TC-29 starting problems

/ TC-29 starting problems #1  

JohnPatzer

My TC-29 sometimes will not start. The Ignition light comes on but no start. A click sound in the switch is it. Sometimes it starts, sometimes it doesn't.

I have had this same problem off on on for several years.

I have replaced the battery, the battery cables and have had the starter and alternator tested.

Any suggestions?

Thank you.

John P.

/ TC-29 starting problems #2  
Welcome to TBN.

The Ignition Switches on the Boomer line of tractors have been a recurring weak link. A trip through the archives using the Search Funtion might provide your definitive answer.

/ TC-29 starting problems #3  
JohnPatzer:

Welcome to TBN and the Blue Forum :D! Although I have not yet have any troubles with my ignition switch yet, I agree with DocHeb as to researching out solutions to your intermittent problem. As a start you could spray the internals of your switch with a drying/cleaning agent. Jay

/ TC-29 starting problems #4  
After the ign. switch; make sure all interlock safety switch connections are tight and corrosion free. If you remove a terminal, clean it and use dielectric grease on it. Something CNH forgot. Remember that there are many safety switches. pto (mid and rear); range selection, seat and others depending on year and model.

/ TC-29 starting problems #5  
The safety interlock switches are the same circuit that closes the starter solenoid. If any of the switches are dirty you end up with low voltage at the solenoid. There is a service bulletin to add a relay and separate this into two circuits. This brings voltage straight to the starter solenoid when the relay closes.

/ TC-29 starting problems #6  
JohnPatzer said:
My TC-29 sometimes will not start. The Ignition light comes on but no start. A click sound in the switch is it. Sometimes it starts, sometimes it doesn't.

I have replaced the battery, the battery cables and have had the starter and alternator tested..

John, you've just described the very worst kind of troubleshooting problem there is. The intermittent problem that comes and goes is just impossible to fix without "easter egging" the problem. If it continues, I'd look at the neutral start relay or the ignition switch. It also very well could be the starter solenoid and not show up when it was tested. Unless you can get a hard and repeatable failure long enough to troubleshoot, anybody's guess is just a guess. You sound like you've done all the right things with the battery terminals and cables. It's probably dirty contacts on the switch, relay, or burned solenoid contacts.

When it doesn't start, does it repeat only a few times or as many as 10 attempts? If it repeats for several attempts, at least you have a shot at troubleshooting if you have a meter handy and somebody to help. You really need a meter, a schematic, and a helper. I don't know about you, but when I have a problem, it always seems like I don't have any of those things, much less all of them.:rolleyes: Good luck!

/ TC-29 starting problems #7  
If you hear a clicking, I would doubt that the interlock switches are not made. I think if any safety switches were open then you would have nothing. Did you try to tap the starter solenoid with a bar or small hammer when it won't start?

/ TC-29 starting problems #8  
You said the clicking sound was from the switch -- is it a light or heavy kind of sound? Does it really come from the switch, or is there something else clicking as the switch closes? The more descriptive and directive you can be, the better able these guys will be to help out, but again, it's gonna be a lot of by guess and by golly until you find the right thing. If it's a heavy clicking that isn't right from the switch, I would look at the starter solenoid, but if it's a lightweight mechanical click like a door lock, I would suspect the switch itself. Good Luck and keep us posted about what you try and what success you have.

/ TC-29 starting problems #9  
SteveInMD said:
The safety interlock switches are the same circuit that closes the starter solenoid. If any of the switches are dirty you end up with low voltage at the solenoid. There is a service bulletin to add a relay and separate this into two circuits. This brings voltage straight to the starter solenoid when the relay closes.

Wow.. elegant fix.. have the safety switches merely power the low load relay coil.. then let it's single contacts power the starter solenoid.

should have been like that in t he first place!

soundguy

/ TC-29 starting problems #10  
JohnPatzer said:

I have replaced the battery, the battery cables and have had the starter and alternator tested.

Any suggestions?

Thank you.

John P.

Okay guys, start laughing if you will, but I bet there are others out there that do not realize this either.

Drove me nuts on my 1925 till I figured out what the problem was, and no, my dealers, nor my owners manual covered it.

And I am still not positive I have this right.

When you grab the key, and turn it all the way right, Holding your hand "neuteral" (as in not pressing in on the key) I bet it clicks, and that is your preheat setting. It will "click" lights (to include the glo plug light) will all illuminate and the starter will not engage.

Now, release the key, regrab the key, push in, towards the dash, and turn it all the way right again and your starter will engage.

At least that is the way mine works, and it sure is not how it is explained in my owners manual.

Hope it helps, sorry if you have a totally different setup and this has no relevance to your tractor.:D

Oh, on edit, on my switch, you can feel the springload of the key when you push in, and I was usually pushing in and not realizing it, which made it maddening to sort out what was happening.