Thinkin about..

/ Thinkin about.. #11  
A new saw. Current saw is a Stihl MS271 Farm Boss. I like Echo for the 5 year warranty, which saw in their lineup would be a better (power, faster) saw than my Stihl? There's really nothing wrong with my Stihl, just looking for some more power but not looking for a huge saw. All I'm cutting is firewood. I take down occasional trees if they aren't huge and are in an open area where they won't get hung up. Thanks for the help!
Stihl 261-C is what I bought to take over the top spot from my Farm Boss. Sticker was up to $699 but they charged me $630, 'sale price'.

Still love the Farm Boss but just wanted a little more power and a little less weight. This 261 is touted as a entry level 'Pro' saw. It was hard to find one on the shelf.

/ Thinkin about..
Stihl 261-C is what I bought to take over the top spot from my Farm Boss. Sticker was up to $699 but they charged me $630, 'sale price'.

Still love the Farm Boss but just wanted a little more power and a little less weight. This 261 is touted as a entry level 'Pro' saw. It was hard to find one on the shelf.
I seriously considered a 261 when I got the Farm Boss and kick myself for not getting one.

/ Thinkin about.. #13  
I run a 261C at work. Its not a strong felling saw.

/ Thinkin about.. #14  
I really like my big Makita 6401. Screams and cuts like a sumbiatch. Has amazing sound.

View attachment 779252
I always felt like those Makita/Dolmar saws were good because saw so many at rental centers, HD mainly. I rented a Makita cut off saw once and was very pleased with it. But when it came time to buy one I wound up with a Stihl 420 because local dealer.
Never ran across any Makita/Dolmar dealers or any store carrying them as a main line.

/ Thinkin about.. #15  
I run a 261C at work. Its not a strong felling saw.
The Farm Boss has been 'good enough' for what I have needed felling and cutting. I like the 261C for the couple extras you get, Comp release, less weight, little more power, etc but I can see how if you were working professionally you would want more.

/ Thinkin about.. #16  
Very good saw, but approaching $1,000 now, but it would blow away a MS271 Farm Boss. It’s like 5.4HP buy runs around 10,000RPM
The Makita (Dolmar) 6100 is much more reasonable priced at $650, but like 4.6HP but screams about 13,500 RPM.
The Makita is a great saw. I have a couple of echo's one is a 590, I like it fine, but, home owner saws are weaker and heavier than pro grade. If you don't run it much, the 590 runs a 20" chain fine in hardwood, and I would recommend it. If you cut many cords a year, or fell larger trees the pro grade saws are worth the difference in money.

Best,

ed

/ Thinkin about.. #17  
I needed to fill the 60cc "hole" in between my 50cc & 70cc 044 stihl. I got the cs620 Echo and even the diehard Stihl and Husky boys really have a hard time finding anything wrong with these. It's an 'X' series and that's more of a commercial saw with comp. release, aluminum loop handle and chain cover, adjustable bar oiler and reportedly it's a ported & tuned 590. Great firewood saw and $630 out the door not on sale.
There's a bunch of saw builders (hot rodders) on YouTube comparing it with both of the other orange saws.

/ Thinkin about.. #18  
Have you checked out battery powered chain saws? I use a 6” for trimming, 12” for falling/bucking 10” and under wood and a 18” for larger trees/logs. They work fine for falling and cutting personal firewood, little land clearing and helping friends out. I also have two gas power chainsaws that I haven’t used in 3-4 years. My favorite saw that I got about a month age is the 56v EGO. Battery saws work as good as the equivalent gas saw, plus they are quieter and a lot less hassle.

/ Thinkin about.. #19  
I have an Echo 590 Timberwolf and really like it, the power is adequate, I like the feel and balance of the saw.

/ Thinkin about.. #20  
Just replaced my Husky 562XP with the Echo 620. Lost the bearings in the 6 yr old Husky, not sure why. Have only run one tank of gas through the Echo, but seems to have the power I was use to, controls set up logically, like the sprocket outside the clutch, see thru gas tank. It does have a lot of plastic, but so does everything else. Time will tell about how it lasts, but it was also $599 instead of $900+ for the comparable size Stihl or Husky. The 5 year warranty and a good dealer also helped.