Summit Monoblock Directional Control Valve

/ Summit Monoblock Directional Control Valve
The flow goes through all the valves in series. Pump -> loader -> 3pt. On each valve the flow goes out the tank port or PB port if the valve has PB, and on to the next valve. Unless the valve is actuated, then flow goes out the work ports. When you operate the 3pt, the pressure to run that comes from the pump, through the loader valve.

Now add an additional valve: Pump -> loader -> new valve -> 3pt. The pressure to lift the 3pt goes through the new valve. If you plumb it without using PB the tank port will see that pressure, which maxes out at about 2500 psi.

There are valves with tank ports that can handle full pressure. The dealer installed additional remote on my 3725 is one. But they are not that common.

BTW the last time I heard the factory remote kit was a lot less than other manufacturer's remote kits. With all the stuff you'll need to buy to DIY, easily another $150, plus fabbing brackets, it might make sense to price the factory kit. It does integrate nicely in the cabin.
I'm slowly getting the picture, I think, there is still confusion as to which tank port sees what pressure. From what you're saying, the new valve's tank port would be subjected to the full pressure and it's not rated for that. The one that must be rated for the high pressure would then be the one on the backhoe. It's here that I think is confusing me, the backhoe has only one port or outlet used since there's only two lines to/from it. In your case, you don't have a backhoe, but you have the added valves and it's their tank port that can handle the pressure?

What I would need to do then is to find a way to connect the tank port to the tank? I just did a request for the kit, might be a viable option

/ Summit Monoblock Directional Control Valve #22  
BTW the last time I heard the factory remote kit was a lot less than other manufacturer's remote kits. With all the stuff you'll need to buy to DIY, easily another $150, plus fabbing brackets, it might make sense to price the factory kit. It does integrate nicely in the cabin.

I completely agree! I don’t recall how much it was to have the dealer add 2 rear remotes when I bought my new 2016 Branson with BH but I didn’t hesitate with that option. It was a factory fit with two levers on the right. Y’all know how space is a premium.

I didn’t like the excess hoses for the BH so I redid the plumbing on the tractor to eliminate the hose and installed a bypass valve, which still mimic the original design.

IMG_4641.jpg

IMG_4643.jpg

Hope the OP will see the benefit of getting the factory remote. It just makes sense to do so.

Fluid flow is not blocked most of the time. It is redirected to perform some type of work. This is why they call the valve a directional control valve. Fluid is always flowing somewhere as long as the pump is pumping.

I guess I do not understand what your main thing you don't understand is.
It's the powerbeyond and tank operation and how the backhoe lines are different somehow I think?. Say you only have one valve, the FEL we'll say, if you refer to the updated diagram, it shows a tank return and a powerbeyond, but since this is only one valve, it won't be connected. So, when you're not operating the FEL, there won't be flow, right? Or, is it the case that the PB will always be connected to something? The diagram seems very incomplete, the FEL valve is the only one showing a tank connection. If fluid has to flow, then the 3pt valve must have it's PB connected since if you're not FEL'ing or 3pt hitching, or backhoeing, that's the only way for it to go. But connected to what?

As to the backhoe, it has either no tank line or no PB line, there is only one hose in and one out. Was that just cost reduction and the fact that the 3pt can't be used when the backhoe is on? The necessity for flow would seem to mean its PB is connected to the out line for the case that the backhoe is on but you're not using it, but that really begs the question of what happens with the fluid used when you're operating it?

I appreciate your input and patience.

Forgot the drawing
trx-cap --  - 12_10_2021 , 14_09_26 - Branson 20 series service manual_ - PDF-XChange Editor.png

Last edited:
I completely agree! I don’t recall how much it was to have the dealer add 2 rear remotes when I bought my new 2016 Branson with BH but I didn’t hesitate with that option. It was a factory fit with two levers on the right. Y’all know how space is a premium.

I didn’t like the excess hoses for the BH so I redid the plumbing on the tractor to eliminate the hose and installed a bypass valve, which still mimic the original design.

View attachment 724478

View attachment 724479

Hope the OP will see the benefit of getting the factory remote. It just makes sense to do so.
The OP sees the benefit and awaits the cost so the ratio can be pondered.

/ Summit Monoblock Directional Control Valve #25  
My rear remotes were $872 installed by my dealer before I picked up my tractor last March. I do not think installation is difficult.

The hydraulic fluid flow is continuous at the set pressure. Changing the engine speed changes the flow rate (GPM), not the pressure. The pump is positive displacement and hydraulic fluid is incompressible. When the fluid reaches the first valve block (loader), it goes out the PB if the loader valves are not operated. If a loader valve is operated, one side opens and send fluid to the cylinder and the other side opens to send the fluid from the cylinder to the tank. If the move the joystick in the opposite direction, the valves reverse. The next set of valves (rear remotes) works the same way receiving the fluid from the previous PB. The 3pt arms are slightly different since they only act in one direction. If no valves are operated to use the fluid, it just returns to the tank. Ultimately, fluid is always leaving the pump and going to the tank. The "return to tank" tube will not maintain pressure because it is open to the atmosphere in the tank.

