Texas Fall/Winter thread!

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #2,171  
I copy this off of the internet,, Bluestem grows a lot faster than jig.. plus it a tall grass.. also you need a user license for applying it.:cool:. Lou

HONCHO PLUS HERBICIDE Powerful and effective Honcho Plus controls and eliminates a wide array of tough grasses and weeds. With a more durable surfactant than regular Honcho Honcho Plus sticks better and lasts longer with rapid rainfast times. Honcho Plus is non-selective, broad-spectrum weed control for many agricultural systems and farmsteads. Honcho Plus is a postemergence, systemic herbicide with no soil residual activity. It is generally non-selective and gives broad-spectrum control of many annual weeds, perennial weeds, woody brush and trees. It is formulated as a water-soluble liquid. It may be applied through most standard industrial or field sprayers after dilution and thorough mixing with water or other carriers according to label instructions.

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #2,172  
What are you using in your wick set up to control it, glyphosphate?

A few years ago the chemical name "glyphosphate" with the same percentage as the concentrated "Roundup", about 41% as I recall w/o looking on a big jug in the barn, was about half the price of Roundup. Roundup lowered their price to below the generic stuff for a while, but it was higher again this spring. I think the generic stuff went up quite a bit as well.
Roundup/glyphosphate only works well when the plants/weeds are in the rapid growing stage, we have found. Once they start to go dormant/dry it doesn't work well regardless of what you call it by.
A lot of weeds are getting resistant to it. Used to use Roundup in the riding ring but have had to switch to Banvel to keep it clear. Banvel is great for woody plants, like the dreaded imported "multi-flora-rose"

Unless you want to kill everything in the field and start over, FG., Lou's wicking method is probably the most efficient and economical.

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #2,173  
Here is something I wrote last year for some old folks,, like us they were talking about killing weeds..

Lou been working,,, By Lou

Some people have been asking me what I have been up too lately,, not a lot but some,, I’ve been spraying my weed patch as I like to call it,, we had a bad drought last year and the good grass died,, but the native grasses flowered and grew and grew,,
So I decided this year I will become the herbicide broadleaf fighter,, mostly,, I was after the McCartney rose bush that has taken over my land,, this is an import from England (1830’s) that was used on and for fencing,, it will grow to ten or higher feet,, big thorns that no living thing could pass thru and tell about it.. If it stayed on the fence line I could live with that but it like the pasture and it is taken over.. I have lost maybe 50% grazing land from this bush in the last year.. Can’t blame George for this one,, Jr. or Sr..
So anyway I have been using an 25 gallon pull behind tank with a spray wand that will reach up to 25 feet away,, 12V. electric,, This way I can spray what I want to spray without killing a lot of good grasses,, everything has been going along fine till Monday of this week,, when I mixing up my fifth batch,, a tank a day,, when I noticed I had ran out of surfactant,, now surfactant is like a soap,, you mix it with the weed killer,, or herbicide,, and it helps the weed killer to stick to the leafs of the intended plant,, given it a better chance of doing it jobs.. But I was out of surfactant,, oh lordly what now? Go to the store and get some more?,, long drive,, or just spray,, but the weed killer may be wasted,, it’s not cheap,,
So think Lou,,
I was talking to myself,, you can do that when no one around for miles,, so I sat down to have a beer and think,,
When I noticed the tack room,, that’s where I keep stuff for the creatures of the ranch or farm,, Went inside and the first thing I saw was a full bottle of dog shampoo,, Awesome,, that was the name of it,, Awesome dog shampoo,, it was nice and thick,, the bubble had a hard time moving when I turned it upside down.. kills fleas and leaves a nice clean shiny coat.
Just what I needed.. Awesome,, I read the instruction and it didn’t say I couldn’t use it as a surfactant,, so I took it that I could,, I poured about half of it (32oz) into my 25 gallon tank that was mixed with water and herbicide weed killer,,
Hindsight now,, says a little too much,, I turned on the mixer which circulates the liquids for a good blend,, Did you ever over fill a washing machine with too much detergent? The lid to the tank has a hole in it so when you use the liquid the air can get in,, so you don’t get a vacuum which causes problem of itself..
As I head to the pasture in my John Deere Gator and pulling my tank of week killer with its rooster tail of bulbs shooting out the vent hole.. I was glad I was along,, no one around to see this sight,, I am consider a pleasant guy and all round rancher,, this could throw a shadow on my standing in the local straight lace ranching communities,, I made it to the back pasture and turned off the recirculation valve which turned off the flow of bubbles and a picture in my mind of Lawrence Welk and the Lennon Sisters..
Open the spray wand valve.. I was ready to go,,
I was spraying some of the larger rose bushes and notice a nice shine to the leaves,, hey this stuff is working and it’s got to be cheaper than the good stuff,, So I took my time and spray about half mile of fence line before running out.. As I headed back to the barn for a refill and cold beer,, it started to cloud up.. **** just my luck,, no rain for a month now it’s going to rain,, not good when you’re spraying a herbicide. I made it back to the barn before the rain started and it did start and start and kept on starting till it was too late to spray anymore.. so I call it a day,,
On Tuesday I went out to check on the bushes I sprayed on Monday,, Again I will ask have you ever over filled a washing machine?,, there was still suds 24 hours later out in the pasture along the fence line,, I imagine it was pretty sight with the lightening flashing and the rain coming down and the shampoo rising,, not sure that the weed killer with do it’s intended job but there is one thing I feel I know for sure,, that I have the cleanest McCartney rose bushes in the county plus they are flea free.. Lou

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #2,174  
I still think ripping that stuff sounds like the most fun. I will laugh as I tear through the roots! Of course, either way, ripping or wicking, I have to buy some more equipment.

Thanks for the info, y'all!

And Lou; I'm sure your rose bushes were the cleanest anyone could find ANYWHERE! :D

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #2,175  
Starting to see that crap in my grazing pastures. Ohhhhh!

Seems to be all along I-10 from Houston to Columbus .

Rick

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #2,176  
Next Spring, we'll have "Rip the bluestem" dances, as well as naked rain dances!

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #2,177  
All good!

RICK

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #2,178  
Lou, you one funny rancher. Unblemished in my mind still. LOL!

Wonder if that stuff killed all the fleas on the coyotes and other varmints hanging in the bushes?

They probably felt so good, (not getting bit by fleas) that they howled all their cousins (primos in spanish) over for a spell.

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #2,179  
Next Spring, we'll have "Rip the bluestem" dances, as well as naked rain dances!

But FG, how do you rip the KR bluestem without ripping the native little bluestem. Won't it also rip the bermuda? Then again, ripping the bermuda might just stimulate it like a good aeration.:confused3:

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #2,180  
But FG, how do you rip the KR bluestem without ripping the native little bluestem. Won't it also rip the bermuda? Then again, ripping the bermuda might just stimulate it like a good aeration.:confused3:

Doesn't the rapid spread of KR Bluestem in a pasture also indicate that the soil is lacking in nutrients to properly support good grasses?