Tell us something we don’t know.

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #1,751  
most educated people know this but many think differently...
velocity does not effect the rate of fall from gravity...

i.e.,...a projectile fired from a level position will hit the ground at the exact same time (same elevation) as a similar projectile simply dropped from the same level as the one projected...

(Neglecting the curvature of Earth)

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #1,752  
to remove the potential evidence while still in the sunshine. If you destroy it not knowing it's there it is not a crime. If OTOH you wait for the subpoena you are in deep doo doo.
Again, I ask what? You're telling you customers to destroy their hard drives every 6 months. That's nuts.

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #1,753  
A US bill is 6" long (actually 6.14"...but close enough). A penny weighs 2.5 grams. Penny's pre 1982 had more copper and were 3 grams. You can measure your shoe length and stride.
Handy to know to get a rough idea if you don't have a tape measure.
One of the few things I remembered from geometry was the pythagorean theorem I've used to find triangle hypotenuse. It's the square root one side squared plus other side squared. Easy way is remember a 3,4,5 triangle. If one side is 3, one 4, hypotenuse is 5. I've used it cutting lumber; and a nail, string & pencil for a circle.
[[Today I learned something new. A 200 pound man falling just 6 feet hits with 10,000 pounds of force! I was talking to a friend about working 24 feet up using a body harness. That 5 ton force is a lot just falling 6 feet, so rope or strap better be strong.]]

[[This is making the assumption that the man stops in 6/50th of a foot - a distance 1/50th of the fall. 200/10,000. Thats a 50G (DE)celeration. Something you could only experience once without being very well supported. Body harnesses give pretty good support but 50G is too much. A good safety setup would employ a force limiting mechanism or dynamic rope or strap that stretches ~ 25% or so as it stops a fall. In such case the stop distance would be ~ 6/4th of a foot and the average force would be around 800 pounds.]]

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #1,754  
How much time is required for something to come from nothing? Congratulations on being the only one to actually attempt to answer the question

Time multiplied by number of opportunities. Consider quantum entanglement. Was there actually ever nothing?

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #1,755  
Again, I ask what? You're telling you customers to destroy their hard drives every 6 months. That's nuts.
I was and potentially still am involved in multiple lawsuits against the XXX industry. (Retired for 5 years now, deposed last year for 7 hours). Destroying hard drives ain’t gonna get you anywhere given online devices, cloud, backups, email, text and phone company records. They all get searched by subpoena. Home & personal devices too. Very thorough and invasive.

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #1,757  
In 1936 a teenager in Tanzania named Erasto Mpemba JOLTED the physics world. His revelation is still making waves 60 years later.
He gave the world proof of a strange and counterintuitive idea: that a hot liquid may freeze faster than a cold one; the eponymous Mpemba effect.

Over the years a few people have told me that hot water makes ice cubes faster than cold. Not one could say why. I tend not to take things at face value when the speaker can't articulate the mechanics underlying their assertions.

I have boiled water for ice cubes and it does make for beautiful clear ice with no air bubbles because boiling drives entrained gasses out.
That exclusion of entrained gasses may be at the heart of the Mpemba effect. The gas molecules being insulators may slow thermal transfer.
Freezing hot water faster than cold is possibler but only under very technical laboratory conditions. You'll never do it in your kitchen.

You just get less ice with the hot water. With equal starting volumes the combined effect of evaporative cooling and greater shrinkage of the hot water results in quicker ice but less.

Last edited:
   / Tell us something we don’t know. #1,759  
at the time there were no clouds I don't use off-site data storage - ever. I've used digital discovery.
My employer's insurance company required them to use off-site data storage. So tapes were made on a regular schedule, and some of those tapes were sent off-site on a regular schedule. Log sheets were noted and signed at each transfer of data. Old tapes were wiped on a regular schedule, reformatted, and put back into rotation.

There's data, and then there's dirt.

Data is required for day-to-day operations, billing, payroll, HR, etc.

Dirt is the crap that's said in emails incriminating the idiots that put stuff in writing.

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #1,760  
Less nuts, I submit, than going to prison for something some unwitting employee did.
At the time there were no Bleach Bit packages to destroy data making it almost impossible to recover. Almost.
I suspect that One of the things that drives your objection is that you insist on a sane world where people behave and don't turn on each other over the littlest of things. But that's not the world I've lived in. My world is swimming with sharks, jackals, and hyenas all looking to tear into each other over nothing. Many will do it just because they could.

Stolen water and bread eaten in secret is sweet. Proverbs 9:17

One of the things lawyers do is consider the worst-case scenario. Literally, We ask, what's the worst that can happen? Then we come up with a mitigation or avoidance plan. If the client doesn't take the advice - - well - - they can't hold us up for malpractice when they refuse the advice.
If someone wants a technical solution, then don't ask an attorney, ask the technical guy. But you can't sue him for malpractice. So they ask the attorney. And they do sue for malpractice all the damn time.