Texas Grapple Shootout

/ Texas Grapple Shootout #1  

txdon

Super Star Member
Tractor
JD 3032E
I'm trying to figure out which type of grapple will best fit my needs.
To the rescue Mikim from central Texas and Ronjhall, from Michigan get together for a "Test the grapples day":

Bucket style grapple Vs. Rake style grapple

The Bucket style grapple is on the left and the rake style grapple in on the right below.

Attachments

• grappleshootout2.jpg
    grappleshootout2.jpg
    352.7 KB · Views: 1,467
   / Texas Grapple Shootout
First lets look at the grapples.
The bucket has tines that have an 8.5" space in-between while the rake's is 13.5"
The rake also will open about 1.5' wider than the bucket.
Both are the same width of about 60"

You can tell the bucket bottom is flat and the rake is curved.

The tines on the this particular bucket grapple have a spade shape while the rake is more pointed.

Attachments

• 8.jpg
    8.jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 688
  • 13.jpg
    13.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 592
  • grapple opening.jpg
    grapple opening.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 667
   / Texas Grapple Shootout
The brush that the test was run on was A common brush here in central Texas called Yaupon Holly. This particular field had it's cedar trees harvested and the Yaupon thrived. The object was to see which grapple was most effective in removing the shallow rooted Yaupon and stacking it on a pile to be burned later.
There were 3 cameras going as we took turns on each tractor. (Ron and Mike please post your pics or comments anytime.)

Attachments

• yaupon holly.jpg
    yaupon holly.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 1,020
   / Texas Grapple Shootout
A few pics of removing Yaupon.

Attachments

• grapple4.jpg
    grapple4.jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 962
  • grapple3.jpg
    grapple3.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 946
   / Texas Grapple Shootout
Evaluation:

Both grapples picked up and hauled the Yaupon effectively. It was a little easier to push the rake grapple without having to adjust for depth corrections and angles. The spaded ends of the bucket grapple did pick up more sand while the large spacing of the rake grapple missed some roots and required a second pass sometimes. The rake grapple with its wider opening did move a large pile of Yaupon easier with one large bite.

I will be looking mostly at a rake style grapple with tines spaced just a bit closer together and maybe a bit longer.
Thanks Mikim for providing the tractors and the grapples. It was a very enjoyable and educational day. Nothing is better than getting together with friends and tractors.

/ Texas Grapple Shootout #6  
DSCN0045.jpgDSCN0063.jpgI certainly enjoyed it -- and the shiner on the porch after was good too , thank you don. Here's a shot of the brush we were after and do you think Ron looks like he was having a good time?

/ Texas Grapple Shootout #7  
You guys are not helping my "Grapple Envy" one little bit, but the next time you want to have Shootout I have a great test track for you to show your expertise. Beverages and BBQ provided.

Charlie

/ Texas Grapple Shootout #8  
I like this Tom Sawyer's Fence scheme. Probably not too hard to get participants? I can imagine other possible shootouts: plow this field; JD vs. Kubota round bale barn-loading; FEL round trip stopwatch, etc. Good idea, and early adopters can get a lot done!
Jim

/ Texas Grapple Shootout #9  
Tom Sawyer's Fence....

It suddenly occurs to me that I am able to host a grapple contest at my place. I've got about an acre of brush and dead tree limbs I want cleaned up. Entrance fee is waived for first two competitors to register. :)

xtn

/ Texas Grapple Shootout #10  
Don, Mike, and Ron, your grapple tests on grubbing up youpon are pretty specific. I'm thinking a complete test would be how easily you can pick up a log or felled tree with a stump. In most cases, you'll find yourself in the woods without a lot of maneuver room. Though both grapple types can grasp the center of the trunk, you may have serious problems moving the tree out of the woods because you are wider than most spacing between trees. By grabbing the end of the tree or stump end and dragging, you can maneuver through the woods to get to an open space. Of course, you can buck the tree into manageable lengths and get it out, but a bucket grapple can be slid under the tree's end and the jaws closed down to allow you to end skid the tree to a clear area. Clearly, the best grapple depends on the job. Buying for the 80% use is a wise decision.

Just the ramblings of an old man with no hair. . . who has no need for shampoo, a comb, or brush.:D