Texas Grapple Shootout

/ Texas Grapple Shootout #11  
Tom Sawyer's Fence....

It suddenly occurs to me that I am able to host a grapple contest at my place. I've got about an acre of brush and dead tree limbs I want cleaned up. Entrance fee is waived for first two competitors to register. :)

xtn

Jim- Nobody mentioned Tom Sawyer.......I'm just supplying a place for some good competition, but I do want you to be one of the Judges.

Charlie

/ Texas Grapple Shootout #12  
Don, Mike, and Ron, your grapple tests on grubbing up youpon are pretty specific. I'm thinking a complete test would be how easily you can pick up a log or felled tree with a stump. In most cases, you'll find yourself in the woods without a lot of maneuver room. Though both grapple types can grasp the center of the trunk, you may have serious problems moving the tree out of the woods because you are wider than most spacing between trees. By grabbing the end of the tree or stump end and dragging, you can maneuver through the woods to get to an open space. Of course, you can buck the tree into manageable lengths and get it out, but a bucket grapple can be slid under the tree's end and the jaws closed down to allow you to end skid the tree to a clear area. Clearly, the best grapple depends on the job. Buying for the 80% use is a wise decision.

Just the ramblings of an old man with no hair. . . who has no need for shampoo, a comb, or brush.:D

Or instead of dragging it, grab the root ball- like this and start driving... ELDER BERRY TREE REMOVAL 003.jpg Oops-. after breaking off the part that was about to jamb into the left front tire.
using this method i was able to remove it without cutting it into short pieces

/ Texas Grapple Shootout #13  
Don, Mike, and Ron, your grapple tests on grubbing up youpon are pretty specific. I'm thinking a complete test would be how easily you can pick up a log or felled tree with a stump. In most cases, you'll find yourself in the woods without a lot of maneuver room. Though both grapple types can grasp the center of the trunk, you may have serious problems moving the tree out of the woods because you are wider than most spacing between trees. By grabbing the end of the tree or stump end and dragging, you can maneuver through the woods to get to an open space. Of course, you can buck the tree into manageable lengths and get it out, but a bucket grapple can be slid under the tree's end and the jaws closed down to allow you to end skid the tree to a clear area. Clearly, the best grapple depends on the job. Buying for the 80% use is a wise decision.

Just the ramblings of an old man with no hair. . . who has no need for shampoo, a comb, or brush.:D
Sometimes you have to use a chain! :thumbsup:
P5060037.JPG P5060072.JPG P5060082.JPG

Here are two smaller ones grabbed at the end.
P3060021.JPG

/ Texas Grapple Shootout #14  
Evaluation:

Both grapples picked up and hauled the Yaupon effectively. It was a little easier to push the rake grapple without having to adjust for depth corrections and angles. The spaded ends of the bucket grapple did pick up more sand while the large spacing of the rake grapple missed some roots and required a second pass sometimes. The rake grapple with its wider opening did move a large pile of Yaupon easier with one large bite.

I will be looking mostly at a rake style grapple with tines spaced just a bit closer together and maybe a bit longer.
Thanks Mikim for providing the tractors and the grapples. It was a very enjoyable and educational day. Nothing is better than getting together with friends and tractors.

Nice job guys! Wish I was close I would like a go at them there Texas bushes!

/ Texas Grapple Shootout #15  
I like this Tom Sawyer's Fence scheme. Probably not too hard to get participants? I can imagine other possible shootouts: plow this field; JD vs. Kubota round bale barn-loading; FEL round trip stopwatch, etc. Good idea, and early adopters can get a lot done!
Jim

:D :laughing: That made me laugh. Come to think of it, I have about 30 acres of cedars that would be a good shootout venue for knocking down, digging up and hauling off cedars.

/ Texas Grapple Shootout #16  
Evaluation:

Both grapples picked up and hauled the Yaupon effectively. It was a little easier to push the rake grapple without having to adjust for depth corrections and angles. The spaded ends of the bucket grapple did pick up more sand while the large spacing of the rake grapple missed some roots and required a second pass sometimes. The rake grapple with its wider opening did move a large pile of Yaupon easier with one large bite.

I will be looking mostly at a rake style grapple with tines spaced just a bit closer together and maybe a bit longer.
Thanks Mikim for providing the tractors and the grapples. It was a very enjoyable and educational day. Nothing is better than getting together with friends and tractors.

Don,
Definitely get closer spacing on the tines. My bucket tine spacing is 9 inches and that is too wide. Good job Y'all!
hugs, Brandi

/ Texas Grapple Shootout #17  
I been looking at getting a grapple,just haven't found the one that i would like the best. So this helps,do it in spring and invite the rest of us next time:laughing:

/ Texas Grapple Shootout
I been looking at getting a grapple,just haven't found the one that i would like the best. So this helps,do it in spring and invite the rest of us next time:laughing:

Yep, I'm in the same boat. This one seems to have a lot of good qualities and is getting closest, a bit heavy, what are your thoughts?
Faver SCX 627
Home

/ Texas Grapple Shootout #19  
Yep, I'm in the same boat. This one seems to have a lot of good qualities and is getting closest, a bit heavy, what are your thoughts?
Faver SCX 627
Home

TXdon
took a look at the Faver SCX grapple that you posted , i see why you are considering it- because
it has tandem lids
it has a flat bottom so it can be loaded (or even hand loaded)
It has grubbing ability
It has a good wide opening
It has protection for the hydraulic cylinders

AND my favorite- no cross brace at the front of the tines- allowing it to penetrate thru slash piles, garbage or even barn stall floors that need cleaned out without (pushing) the material you are trying to pick up.

I think that design is a winner but this is JMO Looking forward to others thoughts on this grapple...

/ Texas Grapple Shootout #20  
TXdon
took a look at the Faver SCX grapple that you posted , i see why you are considering it- because
it has tandem lids
it has a flat bottom so it can be loaded (or even hand loaded)
It has grubbing ability
It has a good wide opening
It has protection for the hydraulic cylinders

AND my favorite- no cross brace at the front of the tines- allowing it to penetrate thru slash piles, garbage or even barn stall floors that need cleaned out without (pushing) the material you are trying to pick up.

I think that design is a winner but this is JMO Looking forward to others thoughts on this grapple...

I also think the Faver design is nice. The lack of cross brace tube reminds me of my Wildkat Deep Penetration grapple. You can use the tips more effectively to penetrate into tree limbs, etc. when picking things up. Faver uses a high quality steel that allows them that long of a lower tine without as much danger of bending the tines which I think is the real reason mild steel grapples have the cross tube out front. I like their narrow 31" model. The upper tines cross over the lower tines in the attached image, making for a very small 12.5" holding area compared to most L bottom grapples.

Attachments

• image-3750444035.jpg
    image-3750444035.jpg
    349.8 KB · Views: 298
  • image-57006470.jpg
    image-57006470.jpg
    381.6 KB · Views: 336