypass mode. My home network is 2 ASUS RT-AC68 in a mesh setup. Starlink just connects to the WAN port (internet port) using the ethernet dongle/adapter. My home network runs a totally different IP than the 192 network and I've not had any troubles.

/ Starlink #2,409  
StarLink portability is aimed at people who have boats or RVs and who would need Internet access away from home. This is a REALLY big deal for boats.

Starlink seems to be limited to 12 miles offshore at the present time, which I think is mainly due to the need to have satellite to satellite communication. Having said that, I noticed there were dead zones in the Chesapeake in VA, one of the sounds in NC, and in one of the Great Lakes where one would expect coverage.

In some places, cell service is good enough if one is near shore, we have had cell service six or so miles off shore, and I have heard of people getting a signal farther offshore. But even along the coast, one can be without cell service and cell Internet can be expensive. Offshore Internet is exceedingly expensive, and can cost tens of thousands of dollars for the equipment and the data plans can be hundreds of dollars a month and still be data limited. I have seen plans that were $1 a megabyte. :eek:

Starlink is working on boats at the present time but not warrantied, however, this is one of the areas that Starlink wants to support so it will happen in time. Starlink is going to wipe out some of the off grid Internet providers. Paying $130 a month for unlimited bandwidth at the Starlink speeds is dirt cheap compared to the competitors.

Land based, we were paying $120 per month of an unlimited cell plan. And our DSL at 1.5 mbps was $50-75 a month. Our new cell plan, we need backup Internet access, is $20ish a month but data limited AND not working. 🤬

/ Starlink #2,410  
StarLink portability is aimed at people who have boats or RVs and who would need Internet access away from home. This is a REALLY big deal for boats.
Are you sure about that? Have you seen an announcement to that effect? My understanding is that 'portability' is for users to take their dish to a location other than their designated service address and use it there in a static fashion. The in-motion capability for use on a moving vehicle (i.e. moving camper or boat) is not yet live. It's in the works, for sure, but I don't think the $25/mo 'portability' is intended for in-motion use.