Subcompact for hilly 3-acre

/ Subcompact for hilly 3-acre #1  

bbh03

Tractor
N/A
Hi All:

Considering a subcompact for property maintenance and landscaping projects. I have been looking at Kubota, Mahindra, Kioti and currently leaning toward a MF GC1723 configured at a TLB.

My property (residential, New Jersey):
3 acre
quite hilly
rocky soil
mostly wooded

Needs/wants:
Material movement, in particular, logs, split wood, mulch, soil, gravel
Would like a BH for planting shrubs and building retaining walls, grading for shed, etc
Do not need a mid mower (walk behind fine for my small lawn)
Possible snow clearing
Fork attachment would be nice

Some of my questions are:
Will a subcompact with 23-25 hp and 4wd be adequate for the above?
What tires would be best for a hilly, wooded lot? Clearing snow form a steep driveway?
Can a BH be added later for not too much extra?

Thanks,

Brian

/ Subcompact for hilly 3-acre #2  
Welcome to TBN.

Lot threads over the years on this topic.

If you got time on your hands subcompact will do the task but you may want to consider....
Loaded rear tires and tire chains,if yes on chains make sure if wheel spacers are needed.

/ Subcompact for hilly 3-acre #4  
Some of my questions are:
Will a subcompact with 23-25 hp and 4wd be adequate for the above?
What tires would be best for a hilly, wooded lot? Clearing snow form a steep driveway?
Can a BH be added later for not too much extra?

Should be, yes, but there will be a learning curve about when, where and how quickly you can or cannot turn. Do it wrong and you end up rolled over.

Look into the new R14s. I have R4s and they're all but useless on anything but dry grass.

They can be added, but usually cost MUCH more. Also, you really want one matched to the tractor.

/ Subcompact for hilly 3-acre #5  
Welcome. Familiar with NJ hills. Lived there for 20 years just west of Morristown.

For hilly terrain, you need a Kubota B or JD 2 series for clearance. We have a back hill down through woods here in central Va. Had a JD 1025R for a couple years but had a JD 2 series before that for nearly 9. Now have a JD 2025R.

We use a couple walkbehinds here for our little bit of lawn around the house but have another 8 acres in woods and bottom land along the creek. A B or 2 will do the other chores you want done but not a BX nor a 1.

Had turfs on the 4010 first JD 2 series. Lots of troubles with the fronts. Just not tough enough for loader work. Absolutely NO tire trouble with R4s the last 7 years.

R4s are good to/fro in snow, but you need turning brakes. JD seems to have dropped these in their 1 and 2 series.

Ralph

Last edited:
   / Subcompact for hilly 3-acre #6  
" I have R4s and they're all but useless on anything but dry grass."
Seems like everytime tires are mentioned there are posts as to how worthless the R4's are.
I have R4's on my Kioti and they are loaded. They work great on grass, on gravel and dirt and on hills. Also heard they dont work in snow and I have had no issues there either. I add chains if the snow gets deep.
Maybe if I was pulling a plow I would think differently. Guess its like anything.... You learn to use what you have. Also I am in 4WD most all the time because of lots of 15 degree plus hills. I do like the width of them as well for stability.

/ Subcompact for hilly 3-acre #7  
Yes, the tractors you listed will do the jobs described, but just a little bit bigger may provide some added weight, bigger tires, more ground clearance.

For example, going up from the Kioti CS2510 to the CK2510.... a bit bigger, more capable, but not too big.
Another example, the LS MT125 compared to the MT225-S.... a step bigger, but not getting into the "compact" size. There are a few LS dealers in NJ.

Definitely get a BH with the machine as a package when you purchase. Buying one after the initial sale could cost almost double. You will find many uses for a BH, especially if it has a thumb attached.

Good luck with your search!

/ Subcompact for hilly 3-acre #8  
Seems like everytime tires are mentioned there are posts as to how worthless the R4's are.
I have R4's on my Kioti and they are loaded. They work great on grass, on gravel and dirt and on hills. Also heard they dont work in snow and I have had no issues there either. I add chains if the snow gets deep.
Maybe if I was pulling a plow I would think differently. Guess its like anything.... You learn to use what you have. Also I am in 4WD most all the time because of lots of 15 degree plus hills. I do like the width of them as well for stability.
Agree! I haven't had any traction issues using R4's. Even clearing snow off a 2400' long driveway .... 18" worth... just kept on pushing it no problem.

/ Subcompact for hilly 3-acre #9  
I have R4's on my Kioti and they are loaded. They work great on grass, on gravel and dirt and on hills.
On DRY grass, they're fine. On wet grass or mud, they're worthless. I still have the ruts from a few weeks back trying to get uphill with no load at all. They'd just spin, slip and slide, all four. I had to back down hill and try a different route over some better grass. That second attempt failed also. I almost didn't make it the third time either.

/ Subcompact for hilly 3-acre #10  
Another satisfied r4 tire guy here. I got hills, I mow, I plow my driveway, I dig stuff up with the hoe, a tear stuff up with the ratchet rake...my r4 tires handle all that just fine. My tires aren't loaded, and I don't use chains. Sometimes you just gotta use the locking diff along with the 4wd, but that's what it's there for.