Stupid Things I Have Done

/ Stupid Things I Have Done #152  
Good friend of mine (RIP) told me a story about the first engine overhaul he did. He said after all his work, he was getting ready to start the engine for a test run, when his Dad walked up, and said "What are you going to do with these?"...He opened his hand and showed him the new rod bearings, which he had neglected to install.

/ Stupid Things I Have Done #153  
Good friend of mine (RIP) told me a story about the first engine overhaul he did. He said after all his work, he was getting ready to start the engine for a test run, when his Dad walked up, and said "What are you going to do with these?"...He opened his hand and showed him the new rod bearings, which he had neglected to install.
I had a Dakota which spent about 1/4 of it's time in the shop for the year that I owned it. If I was leaving town I would call the garage to see what their schedule was, in case I needed a tow. They had changed front spyder gears, u-joints a few times, water pump, transmission twice (The first new-from-Dodge was defective) and a few other things which I don't recall. So when it wouldn't start I wasn't surprised to find the timing chain had failed. Rather than taking it apart to see what it needed they ordered the parts, then discovered the head was bad. Then they discovered something else... by the time they were done I should have bought a used engine.
They finally got it back together just as I called for a tow because the CV shaft had failed in my Celebrity. But it still wasn't right, and needed a new engine.

I got into it and before leaving the parking lot I knew what was wrong. Upon arriving home I took my "Hastings" manual and put the plug wires in the proper sequence.

/ Stupid Things I Have Done #156  
Running a 16K 28' GN trailer from WI to TN 6 times while moving I noticed a yellow 2" winch strap beside the road on the 3rd trip. I was going to stop and pick it up because I was missing my winch strap on the 3nd trip and figured it had to be mine. I cruised past it at least 4 times noticing it but loaded down with a full trailer going 70 MPH by the time I saw it I couldn't stop for a mile so retrieving it would be a long walk anyway. Still bugs me though as I planned on stopping.

/ Stupid Things I Have Done #158  
Nice picture.

You are a brave man my friend. My wife would not only be PO’d but —- it’d cost a beauty parlor trip and a new outfit or two or three!!!

MoKelly
Well, my honey at 5'10" is sweet but if I had tried that ketchup trick 49 years ago I would have looked like uncle Fester, 2 black eyes and "walking funny".
Sweet but don't put up with junk!

/ Stupid Things I Have Done #159  
My daughter has a 2013 Elantra that the left headlight went out. She wanted help changing and you just have to twist the bulb and cable and the bulb comes out of the back of the case. Of course this was winter time and she reminds me of it at 10:00 PM so everything is cold and dark. The problem is that on the left side the air intake and filter is right behind the light and my fat hands could not get in there. I finally gave up and said she would have to bring it back in the daylight. Well a few days later she stopped by my nephew's and he pulled the book out and all I had to do was pull one pin out and the headlight rotates out in front of the car 90+ degrees making access superb. Now they both laugh at me.
I think you should get a pass on that. It was cold, it was dark and automakers seem to delight in making what should be simple tasks difficult, or at the very least non-intuitive.

/ Stupid Things I Have Done #160  
I sold my camper yesterday and while cleaning up and weed whacking i made a slight adjustment to my dsl cable.

i was going to call for permanent install today anyway but the lead time on that will be many days or a couple weeks so, with my extensive training in mil spec electronic assembly, years of experience in the electronic/communications business and a little common sence i made the repair.

My job took me close to the telephony business so i know about twisted pairs and T1s and the like.

i just don't understand why my internet keeps dropping out

IMG_1861.mov
F7E99B0F-E6B0-46B5-B0C2-1C8B2DA33DB7.jpeg
DCA5E70B-A480-4E3D-81C3-C80D039B497C.jpeg