Starting BX24 in boathouse (avoid fumes)

/ Starting BX24 in boathouse (avoid fumes) #1  

mswlogo

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota B2320 DT (Gear)
I've converted my boathouse into a shed (filled in part of the floor where boat would go). It's a pretty good size about size of a roomy one car garage.

Any way, barn swallows nest in there in the late spring. We've been living in harmony for many years and don't want to harm them or scare them away even though they will surely get some poop on the new tractor.

I'd like to avoid pumping fumes into the boathouse when it starts up. I'm not as concerned about the noise (they have been pretty tough with noises).

But fumes might linger a bit.

I'm sure shops that work on these in winter have something to pump fumes out doors.

Can anyone recommend what to use?

Can the tractor be pushed very easily on solid ground (just a few feet)?

/ Starting BX24 in boathouse (avoid fumes) #2  
I often push my B3030 out of my garage before I start it, or if I want to clean up a little and I don't want to start it just to move it I will push it out and then back in. Provided you are on a relatively flat, paved or hard packed surface, I find that it pushes really very easily. You must be thoughtful though before you park it and remember not to put the loader down. My OCD is so bad that if I am only moving the truck out of the garage to wash it I will push it out, wash it and push it back in so I don't have to start it just to move it a few feet.

/ Starting BX24 in boathouse (avoid fumes) #3  
Does the exhaust pipe come out at the front under the grill? If it does I would think that you could just back it in and just park it near the front of the shed. Then the engine would only be running for a few seconds whilst in the shed.

/ Starting BX24 in boathouse (avoid fumes) #4  
No one enjoys birds and especially Swallows more than me, but I sure wouldn't let that poop get on the tractor. Talk about caustic! You might as well throw battery acid on it. Too bad you can't find a way to shield it without putting a cover on it. Sounds like some of the fellas are dealing with mice etc. with covers.

BD

/ Starting BX24 in boathouse (avoid fumes) #5  
I doesn't seem to bother our swallows much. If you don't hang out in there and leave the door open. But then again they wouldn't be in there if it werent well ventilated (How would they get in?). Their waste can be devastating to any finish that it is allowed to sit on. I would at least tarp the tractor if they are nesting anywere near above the tractor.
My favorite thing is to watch the barn swallows fighter jet around the yard after I mow. I have even thought about trying to build a dedicated shelter for them to build under.

/ Starting BX24 in boathouse (avoid fumes) #6  

I use this stuff to run the tractor in my garage. It's stiff enough to be pushed ahead of the tractor as I move it out to the driveway yet flexible too. And, you can stand on it and it won't collapse.

Attachments

• MetalHose.pdf
    57.5 KB · Views: 676
   / Starting BX24 in boathouse (avoid fumes) #7  
Danno1 said:

I use this stuff to run the tractor in my garage. It's stiff enough to be pushed ahead of the tractor as I move it out to the driveway yet flexible too. And, you can stand on it and it won't collapse.

How do you secure it to the exhaust pipe?

/ Starting BX24 in boathouse (avoid fumes)
Thanks guys, sounds like it's easy to push. I'll try that first. I thought it was bad to keep hydraulics loaded (FEL up) when not in use. I was thinking of resting FEL on a floor jack so I can pull the floor jack out then push it out. I was gonna try backing it in, so I won't have to push it very far.

Oh shoot how do I get it in? Small ramp up (4 inches height) into boat house.

Exhaust is in the front top side. Doesn't seem like the best spot for the driver.

I was gonna toss a loose cover over it to avoid bird poop.

There is mice in there but a bigger problem in the winter so I can leave it uncovered in winter.

The water side of the boathouse will be wide open in the summer for the birds to swoop in and out. It's not well vented up in the roof rafters where they nest. I was worried fumes would be trapped up there for a while.

/ Starting BX24 in boathouse (avoid fumes) #9  
mswlogo said:
Oh shoot how do I get it in? Small ramp up (4 inches height) into boat house.
4 inches should be no problem to just drive up if you take it steady.

/ Starting BX24 in boathouse (avoid fumes)
Grrrr said:
4 inches should be no problem to just drive up if you take it steady.

Not with the engine off !!

I'd want to shut it off and push her in.

Maybe I'll have to extend the ramp a bit so that it's level just outside the door for 4 feet or so.