My rear remotes were $872 installed by my dealer before I picked up my tractor last March. I do not think installation is difficult.

The hydraulic fluid flow is continuous at the set pressure. Changing the engine speed changes the flow rate (GPM), not the pressure. The pump is positive displacement and hydraulic fluid is incompressible. When the fluid reaches the first valve block (loader), it goes out the PB if the loader valves are not operated. If a loader valve is operated, one side opens and send fluid to the cylinder and the other side opens to send the fluid from the cylinder to the tank. If the move the joystick in the opposite direction, the valves reverse. The next set of valves (rear remotes) works the same way receiving the fluid from the previous PB. The 3pt arms are slightly different since they only act in one direction. If no valves are operated to use the fluid, it just returns to the tank. Ultimately, fluid is always leaving the pump and going to the tank. The "return to tank" tube will not maintain pressure because it is open to the atmosphere in the tank.
It's that stuff in red that is confusing. How does that work? If the 3pt is raised, the fluid used to raise it goes out to the tank. What's happening with the fluid when it's not getting used and returns to the tank? At that point, assuming nothing is being used, don't you have a continuous route from the pump to the tank through the various PB connections that would expose the line to atmospheric pressure?

/ Summit Monoblock Directional Control Valve #27  
It's that stuff in red that is confusing. How does that work? If the 3pt is raised, the fluid used to raise it goes out to the tank. What's happening with the fluid when it's not getting used and returns to the tank? At that point, assuming nothing is being used, don't you have a continuous route from the pump to the tank through the various PB connections that would expose the line to atmospheric pressure?

When you raise the 3pt the valve diverts flow to the cylinders inside the transmission case. The fluid fills them and pushes a piston which turns a shaft that exist the transmission case and rotates the arms to pull up the 3pt linkage. When the 3pt is not moving, all the flow from it goes out it's tank port, which dumps directly into the transmission case/tank.

When no valves are being operated the fluid just flows from valve to valve. It's not doing any work so the pressure is just from resistance in the hoses and valves, i.e. pretty low.

I have a BH and the two factory remotes and an additional dealer added remote. The BH's valve stack has only a tank port, no PB. And if you use the 3pt with the BH connected and get the pressure too high you can damage the expensive BH valve stack. Normally that's not an issue since the 3pt arms are off and there's no room for an implement, and the position control does not let you dead head the 3pt at the end of its travel like the simpler spool valves for the loader or more basic types of 3pt controls.

/ Summit Monoblock Directional Control Valve #28  
When no valve is operated, all the fluid flows back the tank. When a valve is operated, it diverts the flow to the function, like a hydraulic cylinder. Imagine a tee with fluid coming on one opening. The other two openings have valves. The valves operate so that if one is open the other is closed. The open end goes to the tank. When the operator moves the lever or joystick, the valves change position so the previously closed valve is open and the previously open valve is closed. The now open side pushes the cylinder under pressure until the operator stops or the cylinder can no longer move. If the cylinder stops moving, the pressure relief opens now until the operator stops the function. The pressure relief also returns to tank.

At the end of the circuit, there is not a PB and the fluid returns to the tank. If no function is in use, the fluid goes from the PB port to the next valve stack until it reaches the last one.

To be simpler, if the operator isn't using the loader, etc., the fluid continuous moves from the pump to the tank. When the operator uses a function, the fluid is directed, now under pressure, to the function. If it's a cylinder, the the fluid from the pump moves the cylinder on the pressurized side of the cylinder. The fluid on the other side of the cylinder piston returns to the tank.

Sorry for the long response. I have trouble explaining things.

/ Summit Monoblock Directional Control Valve #29  
Slightly off topic question regarding the Summit valves (made by Badestnost):

I don't see, in the Summit online catalog, any options for detented valve spools. I'm looking at adding a four spool Summit for rear remotes and would like to have at least one of the spools detented (without pressure release).
Does anyone know if that option is available thru Summit or any other supplier in the U.S.? Thanks in advance.

/ Summit Monoblock Directional Control Valve #30  
Slightly off topic question regarding the Summit valves (made by Badestnost):

I don't see, in the Summit online catalog, any options for detented valve spools. I'm looking at adding a four spool Summit for rear remotes and would like to have at least one of the spools detented (without pressure release).
Does anyone know if that option is available thru Summit or any other supplier in the U.S.? Thanks in advance.

Here is the kit for that valve: