Starlink

/ Starlink #3,381  
There's a special place in Hades for special people like you, KJC.😂👺📡
Hey - I put up with Redneck DSL for the last 9 years, is it so wrong if I get giddy when I look at speeds faster than when I had FiOS back in PDSRNJ?

Oh dang it. . . I am only 30x faster down/200x up from DSL this morning (clutches pearls and heads for fainting couch. . .) - whatever shall I do?

9A3AAB2E-52F0-45B6-AE1C-321137F36741.jpeg

Last edited:
   / Starlink #3,382  
This is from my neighbor across the road concerning Starlink:

I was on the wait list for a long time for Starlink. I finally got it and installed it, we were very excited. All of a sudden my Chase online banking account got hacked into not once but twice. I removed the Starlink and went to Wells Fargo and never had issues again. I don’t know if the issues were related 100% it’s the only thing we changed.

The starlink system is now sitting in my garage. I can’t get my 700.00 back either because their website customer service isn’t responsive. That’s just my experience with it. And I didn’t get great reception because there are too many tall trees on my property. I couldn’t get the satellite high enough.

Looks like I won't be trying Starlink.

/ Starlink #3,383  
This is from my neighbor across the road concerning Starlink:

Looks like I won't be trying Starlink.
o_O :confused::rolleyes: Not convinced Starlink is responsible for that guys banking problems. Actually sounds like an opportunity to buy a SL set up cheap. And yes the equipment is non refundable but it is transferable. I suggest you jump on that before somebody else does.
Always be careful banking online no matter how you get online.

Last edited:
   / Starlink #3,385  
o_O :confused::rolleyes: Not convinced Starlink is responsible for that guys banking problems. Actually sounds like an opportunity to buy a SL set cheap. And yes the equipment is non refundable but it is transferable. Always be careful banking online no matter how you get online.
I would offer the neighbor cash for the Starlink setup but I have just as many trees as the neighbors. I have more of an open area in front of the house but I'm not willing to bet $500+ on it.
starlink_home.jpg

/ Starlink #3,386  
I have more of an open area in front of the house but I'm not willing to bet $500+ on it.
I posted a while ago about one neighbor who is in a very bad position for SL. Just a small hole in the forest. I loaned him my SL to try, it worked ..... not perfect ... but acceptably well. He has been on SL now for about 6 months and likes it.

I took SL to another neighbor with a ridiculously bad location. Tiny sliver of sky surrounded by 100ft trees. It worked. Speed was not terrific, but ... it worked. It surprised me.

Maybe your neighbor could loan you his for a try?

/ Starlink #3,387  
It's got to be better than what I have which is 8 MB/sec download through windstream. And I'm paying $92/mo for that.

/ Starlink #3,388  
It's got to be better than what I have which is 8 MB/sec download through windstream. And I'm paying $92/mo for that.
From the aerial photos, it looks to me like you have a reasonable shot at it. I would start by downloading the app onto your phone, and then try using the "check for obstructions" feature" at a couple of potential antenna sites (do a careful 360 to fill the view in) to get a feel for how obstructed things might be. My $0.02 is to get the phone as close as possible to the exact height and location that you want the antenna to be at. My best spot wasn't where I expected it to be.

All the best,

Peter

/ Starlink #3,389  
We have SL and live in the forest. Trees are tall. Even to the point that our solar generation is minimal a month before and alter the solstice (we are off grid).

I have zero problems with SL speed and reception/xmission. And as for security of the SL system I believe it is better than other systems I've used and tested.

/ Starlink #3,390  
Russia has been trying to hack Starlink in Ukraine for a while now, so far unsuccessful. Actually that is not correct, Russia hacked it one time and the next Starlink software upload shut it down and they haven't been able to hack it since. Reportedly the DOD contacted Starlink to see how they detected the hack and fixed it as fast as they did.