Tell us something we don’t know.

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #4,371  
View attachment 803368
And before the Appalachian range formed (Central Pangean Mountains), was the "new river", which flows through West Virginia, and is one of the oldest rivers in the world. The grand canyon of the east.

The New River bridge. Made from CorTen steel, which weathers to a rust like color, but requires no painting.
With an arch 1,700 feet long, the New River Gorge Bridge was at one time the world's longest single-span arch bridge.
View attachment 803362

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #4,373  
Based on bedrock elevations, at one time the Wisconsin river could have flowed south, then east, and exit through the St Lawrence.
On the map below, red line would be the glacial extent damning the river, yellow would be the new river course once it's banks were breached, blue indicates multiple tributaries that enter the Wisconsin in an easterly direction. Tributaries usually enter in a downstream direction. White boxs, are perched terraces - those terrace elevations can be traced through to the fox river valley, green bay, and St Lawrence sea way.
1.jpg

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #4,374  
My nephew lives in Peru studying herbal plants and is involved in groups coming to the village for ayahuasca.
Ayahuasca (pronounced ‘eye-ah-WAH-ska’) is a plant-based psychedelic. Psychedelics affect all the senses, altering a person’s thinking, sense of time and emotions. They can cause a person to hallucinate—seeing or hearing things that do not exist or are distorted.
He has his own podcast: (www.jasongrechanik.com)
In Peru they grow tobacco, actually the first tobacco native Americans introduced to the settlers:
Nicotiana rustica, commonly known as Aztec tobacco or strong tobacco is a rainforest plant in the family Solanaceae. It is a very potent variety of tobacco, containing up to nine times more nicotine than common species of Nicotiana such as Nicotiana tabacum (common tobacco).
Nicotiana rustica was originally grown by Native Americans in the eastern United States, and was the first tobacco species introduced to England and Portugal.
Peruvians smoke or chew it, he says they call it the 'father medicine'. Nicotine has interesting properties and my thought is the processing and additives are what makes it bad, not natural.View attachment 803177
I loved nicotine. It was by far my drug of choice, along with caffeine. When I was coding in assembler, cigarettes and coffee were my doorway to the zone. Unfortunately, I got viral pneumonia and had a lot of lung damage. My choice was give up smoking or give up breathing. I gave up smoking. If my doc ever tells me I only have six months to live, one of the first things I will do is buy a couple of briars and a pound of Cavendish.

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #4,376  

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #4,378  
Sir Brian Harold May CBE (born 19 July 1947) is a British musician, singer, songwriter and astrophysicist. He achieved worldwide fame as the lead guitarist of the rock band Queen, which he co-founded with singer Freddie Mercury and drummer Roger Taylor. His guitar work and songwriting contributions helped Queen become one of the most successful acts in music history.

May previously performed with Taylor in the blues rock band Smile, which he had joined while he was at university. After Mercury joined to form Queen in 1970, bass guitarist John Deacon completed the line-up in 1971. They became one of the biggest rock bands in the world with the success of the album A Night at the Opera and its single "Bohemian Rhapsody". From the mid-1970s until 1986, Queen played at some of the biggest venues in the world, including an acclaimed performance at Live Aid in 1985.[3] As a member of Queen, May became regarded as a virtuoso musician, identified with a distinctive sound created through his layered guitar work, often using a home-built electric guitar called the Red Special.[4] May wrote numerous hits for Queen, including "We Will Rock You", "I Want It All", "Fat Bottomed Girls", "Flash", "Hammer to Fall", "Save Me", "Who Wants to Live Forever", "Too Much Love Will Kill You", "Tie Your Mother Down" and "The Show Must Go On".

Following the death of Mercury in 1991, aside from the 1992 tribute concert, the release of Made in Heaven (1995) and the 1997 tribute single to Mercury, "No-One but You (Only the Good Die Young)" (written by May), Queen were put on hiatus for several years but were eventually reconvened by May and Taylor for further performances featuring other vocalists. In 2005, a Planet Rock poll saw May voted the seventh-greatest guitarist of all time.[5] He was ranked at No. 26 on Rolling Stone's list of the "100 Greatest Guitarists of All Time".[6] In 2012, he was ranked the second-greatest guitarist in a Guitar World magazine readers poll.[7] In 2001, May was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame as a member of Queen and in 2018 the band received the Grammy Lifetime Achievement Award.[8]

May was appointed a Commander of the Most Excellent Order of the British Empire (CBE) in 2005 for services to the music industry and for charity work.[9] May earned a PhD degree in astrophysics from Imperial College London in 2007,[1][2] and was Chancellor of Liverpool John Moores University from 2008 to 2013.[10] He was a "science team collaborator" with NASA's New Horizons Pluto mission.[11][12] He is also a co-founder of the awareness campaign Asteroid Day.[13] Asteroid 52665 Brianmay was named after him. May is also an animal rights activist, campaigning against fox hunting and the culling of badgers in the UK.[14]

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #4,379  
"I was wondering where the word 'arena' came from when I was reading about the Colosseum in Rome. I looked it up and I was amazed to find out what arena means in Latin, it means 'beach' or 'beach sand.'

And I thought, how weird. Why would they call the Colosseum something that means 'beach' or 'beach sand'?

And the answer is, the floor of the Colosseum was made of sand. To soak up all the blood from their battles.

So they named it an arena because they used sand as the floor."

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #4,380  
"I was wondering where the word 'arena' came from when I was reading about the Colosseum in Rome. I looked it up and I was amazed to find out what arena means in Latin, it means 'beach' or 'beach sand.'

And I thought, how weird. Why would they call the Colosseum something that means 'beach' or 'beach sand'?

And the answer is, the floor of the Colosseum was made of sand. To soak up all the blood from their battles.

So they named it an arena because they used sand as the floor."
Sand, the original soft matting material and allows quick spill clean up.
Where's the infomercial on that?