Swapping Robin out with Kohler today

/ Swapping Robin out with Kohler today
I can tell you Moss it aint easy!!! Tonight I set the engine in the tub for the tenth time. I have tried every which way. I talked to Terry today as well. So, I have the engine and the front pump and coupler set in place. I have the four motor to engine stand bolts in place, however they are not tightened down. The two on the starter side of the engine are a real bastard. I have a locking nut on the front one. I have tried every combination of 1/2" socket, open end wrench, gear wrench, swivel that I have. There is minimal room for your hand to turn any wrench to tighten.
As far as the rear pumps. I disconnected the four hoses on the pumps. Removed the pumps. Tried every which way as well to hook up to the engine even before I set the engine. I think the new front coupler is a bit longer than the old one so I am definitely losing some space that would have been beneficial for fitting the rear pumps in place. I bet I won't have a 1/2" from the backside of the pumps to the back of the tub. Extremely tight fit. It looks exactly like yours Moss in the photo of your rear pumps.
I think what I may do tomorrow is cut a small section in the back of the tub out enough to make room to fit the backside of the pump through. I don't really want to do it that way, but don't see any other choice.

/ Swapping Robin out with Kohler today #52  
Would removing the starter give you room to get to the engine mounting bolts on that side? I changed my starter last year and it went in and out pretty easily.

Would removing the starter give you room to get to the engine mounting bolts on that side? I changed my starter last year and it went in and out pretty easily.

Yes. It definitely would. I just didn't want to open another can of worms just yet. I may look at it tomorrow. I changed the starter when I had the 22 hp Robin Subaru in it. It was challenging.

Now the engine, is in place. I do like the location of the oil filter much better on the Kohler than the Robin.

Thanks Moss!

/ Swapping Robin out with Kohler today #54  
Moss, I too replaced the starter two summers ago. The bolts were very hard to get to. I drilled two holes in the tub to get to the bolts. Last summer I had trouble with ignition switch too. Along with the new motor, I purchased a new wire harness, ignition switch, hour meter, and few other things so hopefully a lot of the problems I had in the past will be gone.

Have not had time to work on this project this week. I did not want to take out the starter, however Moss has never led me astray. Literally took five minutes to take out. Was able to get an air ratchet and a back up wrench in there to tighten the bolts from the engine to the stand. This forum is a lifesaver, because I doubt I would have figured it out on my own to take out the starter to get to those bolts. So a big thank you to Moss Roads. Side note: The bolts to the starter are more accessible on the Kohler than on the 22hp Robin. The Robin's sit in deeper.

Tim, today I took your advice as well. I cut a small section out of the rear tub wall with a sawzall. Was very easy to cut out and very easy to reinstall the rear hydraulic pumps with that extra newly added space.

/ Swapping Robin out with Kohler today #58  
Good news. Glad removing the starter gained you some room.

The original wire harness had been altered and cut, wire nuts, electrical tape, etc… I bought a new wire harness from PT. I noticed the new wire harness is a lighter gauge wires. I am trying to figure out what is what. Moss I have a green coming off the engine, not PT's wire harness. Do you know what that is and where it goes? Also the new harness did not come with the wires to the fan on the hood. I am guessing I can make my own. There are two wires. One is a ground? and where does the other one go to?
Thanks
Frank

Another snag today. Went to put the battery back in the tub, it's not fitting. The new Kohler engine has a bigger oil filter that really sticks out. I need a half inch.