Surprise 1023e owner looking for advice.

/ Surprise 1023e owner looking for advice. #31  
Pretty sure the manual says to use GL5, something like 75-90.

/ Surprise 1023e owner looking for advice.
Pretty sure the manual says to use GL5, something like 75-90.

That may be a good possibility for what was in there. I'd still love to see it in print, but I just looked through the operators manual again and still don't see it listed anywhere.

Last edited:
   / Surprise 1023e owner looking for advice. #33  
No it does not use gear oil it uses UTF. Look at this:

Attachments

• 1023E_1025R_1026R Service.pdf
    332.4 KB · Views: 83
   / Surprise 1023e owner looking for advice. #34  
John
You thinking UTF is the same as HyGard?

Appears HyGard (in print) is just what milkman used.

Attachments

• JD axle oil.jpg
    JD axle oil.jpg
    209 KB · Views: 80
Gotta check the label on what you are purchasing to see if it is HyGard compatible.

(y)
It was actual John Deere HyGard. I used it on assumption from previous experience, Seeing how slowly the stuff coming out flowed in comparison with the HyGard going back in made me question that decision. I really appreciate seeing the correct oil in print from Deere. Thanks for posting that document.

/ Surprise 1023e owner looking for advice. #38  
happy to be of service, I tend to always download ALL the manufacturer documentation I can find about any piece of equipment I own

I picked up a block heater kit and did the install this weekend. It was a surprisingly pleasant task with the bolt-on adapter that is provided. It only took about an hour to do, and having a warmer block seems to noticeably smooth out the first start on a December day.

One more question I have is about steering wheel free play. It seems that the steering wheel shaft has a little more movement in the column than I’m used too. Has anyone else experienced this on a 1023e? What was the fix for it?

/ Surprise 1023e owner looking for advice. #40  
No personal experience but I have read where people say they get a little loose from using it as a handle to pull yourself up on the tractor.