Tell me about bed liner experience

/ Tell me about bed liner experience #1  

prichard

Veteran Member
Tractor
B2601 FEL
I bought a new truck and need to add a bed liner. My last truck had factory (dealer) plastic slide in liner. I both loved and hated that stuff slid in it. Great for sliding heavy stuff around or just shoving stuff from front to back to unload. But then a real pain when I didn't want stuff moving around.

I do not want to do DIY spray/paint on.

I got nearly identical quotes on Rhino and Line-X. Rhino says UV protection but it looks like Line-X requires an upgrade for UV.

I also looked at Truck Bedliners for Ford, GMC, Chevy & Dodge | DualLiner I don't know what to think of that, but somehow don't think its as great as they want to make out.

Tell me what you've had what you like and don't like.

/ Tell me about bed liner experience #3  
I've had bed mats and spray in liners both. At work we have had the slide in liners, sprayed in liners and just painted beds. I prefer the spray in by far. They are a little textured so things don't slide around too much but you can still push things across them also.

/ Tell me about bed liner experience #4  
It will depend on how you use your truck bed. I've had a couple different varieties of the spray-in liner and about all they are good for is to keep stuff for sliding around. The drop-in liners I had provided much better impact protection because of the thick corrugations on the bottom. I have a habit of throwing in tools, fence posts - and mainly firewood - into the bed of my trucks, sometimes from a distance. A spray-in liner will not prevent dents in the bed from that kind of use, even with a bed mat. No problem with the drop-in liner.

/ Tell me about bed liner experience #5  
I got a good deal on my Duramax from the bankrupt GM, but had them throw in a free bed liner for good measure. Not Original GM. Yeah, stuff slides around, but mostly I have found that to be more helpful at times with heavy stuff. Like, you want to pull a heavy skid away from your back window, before you lift it. Or push heavy stuff forward so it won't have any place to go when stopping.

From my perspective, these Heavy Duty trucks are just a delicate POS soup can, and I want to be able to move my loads around as easy as possible with the minimum of force.

My Bed Liner is pretty chewed up. As far as I am concerned, that damage would be to the truck with a spray in liner.

Last edited:
   / Tell me about bed liner experience
   / Tell me about bed liner experience
I've seen some on trucks that are harder that seems like stuff could slide better and others that are very soft like rubber. Is this just in the options you select in Rhino or Line-X? Or is one of those or another more one way than the other?

/ Tell me about bed liner experience #8  
My 2009 Tacoma has a plastic bed, which has held up well for above average truck usage for a Tacoma. It is slick, which is a blessing & a curse. Easy to slide stuff in & out, but it slides on it's own when driving.

My solution has been a bed bar. It's just a ratchet strap mechinism on 2 nested tubes. The gear on the ratchet pushes on notches in the inner tube. It jams in right enough to keep any reasonable load from sliding around.

Doesnt answer your spray in liner question, but is hopefully a solution to the sliding issues of a drop in liner.

/ Tell me about bed liner experience #9  
I bought my F150 new in 2011 and had the dealer include a LineX lining before I ever took the truck. Still looks as good today with no peeling and very little fading if any. Truck has set outside in sun and snow area and carried “stuff” in the bed it’s whole life.

/ Tell me about bed liner experience #10  
Ever more enforced here is the requirement that nothing, and I mean nothing can be insecure in the bed of your truck. So stuff moving around becomes a moot point, unless you are just driving around your own property.

I carry a long SS hook in the back to grab stuff that has shifted up front.