Subcompact for hilly 3-acre

/ Subcompact for hilly 3-acre #71  
Speaking from someone with less than 3 hours on his new GC1723, you definitely need to learn what it can and cannot while turning on hills. My lot sounds almost exactly like yours. I gave myself a massive scare in the first hour when I thought it was going to roll down the hill and into the pond. I even started to jump off to the uphill side, and I knew enough to turn into the roll and slight accelerate to bring the weight shift back but wow that got the heart rate up. I have now spent hours looking at how quickly I can get about 300-400 pounds on the tail--and not fast enough is the answer.

Yeah, be careful. I’ve had a couple scares with the loader attached on the steep hills on my property.

Ballast the rear tires and wheel spacers will help!

Mike

/ Subcompact for hilly 3-acre #72  
I am curious if anyone knows, the tires on the GC1723 aren't that big, they are only 26x12-12. How much weight could that add?

/ Subcompact for hilly 3-acre #73  
^^^^
It’s been a while since I’ve looked it up but, if you do a search, you’ll find some tire ballast weight calculators online.

Mike

/ Subcompact for hilly 3-acre #74  
Unfortunately the old Rimguard chart link I had is invalid, but perhaps these two links will help:

You can figure out weight per gallon of various fills, and gallons per tire for various tires sizes.

/ Subcompact for hilly 3-acre
Any reason not go with widest spacers (3")? Not worried about fitting between trees with 6" extra width.

/ Subcompact for hilly 3-acre #76  
Any reason not go with widest spacers (3")? Not worried about fitting between trees with 6" extra width.
So long as they don't exceed the width of 3PH implements that might be trying to prepare the ground, it sounds fine. But if you were tilling or something and the wheels were wider than the implement, that could be awkward.

Thanks - not planning on dragging any 3PH implements at all at this time.

Last edited:
   / Subcompact for hilly 3-acre #78  
As @Bullwinkle123 said. You need to make sure that any 3pt implements are wider than your wheels, like a snowblower.

Also, I know that you said you will not be using the MMM, but if you do it will not fit with 3" spacers. Max for using the MMM is 2".

Is there a clever way to tow a log splitter with a 2" ball about with the BH still attached?

Sorry, what is MMM?