Tell us something we don’t know.

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #5,721  
I’ve been doing the “hole punch” for many years, but more recently I added placing a plastic grocery bag over the top before sealing. It not only provides a better air tight seal, but the first layer keeps the paint from adhering to the lid and the second layer guarantees easy opening at a later date. Trim excess after sealing.

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #5,722  
Never heard of storing a paint can upside down. How long do you have to let it sit right side up before re-opening it? Sounds messy.
I will put rope caulking in the groove at the top of a can when I'm using to prevent paint from building up in it. Helps seal better.
The rope caulk you mention is to keep the air out. Better to seal the can, flip it over and let gravity do the heavy lifting. No mess when you reopen. I wait a few seconds, open the can and have at it. No messier than opening a full can of paint when you brought it home from a store. It's painless. :)

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #5,723  
I’ve been doing the “hole punch” for many years, but more recently I added placing a plastic grocery bag over the top before sealing. It not only provides a better air tight seal, but the first layer keeps the paint from adhering to the lid and the second layer guarantees easy opening at a later date. Trim excess after sealing.
I've done the plastic over the lid and it still leaked air. Flip a can over some time. :)

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #5,724  
I understand how flipping the can will work... but I had no idea what you guys were talking about with the "hole punch".

Found this vid that illustrates it

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #5,725  
Here something I didn't know but know now

There are microscopic bugs called "oak mites" in, you guessed it, oak trees, and they'll give you a nasty rash.
I've cleared oak here now for 25 years now and never knew this, but the other day I was cleaning up some stray branches in the trees right around the house, piling them up to fork away... without my shirt on because it was a fantastic day.

Now I've got a bunch of bites on my belly, very rude.

At least they don't carry any diseases, and don't seem to stick around; seems like they just hit me when I was probably leaning on my branch pile to compress it to put more on it. Topical benadryl helps; the itch to me is more intense than poison oak but at least the rash is smaller.

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #5,726  
I've done the plastic over the lid and it still leaked air. Flip a can over some time. :)
I was not talking about putting a bag OVER the lid, I put the bag between the can and the lid before closing.

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #5,727  
Here's one the younger bachelors might not know: The two best ways to kill a woman's sex drive are (a) wedding cake, and (b) children.

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #5,728  
Here's one the younger bachelors might not know: The two best ways to kill a woman's sex drive are (a) wedding cake, and (b) children.
Number 1 best way by far is extreme flatulence.
Actually, any flatulence works...

Last edited:
   / Tell us something we don’t know. #5,729  
Here something I didn't know but know now

There are microscopic bugs called "oak mites" in, you guessed it, oak trees, and they'll give you a nasty rash.
I've cleared oak here now for 25 years now and never knew this, but the other day I was cleaning up some stray branches in the trees right around the house, piling them up to fork away... without my shirt on because it was a fantastic day.

Now I've got a bunch of bites on my belly, very rude.

At least they don't carry any diseases, and don't seem to stick around; seems like they just hit me when I was probably leaning on my branch pile to compress it to put more on it. Topical benadryl helps; the itch to me is more intense than poison oak but at least the rash is smaller.
Well..... that would explain some of my skin conditions this summer. Been clearing off 1.5 acres of solid oak trees this summer. I've been hugging a lot of oak

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #5,730  
I was not talking about putting a bag OVER the lid, I put the bag between the can and the lid before closing.
Yes, I have done what you did and it didn't work for me. Air still got in the can and my paint skimmed over. That skimming makes it worthless.