Starlink

/ Starlink #2,711  
FWIW, my Gen 2 system will reboot whenever it encounters a significant obstruction which lasts for more than a couple of minutes. Any interruption in the cable between the router and dish will also cause a reboot. You might try checking your connectors.

This has been my experience anyway in the 5 months I've had my system operational.
Thank you for the help. That makes more sense as we did get some rain yesterday. I bet it was obstructed from the clouds.

/ Starlink #2,712  
I have only seen mine reboot itself around 4 am maybe once or twice a week. I'm guessing when it is an idle time. This was when I had lots of obstructions. I don't think I have seen it do it now that I moved the dish and have about 1/10 the obstructions, so maybe the obstructions were part of it.

/ Starlink #2,713  
Question for the more experienced than me. How often does your dish reboot itself?

Mine did it yesterday afternoon then again early this morning. I have only noticed it doing it one other time. I wonder what conditions cause it to reboot without being prompted.
Mine seems to reboot when the software gets upgraded and that is about it. I will have to watch it during our rainy season to see if I can find any impact from rain here.

All the best,

Peter

/ Starlink #2,714  
Probably my problem is I look at the status too often. Lol I have never experienced a time when I could not load a page or stream a video.

/ Starlink #2,715  
I’ve not seen any self reboots, assume maybe when it updates? I’ve only done 1 reboot as a result of a manual update and I thought I was seeing slower speed. Did see better speed after reboot.

Last edited:
   / Starlink #2,716  
Well I spoke to soon. Although, I did have a notification for a software update the past couple of days for the first time, so I'm assuming this was the reason for the reboot, but it still did it around the same time as usual.

Screenshot_20220724-083756_Starlink.jpg

/ Starlink #2,717  
I recall mine rebooting a couple of times when the power to the house flickered. It caused a factory reset once. So I purchased a $60 600VA UPS to combat the issue. We have a lot of frequent and strong thunderstorms in the SE during the summers.

/ Starlink #2,718  
I’m talking about the cable that goes to dishy needs to go through the wall. Right now it goes under my garage door. Once it goes thru the wall the starlink router will be where my current internet enters, so it will be cabled.
Ah, that cable. Running the cable to dishy was a PITA even though we have a small wiring closest that has a chase to the attic. It was sorta easy getting the cable from the closet and across the attic. The PITA part was getting the cable through the roof vent to the dish. Running that cable is a pain and mine was a pretty easy installation. Still have to do the permanent dish installation now the the mount arrived but I am not doing that until it cools off.

Later,
Dan

/ Starlink #2,719  
I recall mine rebooting a couple of times when the power to the house flickered. It caused a factory reset once. So I purchased a $60 600VA UPS to combat the issue. We have a lot of frequent and strong thunderstorms in the SE during the summers.
We have only noticed one reboot caused by Starlink and that was a software update. I rebooted it once or twice because I thought I needed too but I can't remember WHY I thought I needed to reboot the thing. :eek::D I suspect it was because of heavy rain. Heavy rain will take out the signal and for a month or two a couple of months back, we were getting very heavy rain once or twice a week. Now, radar shows us about to get hit with rain, and its like the parting of the Red Sea, and we get little to no rain while other areas are flooding. o_O:D Go figure.

We too put the StarLink router on a UPS. We have several of them we use to protect the network devices. Hmmm, the StarLink Mesh router has been ordered, guess I need another UPS....

Later,
Dan

/ Starlink #2,720  
The tricks my mind plays… I read putting SL on a UPS and for a number of seconds I ponder what a great idea. Then I jolt back to reality and remember that basically I’m on a whole house UPS. We are totally offgrid with solar power with generator backup. Must be getting older