Tandem axle wagon build

/ Tandem axle wagon build #1  

Hooked_on_HP

Veteran Member
Tractor
Ford 1900 FWD Kubota F2100E
I got all my metal ,axles rims and tires. Its time to start building. My design has changed a little from my previous post.The trailer is going to be 5.5' x 8' and built out of 2x2 11ga. box tubing. I got 2 - 2000lb axles and springs. I only got 2 of 4 tires. The other 2 will be in next week. The tires are 18.5 x8.5 x8. The frame is 4' wide to match the leaf springs. I am using my ironworker to make the spring hangers and any other bracket I need. I got the shell of the frame welded up tonight. I set the axles on to figure out where I wanted to mount them.I decided to mount them 7" rear of center. Here are some pics of what I have done so far.
Bill

Attachments

• 100_0197.jpg
    100_0197.jpg
    177.2 KB · Views: 1,300
  • 100_0198.jpg
    100_0198.jpg
    165.3 KB · Views: 810
  • 100_0199.jpg
    100_0199.jpg
    165.6 KB · Views: 1,093
  • 100_0200.jpg
    100_0200.jpg
    147.5 KB · Views: 684
  • 100_0201.jpg
    100_0201.jpg
    156.2 KB · Views: 807
  • 100_0202.jpg
    100_0202.jpg
    146.9 KB · Views: 606
  • 100_0205.jpg
    100_0205.jpg
    108.7 KB · Views: 634
   / Tandem axle wagon build #2  
Lookin' good, keep us posted. I bet your loving that new iron worker.
BTW just how big is your bandsaw in the background of photo two? It looks huge!

/ Tandem axle wagon build #3  
Do you have specific reasons why the corners are not cut to 45 degrees for connection? I prefer the closed in frames for looks and - I believe:D - stronger connection.

/ Tandem axle wagon build #4  
Looking good.:D

Any reason for mounting the axles independent of each other??

/ Tandem axle wagon build #6  
Do you have specific reasons why the corners are not cut to 45 degrees for connection? I prefer the closed in frames for looks and - I believe:D - stronger connection.

I have a bet he is going to cut out some 1.75 x 1.75 flat squares and weld into those corners using the fancy new iron worker.

wanted to wonder what you were going to do for the center link did you buy the tri-angular center part for duals? or are you going to try & make some> look for some DOM heavy wall 1/2" wall x 1" ID tube for the hinge points to reinforce the square tube and create some good hinges that will last, & install some grease Zerks into the hinge area to force out the dirt/sand that WILL get into them.
mark`

/ Tandem axle wagon build
Eagon, I'm not sure if I am going to mount them seperatly or connect them. If I mount them seperatly I can keep the axles closer together.

czechsonofagun. see spikers post. Also trying to make 45 deg cuts on my band saw isn't the easiest. I have the saw squared up now so it makes perfect cuts and don't want to mess it up.

RedDirt , I'm not shure how big it will cut.But I am shure it will do 12"x12" maby bigger.

Other than a general idea on size I don't have a set plan on how I am building this. As I go along things keep changing. I also thought about moving one set of springs inboard about 3" so I could move the axles a little closer. I will have to give that a little more thought. It is a work in progress.
Bill

/ Tandem axle wagon build #8  
Eagon, I'm not sure if I am going to mount them seperatly or connect them. If I mount them seperatly I can keep the axles closer together.

czechsonofagun. see spikers post. Also trying to make 45 deg cuts on my band saw isn't the easiest. I have the saw squared up now so it makes perfect cuts and don't want to mess it up.

RedDirt , I'm not shure how big it will cut.But I am shure it will do 12"x12" maby bigger.

Other than a general idea on size I don't have a set plan on how I am building this. As I go along things keep changing. I also thought about moving one set of springs inboard about 3" so I could move the axles a little closer. I will have to give that a little more thought. It is a work in progress.
Bill

Looks good. I prefer joined springs as it allows the axles to balance the load across the axles better. I was suprised by your axle placement though, as I would have expected the axles to be placed further to the rear. This helps to keep the weight closer to the axles when dumping. I'm excited to see how everything comes together. Keep the pix and porgress comming.

/ Tandem axle wagon build #9  
I got all my metal ,axles rims and tires. Its time to start building. My design has changed a little from my previous post.The trailer is going to be 5.5' x 8' and built out of 2x2 11ga. box tubing. I got 2 - 2000lb axles and springs. I only got 2 of 4 tires. The other 2 will be in next week. The tires are 18.5 x8.5 x8. The frame is 4' wide to match the leaf springs. I am using my ironworker to make the spring hangers and any other bracket I need. I got the shell of the frame welded up tonight. I set the axles on to figure out where I wanted to mount them.I decided to mount them 7" rear of center. Here are some pics of what I have done so far.
Bill

Sir, you sure can weld! Very nice work. We are all looking forward to viewing the final product. Some one mentioned tandem axle positioning. It looks like you have calculated the weight distribution to the hitch correct. I built mine almost exactly the same as yours (5 x 8 with a 5 ft tongue). I set the tandem centre back 6" from body centre, = 5.26% weight transfer to the hitch.

Keep us posted...

Dan

/ Tandem axle wagon build
I didn't get a lot done tonight. We got 6" of snow and had to take care of my drive and 3 neighbors.At least I got to use the tractor.
On to the wagon. I got my self a little stumped on my axle position. I intended to position the axle 7" back from center. I measured to the center of the frame(4') and marked it. Then I measured 7' back from that and put a mark. Then I positioned the back of the front spring on the rear mark and the front of the rear spring on the rear mark. This should have put the center of the tandem 7" rear of center? I welded on my front spring hangers. Tonight I started looking at it and it just didn't look close. I measured from the front of the front spring to the front of the frame. Then I measured from the rear of the rear spring to the rear fram rail. There is 14" difference. Is this right? After this confusion I turned it over and started working on the other side .I got the rear hinge made on one side. I have some 1 1/8 tubing with an id of .780. I drilled a hole through the frame and welded in the tube for the pin to go through. Then I made some plates out of 3/8x2 and punched 3/4 holes in them for the pivot pin.
Bill

Attachments

• 100_0206.jpg
    100_0206.jpg
    150.1 KB · Views: 498
  • 100_0209.jpg
    100_0209.jpg
    114.1 KB · Views: 473
  • 100_0210.jpg
    100_0210.jpg
    106.2 KB · Views: 341
  • 100_0216.jpg