Talk me into (or out of) an Original Tractor Cab enclosure

/ Talk me into (or out of) an Original Tractor Cab enclosure #1  

jweedz

Tractor
Kubota L2501
I have a Kubota L2501 w/FEL blade that I use to plow our driveway in the winter (south central Wisconsin), and although it usually takes less than an hour to do, I occasionally get a blast of wind driven snow that makes me long for some type of enclosure. I really like the looks of the original tractor cab enclosures, and they seem to review pretty good as well. My question is, does anyone have experience with one on an L-Series, and what (if anything) did you do to close up the area under the seat to the rear? If I do end up with one, I'd also most likely purchase and install an aftermarket heater, so I'd like to block the majority of the larger openings.

/ Talk me into (or out of) an Original Tractor Cab enclosure #2  
Hi, I'm surprised that nobody has responded to your question. I don't have a Kubota but I can't imagine the design varies too much from the OTC on my JD2520. I got it last year just before a sub-zero cold snap. Wow... should have done that years ago! My 2520 is comparable to your L2501; again, I'm guessing the cabs would be too. The rear cab section, behind the seat, is covered by the equivalent of 'leaving your shirttail out'. The vinyl just hangs below to just above the upper control arm.

otc.jpg

Does it 'block' the opening? Pretty well actually. You won't feel a draft or wind. I'm not compelled to improve mine (I wouldn't know how to actually... a lot going on in that section of the tractor). Regarding the heater, I don't want one. In fact, when I bought, OTC had a promotion and gave me a 12V heater with the order. I didn't install and gave it to a friend for his cab'd Mule. Ease of installation/removal is important to me (kiss). I was comfortable with a coat on in that 10 day sub-zero snap. When the weather is in the 20's... the full winter coat is a bit much. Remember, you're putting an enclosure up against a machine that is rejecting heat as it chooches.

My cab is in the basement right now because I am about the fab a wooden lift beam tool before re-installing it this year. TTWT has a few videos showing his installation method... pretty wonky. I have an open post in the "Snow Blowing" section here asking for installation ideas; 2 responses so far. One lifts it off then stores up to his garage rafters and the other takes it all apart. I really want to leave it together (again, ease of install is important to me.) I just finished installing a box rail to the ceiling of my shop. I bought a single 'truck' in it to carry a simple deer hoist pully system. The plan is to park the tractor centered under the rail, snap the lift beam to the cab, attach to the hoist, lift cab, slide over the tractor from the rear, and lower down. I'll post results and pics by week's end probably. Hope this helps!

Last edited:
   / Talk me into (or out of) an Original Tractor Cab enclosure #3  
@dadohead Either your profile needs to be updated, or you are not in South Central Wisconsin. Horicon is just plain Central. Probably need to be south of 94 to be considered South Central. ;)

I don't miss the snow. I went to Whitewater. Lived in Waukesha for about 6 years. Do those cabs help with dust and yellow jackets?

/ Talk me into (or out of) an Original Tractor Cab enclosure
Hi, I'm surprised that nobody has responded to your question. I don't have a Kubota but I can't imagine the design varies too much from the OTC on my JD2520. I got it last year (south central Wisconsin too) just before a sub-zero cold snap. Wow... should have done that years ago! My 2520 is comparable to your L2501; again, I'm guessing the cabs would be too. The rear cab section, behind the seat, is covered by the equivalent of 'leaving your shirttail out'. The vinyl just hangs below to just above the upper control arm.

View attachment 721752

Does it 'block' the opening? Pretty well actually. You won't feel a draft or wind. I'm not compelled to improve mine (I wouldn't know how to actually... a lot going on in that section of the tractor). Regarding the heater, I don't want one. In fact, when I bought, OTC had a promotion and gave me a 12V heater with the order. I didn't install and gave it to a friend for his cab'd Mule. Ease of installation/removal is important to me (kiss). I was comfortable with a coat on in that 10 day sub-zero snap. When the weather is in the 20's... the full winter coat is a bit much. Remember, you're putting an enclosure up against a machine that is rejecting heat as it chooches.

My cab is in the basement right now because I am about the fab a wooden lift beam tool before re-installing it this year. TTWT has a few videos showing his installation method... pretty wonky. I have an open post in the "Snow Blowing" section here asking for installation ideas; 2 responses so far. One lifts it off then stores up to his garage rafters and the other takes it all apart. I really want to leave it together (again, ease of install is important to me.) I just finished installing a box rail to the ceiling of my shop. I bought a single 'truck' in it to carry a simple deer hoist pully system. The plan is to park the tractor centered under the rail, snap the lift beam to the cab, attach to the hoist, lift cab , slide over the tractor from the rear, and lower down. I'll post results and pics by week's end probably. Hope this helps!
Thank you! That's quite helpful as haven't been able to find a pic of the rear of the cabs to see how far down they came. Luckily, things have been pretty mild and snow free so far this year, but the more the temperature drops the more I think I should've already purchased and installed one of these by now!

/ Talk me into (or out of) an Original Tractor Cab enclosure #5  
I edited it out to make you feel better Torvy. Did Whitewater ever get accredited? ;)

/ Talk me into (or out of) an Original Tractor Cab enclosure #6  
Who needs it? They got A bunch of Championships. :)

Up north in Horicon, you're practically a Yooper.

/ Talk me into (or out of) an Original Tractor Cab enclosure #7  
JWeedz,
I have an OTC on my BX, you can read this thread for my thoughts

hope that works!

cheers,
BN

/ Talk me into (or out of) an Original Tractor Cab enclosure
JWeedz,
I have an OTC on my BX, you can read this thread for my thoughts

hope that works!

cheers,
BN
Awesome, thank you! The majority of the feedback I've seen has been pretty positive for such an affordable unit, in particular the life span people seem to be getting out of them. I deal with a fair amount of soft cabs on UTVs at work, and they're less than ideal in many cases. The OTC cabs sound pretty well put together.

/ Talk me into (or out of) an Original Tractor Cab enclosure #9  
I had an OTC on my Wheelhorse tractor for 18 Winters and it was still mint!!

I really wouldn’t be able to use a cabbed tractor on my propert.

FWIW I got the glass windshield with the wipe. As far as heat, I’m a weather wimp and all I ever wear is a light jacket while snowblowing. The only thing that ever gets cold is my Right hand operating the chute and schnozzl!

let us know how you make out!

cheers,
BN

/ Talk me into (or out of) an Original Tractor Cab enclosure #10  
OTC on my John Deere. It's great. Get the glass windshield. Never seen a need for a wiper.