Studs for snow plowing

/ Studs for snow plowing
Those studs require a special tool for installation and it's said they don't fall out.

/ Studs for snow plowing #12  
Mine screw in with a $8 little driver that you put in a drill.

/ Studs for snow plowing #15  
I just ordered a set small studs to try on my front R4 tires. I will post something when I get to try them out.

/ Studs for snow plowing #16  
I've been through several blizzards so far with the 4 wd machine and no need for extra traction. Loaded rear R4s and 8 ply R4 fronts.
The new chains I bought for the tractor have been in the box for years now.

Attachments

• t1030.JPG
    t1030.JPG
    274.7 KB · Views: 87
Last edited:
   / Studs for snow plowing #17  
I can get by plowing light snowfalls with just the R4's but for ice and the heavy stuff on the slopes I maintain, I need the chains.

/ Studs for snow plowing #18  
Don't the europeon chains go for over 1500?
I have 13.6 x 24 ag. tires.
Check out the OFA chains at windy ridge- I have had great luck with them and way cheaper than most other euros

/ Studs for snow plowing
Check out the OFA chains at windy ridge- I have had great luck with them and way cheaper than most other euros
I've had problems with windy-ridge before. Very disorganized!

/ Studs for snow plowing #20  
I use a hydraulic snowblower on the front of my tractor. 1/4 mile (plus) crushed stone driveway in lake effect snow country.

Previous open-station tractor with R4 tires did not work for me. Adding chains to front helped. (Clearance for chains in rear questionable.) At my age, install/uninstall rear chains was not a great option.

The new tractor came with R4 until different tires arrived. Fresh R4 tires were a bit better...and the weight of a cab likely helped...but the setup was very marginal. Nokian tires finally arrived early spring. Tried them this winter and I LOVE them. Expensive, but there are other "mud and snow" tires to choose from.