Stupid Things I Have Done

/ Stupid Things I Have Done #31  
Years ago before pneumatic nailers were common and everything was done by hammer. I walked onto one of my jobs and a carpenter was nailing siding. He would pull a nail out of his pouch, look at it and then throw about half of them away. I asked him if there was something wrong with the nails and he said “Yeah, the heads are on the wrong end. Those are for the other side of the house” 🤯

/ Stupid Things I Have Done #32  
Um that sounds "bass ackwards" to me. :)
After thinking about it, I realize that it makes a sense to put the tractor in neutral to avoid the tendency to jack knife.
It does remind me of a story heard many years ago about a guy roading a John Deeere D.
Disengaged the clutch to let it free wheel down a long hill. Meanwhile noticed a highway Patrolman approaching so quickly decided to re-engage the clutch and, well, that two cylinder engine was not designed to turn 5000K RPM.

/ Stupid Things I Have Done #33  
Once forgot to lock quick attach levers. Yet I remembered to hook up the hydraulic lines for my grapple. Two new hydro lines and a few 4 letter words later i had to laugh 😂.

/ Stupid Things I Have Done #34  
think “now what”! Go get the saw and see I put the chain on backwards!!!! No way to hide that mistake!

MoKelly
I still own a Homelite top-handle chainsaw that I bought at a farm auction. It went really cheap because the auctioneer crew said there was something wrong with it - it just wouldn't cut. I'd already checked it out and saw that the chain was backwards on the bar so I bought it. Works great!

/ Stupid Things I Have Done #35  
My worst "blond moment" was many years ago. I was living in a tiny camp trailer in a little mining town. Trying to save money - be frugal - I rode my Honda SL350 everywhere. One day a young couple moved in next door - and she was a fox, an absolute beauty. One morning I went outside to jump on my Honda to ride to work - and there she was, a few feet away, sitting on her steps having a cup of coffee. I smiled, said Good Morning, fired up my Honda and rode off. About 4 feet later I hit the ground. I had forgotten to unlock the forks of the bike - in that model bike the fork lock and ignition were separate. Don't get very far on a motorcycle when the forks are locked against the left stop!

Just goes to show how a pretty face can paralyze a young man's brain.

/ Stupid Things I Have Done #36  
My worst "blond moment" was many years ago. I was living in a tiny camp trailer in a little mining town. Trying to save money - be frugal - I rode my Honda SL350 everywhere. One day a young couple moved in next door - and she was a fox, an absolute beauty. One morning I went outside to jump on my Honda to ride to work - and there she was, a few feet away, sitting on her steps having a cup of coffee. I smiled, said Good Morning, fired up my Honda and rode off. About 4 feet later I hit the ground. I had forgotten to unlock the forks of the bike - in that model bike the fork lock and ignition were separate. Don't get very far on a motorcycle when the forks are locked against the left stop!

Just goes to show how a pretty face can paralyze a young man's brain.
Oh man that’s funny!
I did something similar. I was walking down a sidewalk along the street when I was in my 20’s trying to look like a handsome linebacker. On the opposite side of the street walking towards me was a really overbuilt long blonde haired stunner.o_O

I walked straight into a parking meter. 😝

The power beautiful women have over men IS truly is amazing. My wife still knocks me out.

/ Stupid Things I Have Done #37  
Years ago before pneumatic nailers were common and everything was done by hammer. I walked onto one of my jobs and a carpenter was nailing siding. He would pull a nail out of his pouch, look at it and then throw about half of them away. I asked him if there was something wrong with the nails and he said “Yeah, the heads are on the wrong end. Those are for the other side of the house” 🤯
i saw that in a 3 stooges episode. i used to love watching the boys do any kind of construction work

/ Stupid Things I Have Done #39  
Dad used to put tractor in neutral when going downhill with a heavy load behind. In order to avoid losing control by being pushed he would use neutral to simply let gravity take control. Scary but it usually worked. 😨
We used a Super MTA to pull dry chopped hay wagons and we had one short hill that was pretty steep. With the twp wagons holding more than 4-5 tons each there was no way that tractor was going to hold them back and since it was a short hill it didn't get going too fast so we pulled the TA back and allowed it to freewheel down to keep the wagons from making a big mess. For corn silage we only pulled one wagon at a time but still pulled the TA because now it was about 7 tons on the wagon.

/ Stupid Things I Have Done #40  
We used a Super MTA to pull dry chopped hay wagons and we had one short hill that was pretty steep. With the twp wagons holding more than 4-5 tons each there was no way that tractor was going to hold them back and since it was a short hill it didn't get going too fast so we pulled the TA back and allowed it to freewheel down to keep the wagons from making a big mess. For corn silage we only pulled one wagon at a time but still pulled the TA because now it was about 7 tons on the wagon.
Dad had a John Deere B that probably weighted less than a ton? He would use the gravity technique hauling wagons of firewood. Obviously it was 2WD and had narrow rear tires so it often started sliding downhill. 😨

iu