Swapping Robin out with Kohler today

/ Swapping Robin out with Kohler today #61  
Another snag today. Went to put the battery back in the tub, it's not fitting. The new Kohler engine has a bigger oil filter that really sticks out. I need a half inch.
How about a smaller battery?

My PT422 has the standard garden tractor sized battery on the floor of the tub on the right forward of the engine.

Since you have the mid-mount engine, that won't work for you. What about the right rear of the tub? Or is that where your battery was already located (like in Moss' pictures)?

/ Swapping Robin out with Kohler today
Yes, It is in the right rear of the tub. Do you think I can get another battery rated with the same cold cranking amps in a smaller package?

It was a tight fit with the Robin. You had to tilt it sideways to get it in and then maneuver it around to fit just right.

/ Swapping Robin out with Kohler today #63  
Is your engine a CH25?

If so, here's a link to the service manual for that engine.
http://www.kohlerengines.com/onlinecatalog/pdf/24_690_30_EN.pdf

The wiring diagram is on page 36 and the key is on page 37. The green wire appears to be the oil sentry circuit. It should go to an oil pressure sensor and light if you have one (I don't). You'll see it clearly on the diagram, again, if that's the same engine model you have.

The fan on the hood goes to the temp sensor switch on the hydraulics. When the hydraulics heat up, it closes the temp sensor switch and provides 12v to the fan, I believe. I don't have my diagrams with me tonight.

/ Swapping Robin out with Kohler today #64  
To get the battery in and out of my 2001 model PT425, I have to remove the muffler from the engine, then its a tight fit at some weird angles, but it goes in.

/ Swapping Robin out with Kohler today #65  
Here's the battery that I use in mine. I'm on my second one. Factory battery lasted about 6 years. This one lasted about 6 years. I'm 3-4 years into this one.

Duralast 51-DLG
Sold at Autozone.
2001 PT425 with the Kohler command engine, Kohler muffler in the rear. Hydraulic PTO pumps in rear, tram pump in front of the engine.
500CCA

Duralast Gold/Battery 51-DLG- ReadReviews onDuralast Gold #51-DLG

GOOD GRAVY THEY ARE EXPENSIVE NOW!!! :eek:

There's a 20% off coupon on orders over $100, so you could get it for a bit over $100, but YIKES!!!!

Anyhow, take your battery that won't fit down to autozone along with a tape measure and see if they have anything that's a bit smaller with the highest cranking amps you can find. Don't purchase until you know it will fit.

/ Swapping Robin out with Kohler today
Yes My Kohler is the CH 730-3208 was a 25hp now rated 23.5hp. Moss I looked at your Duralast it is pretty much the same dimensions as the Interstate MT-51 500 CCA. It is 9 1/4 " in length. I measured with a square it will never fit with the way the oil filter sticks out. I need an inch.

/ Swapping Robin out with Kohler today #67  
Do you have the long oil filter or the short oil filter?

Bridgekeeper: What... is the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow?
King Arthur: What do you mean? An African or European swallow?
Bridgekeeper: Huh? I... I don't know that.
AAAAAAaaaaaaaa!!!!!

/ Swapping Robin out with Kohler today #68  
In all seriousness, there's a long filter and a short filter. I don't know if it will make a difference for you or not, but its worth looking into.

/ Swapping Robin out with Kohler today #70  
I was about to say, there are shorter filters.

And truly a great scene, one of many. It is after all, just a rabbit.