Tajfun logging winch

/ Tajfun logging winch #11  
I respool mine under tension once or twice a year. I bought an Igland 3501 about 6 years ago, with 165' feet of cable. It's a very capable winch.

/ Tajfun logging winch #12  
I have a Wallenstein winch. I ordered it with the remote control. You do not need to take that many trips back to the tractor like you would with a manual winch. But the hand control is difficult to use. You need to use 2 hands/ I think this is a safety feature/ and with no gloves on/ very small buttons. There's the rub. If you buy a winch with a remote control, check out the controller very carefully before you buy. Later

/ Tajfun logging winch
Thanks all for your input. Much appreciated!!!

/ Tajfun logging winch #14  
Got the winch mounted and the pto drive shaft cut to the proper length earlier this week. When I engage the pto, there's a cyclic ticking noise from the winch housing. Seem to work ok. Should have choker chains tomorrow so will spool out cable and cinch down as per manual.
Is the ticking normal or should I take a peek inside to see what's the cause?
Patrick

/ Tajfun logging winch #15  
Would that sound be the "catch" for the drum? The only thing I can think of might be the U joints. Did you put a little grease in the spiders, or running it at an extreme angle?
These are guesses, I'm not experienced with PTO logging winches other than a few pulls with a friend's winch.

/ Tajfun logging winch #16  
My Igland winch has a ratchet brake, to free spool you have to release the ratchet. Normally when winching in the ratchet brake is on, keeping the spool from spinning backwards when the load is released. That would create a rats nest of cable, to be avoided at all cost. When the ratchet is on, you hear it clicking when you are winching.

/ Tajfun logging winch #17  
You'd be surprised how difficult the seemingly simple task of spooling out 50-60' of cable in a straight line between your log and the tractor is in a heavily wooded area. It's just good practice to not scar the bark of every desirable tree in that distance and multiple snatch block hook up may be necessary. That's one trip (at least) back to the tractor with each set up. Then limbing, depending on the junk your leaving in the woods to go back to the soil, ideally I like to scatter it out. With a remote, you'll be able to trim a little then drag it a little, repeat, repeat. Every time would be another walk back to the tractor. 👍
My snatch blocks. Currently unavailable but they list a couple of others, same brand.

/ Tajfun logging winch #18  
I think the Taijfun is like my Uniforest. Instead of the ratchet it's got a brake. You pull the brake rope to release the brake and latch it open so you can pull out cable. When you pull clutch rope to pull the log the brake unlatches but stays released. When you let go the clutch rope the brake automatically engages.

Mine does not tick when running. But while it works the same and it's from the same country it's not the same design. Before opening it up you could take a video and send it to the importer.

For snatch blocks I got one of these: https://stewardshipsuppliers.com/co...1/products/igland-self-releasing-snatch-block

The self releasing feature is super cool.
or Gordon's video:

Some of them have a gap between the pulley and the chassis that the cable can get caught in. This one doesn't. Boy the prices sure went up though! Last year this was the cheapest place I found it, at $220.

I use a web strap which is what the ear on the end is for. You just stick the strap eye through the hole and back around the ear. Don't get straps with reinforced eyes like I did, that makes them too stiff. Chains like in the Igland vid would be hard on the tree which isn't what you want if you're keeping it. Also I think the Igland vid has the pulley facing up to make it visible but in operation I think down works better, especially if you put the pulley up a ways on the trunk.

/ Tajfun logging winch #19  
The ticking noise is not the pto shaft. I received the winch on a pallet on it's back, 3pt side down. Maybe something fell in or got loose in there around the pulley/flywheel area. I have to pull the upper guard to count my wraps when I tension the cable, so I'll get a look then. Eric's correct in that this winch uses and band brake, not ratcheting. Overall, very impressed with build quality. Like my Kioti, great product, not so great manual.
Patrick

/ Tajfun logging winch
I am an hour south of Buffalo. Still looking at winches. Looking for a Igland dealer. Found one in Vermont about 9 hours away. Would like to find one closer so I can get a look at their line.

Thanks