Subcompact for hilly 3-acre

/ Subcompact for hilly 3-acre #31  
^^^^
That's a very nice tractor. You're going to like it. I tested out the CG1725 before deciding on the B2601 (slightly larger tractor).

Just make sure the "size" is right for you and your requirements. It'll definitely be great in the woods, just make sure that it can perform the larger tasks that your property will demand now and in the near future.

I'm one of the guys that had to buy bigger...only 6 months after my purchase...

Mike

/ Subcompact for hilly 3-acre
The dealer has some sort of pit and pile of junk to mess around with so I should be able to get a feel for its lift capability. I'd like the smallest tractor what will meet my needs for storage and secondarily for agility (;)). Hopefully I will also be able to get a sense of the clearance and hill performance will work for me.

/ Subcompact for hilly 3-acre #33  
Agree in size, but I have 6 acres, much of that woods.
I use the BH a lot to do trenches and stumps.
Toothbar on bucket to remove bushes and move around dirt clumps.

Neighbor has a CUT and does not seem to have any advantages so far.

Live on a side of a hill and added spacers.

Toothbar is definitely on my list of accessories. I have rocky soil so will need protection on the loader and it may help digging into piles.

Will have to look into spacers as well, especially if I need chains in the winter.

/ Subcompact for hilly 3-acre #35  
^^^^
Yep, definitely recommend toothbar and spacers. I have both on my B2601.

Mike

/ Subcompact for hilly 3-acre #36  
Would love a grapple in theory but I don't think the cost is justified for my use case. I can move rounds with the loader and larger items with the forks which would be rare since I usually cut logs where they lie. Definitely getting forks.

Had a chat with the local MF dealer and am pleased with their level of helpfulness so far. Will be trying out a CG1723EB tomorrow or Saturday to try to get a feel if it will be adequate for my property/tasks. If it seems too borderline will look up line.
Yup, I totally hear ya. Hopefully you're talking about ssqi forks, not the pin-on ones. Get shorter forks, like 42" or less. And btw, there's this add a grapple thing that you could add later to forks, it's awesome, and cheaper than a dedicated grapple.

/ Subcompact for hilly 3-acre #37  
Hi All:

Considering a subcompact for property maintenance and landscaping projects. I have been looking at Kubota, Mahindra, Kioti and currently leaning toward a MF GC1723 configured at a TLB.

My property (residential, New Jersey):
3 acre
quite hilly
rocky soil
mostly wooded

Needs/wants:
Material movement, in particular, logs, split wood, mulch, soil, gravel
Would like a BH for planting shrubs and building retaining walls, grading for shed, etc
Do not need a mid mower (walk behind fine for my small lawn)
Possible snow clearing
Fork attachment would be nice

Some of my questions are:
Will a subcompact with 23-25 hp and 4wd be adequate for the above?
What tires would be best for a hilly, wooded lot? Clearing snow form a steep driveway?
Can a BH be added later for not too much extra?

Thanks,

Brian
Try renting a SCUT with BH for a long weekend and see if it suits your needs. SCUTs have limited loader capacity and I don't know your expectations regarding what you need to lift with the forks.

25-30HP should be adequate for your sized lot but if you follow the posts here and on other forums guys quickly start looking for ways to boost lift capacity because their expectations don't jive with reality.

I definitely want QA forks to maximize the load they can carry and keep the weight closer to that machine. One thing I'd like to be able to do is move pallets of dried splits. I will probably have to limit pallets to 1/3 cord dried. The dealer quoted 595 for the forks but I need to see what type they actually are.

/ Subcompact for hilly 3-acre #39  
Try renting a SCUT with BH for a long weekend and see if it suits your needs. SCUTs have limited loader capacity and I don't know your expectations regarding what you need to lift with the forks.

25-30HP should be adequate for your sized lot but if you follow the posts here and on other forums guys quickly start looking for ways to boost lift capacity because their expectations don't jive with reality.

Yup. FEL lift capacity can become a big deal if you let it, but for me it just means more trips for e.g. moving dirt. For snow, I put my Bucket Expander (from bxpanded.com) for the winter, which DOUBLES the heaped capacity of the FEL. (No problem with weight, since snow is light.). And then in the summer, I put on the FEL toothbar (also from bxpanded.com), which is priceless for digging (especially for digging into a pile of dirt with rocks in it).

My Kubota BX25 came with a backhoe, and I keep it on all summer and only take it off in winter to replace it with my rear-mount blower. If you do get a BH, pay attention to digging depth (6’ on mine). I did have to hire someone with a full-sized construction BH to dig a 100’ trench in rocky soil for my water line one time (since the soil had big rocks in it), but that was cheap ($250).

And I, too, am happy with my R4 tires, as they are really tough, and traction is good enough for me.

One thing I am going to disagree with is equating lot size with tractor size. I bought my BX25 for our cottage on a 3/4 acre lot, and it has been great for getting around in tight spaces. But then we bought a 25 acre property 500 yards away, and the BX25 still does the job for me. So to me it’s not how big the property is but what you’re going to do with it. My properties are generally pretty level, and I do have to do road work with a box blade on the back, but no heavy bush work or tearing things out. Moving dirt, yes. Digging with the backhoe, yes. Holding trees with the backhoe thumb for chain sawing into lengths for firewood, yes. Carrying big rounds to the splitter with the FEL loader, yes. Pulling stuff out of the lake, yes. And it does all of these fine, and if I have a big pile of dirt to move I do have to make more trips. But other than that the BX25 is fine. And I would not upgrade, because the expense to me is simply not worth it.

On a final note, if you are going to dig out stumps with the BH, that is a tough, time-consuming job, so get a ripper tooth with a QA that you can swap out the BH bucket for. They can be bought from bxpanded.com, which has teeth, or from bro-tech.com, which is smooth and knife-like.

Last edited:
   / Subcompact for hilly 3-acre #40  
I have a 2010 GC2610 TLB and have dug out stumps from trees over 100' high and about 30" in diameter. The biggest two required me to use my 3/4 ton pick-up to drag them from the hole and took a whole day to do it, but I'm retired and the time isn't important. It wasn't quick, but it also dug out for the foundation of the shop I'm building, over 1000 yards of gravel moved mostly to the neighbour's property. I also moved the logs into a pile. While I couldn't lift them, with patience, I was able to drag them by lifting one end and putting rollers under. Ten years later, I'm now thankful that everyone wanted stupid prices for their worn out construction machines and my little tractor is small enough to still be useful.