The right tractor for towing/forestry work

/ The right tractor for towing/forestry work #31  
Sure the telehandler can pull it self out sometimes but on the other hand the tractor would've just kept going.
Not in the silt, just stuck in deep mud. MF240D 4 wheel drive:
Stuck.JPG

The neighbor's dozer stuck in the silt around our pond:
P6212184.JPG

P6212186.JPG

Last edited:
   / The right tractor for towing/forestry work #32  
^^^^ Your telehandler would be just as useless as that tractor if it also didn’t have the loader.

/ The right tractor for towing/forestry work #33  
   / The right tractor for towing/forestry work #34  
^^^^ Your telehandler would be just as useless as that tractor if it also didn’t have the loader.
If it didn't have the loader boom, it would not be a Compact Telehandler.

/ The right tractor for towing/forestry work #35  
If you hooked a 7 ton trailer to that dozer and your telhandler and tried pulling them through more reasonable conditions the dozer would win by a mile.
What is the top speed of the dozer in reasonable conditions?

The top speed of the V417 in reasonable conditions is 15 mph.

/ The right tractor for towing/forestry work #36  
So much good info here and great advice, my experience is pale incomparison…. I tow this dump trailer down the highway…. 6x10, with a cord of wood in it. I like all 70hp to keep it going max speed on the road for the hills. I’ve wanted to add an electric brake controller and use it manually as like mentioned, that weight will push that tractor around especially with the roads are slippery!! (I almost lost it on an icy road… no more icy roads!)
Skid plates will be a great investment, one stick being shoved up into the bottom will rip lines and bend linkages, even those sticks you don’t see! I use forks/grapple to move 8’ logs around and usually put weight on the 3pt hitch for ballast (cast rear rims and wheel weights but it’s not really enough)
Another thing that would help in the woods would be a tractor with a ‘ground speed PTO’ with a ‘powered’ trailer. Some cool homemade ones out there from old bus frames/drivetrain etc.

Attachments

• DF48AFB5-85D8-4578-AC34-316D6AECC6EA.jpeg
    DF48AFB5-85D8-4578-AC34-316D6AECC6EA.jpeg
    920.9 KB · Views: 67
  • A7BE1F06-986F-47F9-B50A-1B02188A39AE.jpeg
    A7BE1F06-986F-47F9-B50A-1B02188A39AE.jpeg
    838.1 KB · Views: 68
   / The right tractor for towing/forestry work #37  
The bulldozer would be just as useless if it didn't have tracks. 😂

If a frog had wings it wouldn't keep bumping it's ass on the ground.

/ The right tractor for towing/forestry work #38  
The bulldozer would be just as useless if it didn't have tracks. 😂

If a frog had wings it wouldn't keep bumping it's ass on the ground.
He was comparing a tractor without a loader, to his telehandler which has one to pull it out. It has nothing to do with the bulldozer; rather, he was comparing apples to oranges.

My tractor does have a loader; I have never gotten it into anything I can't get it out of.

/ The right tractor for towing/forestry work #39  
What is the top speed of the dozer in reasonable conditions?

The top speed of the V417 in reasonable conditions is 15 mph.

Faster than you might think but a race wasn’t the contest. Pulling the trailer up hill in the mud and then back down controllably the dozer is by far the best tool.

/ The right tractor for towing/forestry work #40  
Guys….I think the objective here is to not get stuck in the first place. A metal track bulldozer is unmatched. Well, maybe a dual quad articulating tractor could come close. They work nice with a pull pan, but the OP wants something under 100HP, not 500HP