The nice feeling of not buy Chinese tools.

/ The nice feeling of not buy Chinese tools. #31  
That’s true, but you might be missing the bigger picture.
Yes, everything made in China IS cheaper and everyone wants everything cheap because inflation is crushing the middle class.
However, I think what many desire (including myself) is for the USA to go back to making more things here again for jobs, national security, and having a bloodline of citizens still able to craft tools and machinery moving into the future.

We cant have an underclass working for Amazon and WalMart and an upper class alone.
I agree in principle, but unfortunately that bus left the station a long time ago. We Americans priced ourselves out of the market for most manufacturing.

/ The nice feeling of not buy Chinese tools. #32  
I agree in principle, but unfortunately that bus left the station a long time ago. We Americans priced ourselves out of the market for most manufacturing.
The US middle class is now doing technology related jobs, professional careers, or skilled trades.

/ The nice feeling of not buy Chinese tools. #33  
Back to the Bosch tool quality question. I have a number of Bosch tools, corded and cordless. I have been very happy with the quality of them.
But recently I had to replace a 1.5 hp plunge router, a Porter Cable that I have owned for at least 30 years (another made in America brand that isn't anymore).
I acquired a Bosch router to replace it, I soon found that I was unable to center the base plate so it would not work with template guides.
I returned it and bought a different highly rated brand, about the same price and came with template guides and centering tool which were not included with the Bosch.
First Bosch tool that I have been disappointed in.

/ The nice feeling of not buy Chinese tools. #34  
But recently I had to replace a 1.5 hp plunge router, a Porter Cable that I have owned for at least 30 years (another made in America brand that isn't anymore).
I acquired a Bosch router to replace it, I soon found that I was unable to center the base plate so it would not work with template guides.
I returned it and bought a different highly rated brand, about the same price and came with template guides and centering tool which were not included with the Bosch.
Curiously, what brand did you end up getting? I'm considering getting a plunge router myself.

/ The nice feeling of not buy Chinese tools. #35  
The US middle class is now doing technology related jobs, professional careers, or skilled trades.
But those tech jobs require a specialized education/background, unlike the old manufacturing jobs where you could learn on the job and make decent money. Not everyone's cut out for 4+ years of college.
Dunno about where you are, but trades people are in short supply here, and a lot of them are boomers/older Gen X who'll be retiring over the next 10 years.

/ The nice feeling of not buy Chinese tools. #36  
But those tech jobs require a specialized education/background, unlike the old manufacturing jobs where you could learn on the job and make decent money. Not everyone's cut out for 4+ years of college.
Dunno about where you are, but trades people are in short supply here, and a lot of them are boomers/older Gen X who'll be retiring over the next 10 years.
I mentioned skilled trades, but today even those have community college certificates. Not all technology jobs require degrees. Intel has some large chip manufacturing facilities in my area, and there are lots of job opportunities there that don’t require degrees. And there are lots of solar installation and maintenance jobs in my area also.

Last edited:
   / The nice feeling of not buy Chinese tools. #37  
Which is the never ending mistake of “putting all your eggs in one basket”
If covid taught us nothing, its that we need to be able to build our own needs here.
But we won‘t and will continue to suffer shortages or worse, be in a situation where we need something we used to produce and an unfriendly supplying nation wont let us have.

/ The nice feeling of not buy Chinese tools. #38  
I mentioned skilled trades, but today even those have community college certificates.
Which is the never ending mistake of “putting all your eggs in one basket”
If covid taught us nothing, its that we need to be able to build our own needs here.
But we won‘t and will continue to suffer shortages or worse, be in a situation where we need something we used to produce and an unfriendly supplying nation wont let us have.
I agree with you on this, but I’m skeptical that manufacturing will return to the US for low value consumer goods, and what does occur will be highly automated to avoid high labor costs.

/ The nice feeling of not buy Chinese tools. #39  
I agree with you on this, but I’m skeptical that manufacturing will return to the US for low value consumer goods, and what does occur will be highly automated to avoid high labor costs.
Low value?
Try everything.

/ The nice feeling of not buy Chinese tools. #40  
Low value?
Try everything.
We still manufacture aircraft, automobiles, caterpillar equipment, steel panels, computer chips, and many other high value products.