Surprise 1023e owner looking for advice.

/ Surprise 1023e owner looking for advice. #11  
Just a note, the zerk that is hard to get to goes from the engine to the transmission. There is a tiny hole that you are suppose to grease it through. This driveshaft is tucked up pretty high.

/ Surprise 1023e owner looking for advice. #12  
A real nice tractor with low hrs and a real nice wife. You win in life, bud.

/ Surprise 1023e owner looking for advice. #13  
Just a note, the zerk that is hard to get to goes from the engine to the transmission. There is a tiny hole that you are suppose to grease it through. This driveshaft is tucked up pretty high.

For mine I got a long 1/8" pipe nipple and coupler to screw onto the end of my grease gun hose so it would reach the grease zerk, now the hardest part is getting the zerk pointed in the right direction. I try to give the drive line a shot of grease every 25 hours or so, which reminds me I need to take care of that now.

/ Surprise 1023e owner looking for advice.
Thanks for clarifying, I would not have looked at that shaft for zerks.

For mine I got a long 1/8" pipe nipple and coupler to screw onto the end of my grease gun hose so it would reach the grease zerk, now the hardest part is getting the zerk pointed in the right direction. I try to give the drive line a shot of grease every 25 hours or so, which reminds me I need to take care of that now.
That sounds like a good idea. As a former pipe fitter, I still have some 1/8 pipe nipples and fittings laying around. I could rig that up on my retired greases gun that I've been to stingy to throw out since I went electric. Thanks you. This really helps.

/ Surprise 1023e owner looking for advice. #16  
A lot of guys swap the lights on the ROPS from the out side to the inside, usually after hitting a limb/tree mowing and ruining one light. Or get the optional guards for them.
A friend has one, same model. He had starting problems. Tractor did not think it was in neutral. Had message on the dash "shift to neutral" rather than replace the neutral start switch, he held the key on and moved the shift lever back and forth until it started.
His son tried to mow and told him it was broke. The son had shifted the PTO from mid to rear and could not figure out why it would not mow.

my manual does show the main driveline lubrication with a 50 hr interval. What also caught my attention his morning is that the loader SCV valve ball joints and lock lever may also need grease. This is the 4th tractor with a loader that I’ve owned since Y2K and I don’t recall having to do this previously for any of them. Maybe I've been missing a step, I better double check the manual for my other tractor too.
IMG_4007.JPG

Last edited:
It's official, the zerk on the front of the shaft running from the engine to transmission is really hard to get to. After surveying things for a while I decided to pop the floorboard off. It made servicing the u-joints on that shaft and changing the hydraulic filter much easier. Plus it gave me an opportunity to clean out the dirt in those hidden areas, and gave me extra slack in the fuel hoses to work with while changing the fuel filter coming out of the tank. Thanks again to all who made suggestions on this post. It definitely helped. To anyone else contemplating the 200 hour service items, I'd definitely recommend popping the floor boards off. It only takes a few minutes and makes access much better.

I decided to get some more equipment for the little 1023 this week. My local Deere dealer has some inventory in his yard and gave me a little bundle deal for these two items and a heavy hitch receiver that I’ll try to get installed tomorrow. My young apprentice is pretty happy about this new equipment too.
IMG_4038.JPG
IMG_4028.JPG
IMG_4032.JPG

/ Surprise 1023e owner looking for advice. #20  
Check out Tractor Time with Tim on Youtube. Great little machine, enjoy.
OP bought himself a Johnny...

Enjoy your fluid changes and grease jobs...