Thinking of making my backhoe attachment towable and usable OFF the tractor!

/ Thinking of making my backhoe attachment towable and usable OFF the tractor! #1  

boostmg

Silver Member
Tractor
Branson 3620 TLB Hydro
Hey friends I have encountered a situation where i could use a "towable" backhoe. We all know the HF Trenchers and there are other models. The issue for me is that i am not sold on their durability and they are quite pricey! Around $5k if i wanted a "good" one which is subjective.

Anyway I have a backhoe already for my branson, and it has a subframe.

It looks like this
283319992_4825251380918291_8759162127809944094_n.jpg

I've been thinking pretty creatively and researching tons. Any amount less than 5k i spend would be a win for me. Also being able to use my own hoe a real hoe would be a win.

What I am thinking is basically a system that would allow me to make my backhoe attachment mobile and usable.

So from what i reckon i would need:
- wheels
- engine
- hydraulic reservoir & filter
- hydro hoses
- hydro pump
- gas tank

I'm not a welder but could get access to someone who can if needed. But what i'm thinking is that i could put wheels up front as close as possible to where the hoe is located, use an engine, reservoir, pump, filter, and hitch from a log splitter.

What i'm unsure about is if the log splitter engine and pump would be enough to power the hoe. I suppose i could "test" it before doing anything.

I thought of the log splitter engine b/c it already powers hydraulics .. if i needed to get like a standalone engine like a predator or something off a lawn mower i am unsure of how i would attach a hydro pump to it.

My goals here are to take the least amount of steps possible and be as economical as possible and also eliminate the need for any super customized parts.

Would love to hear your thoughts and opinions!

/ Thinking of making my backhoe attachment towable and usable OFF the tractor! #2  
OOh! I get to be the first to ask the obvious question!

...Why not just use your Branson to power it?

I assume you want to be able to hook up to it like a trailer to haul it down the road vs loading your tractor onto a trailer? If so, you would probably want a trailer axle and coupler for a start. Then look for a pump with the same pressure and at least as much flow as what your tractor has to power it. I have no idea if a splitter would accomplish that. If so that should be pretty straight forward and a good day's work start to finish for both.

/ Thinking of making my backhoe attachment towable and usable OFF the tractor! #3  
To me the obvious solution is to make your tractor towable with the hoe attached. Buy a trailer. In addition to the pump, wheels, etc. you'd need enough weight to hold the hoe in place when using it. Your tractor could do that.

/ Thinking of making my backhoe attachment towable and usable OFF the tractor! #4  
I have a northern tool towable one and am constantly figuring on doing the opposite. making it three point attachable. I upsized the engine and pump from 5hp and 1.5 gpm to 9hp and 3 gpm. I bought it for $250 and spent about another $500 getting new engine and pump. Original engine was locked up. It just does not have the mass needed for anything but trench digging without any roots of size. For any major digging I hitch it to my 25hp tractor with box blade. I carry loppers and a cordless Reciprocating saw with a long pruning blade for roots. I mostly move mine around any distance by putting the bh bucket in the front end loader bucket and towing it .
your backhoe mounted on its long frame would probably give you enough stability. Making the engine, pump and axle a bolt on skid type unit would leave it able to still be used with your tractor.

/ Thinking of making my backhoe attachment towable and usable OFF the tractor! #5  
OOh! I get to be the first to ask the obvious question!

...Why not just use your Branson to power it?
You took my thought right out of my head. Buy a trailer for moving tractor plus a 1k other things.

/ Thinking of making my backhoe attachment towable and usable OFF the tractor!
You took my thought right out of my head. Buy a trailer for moving tractor plus a 1k other things.
Bc i need to take it in terrain. A tractor can’t go to. This is an alternative to a towable backhoe

/ Thinking of making my backhoe attachment towable and usable OFF the tractor! #7  
Well I did it the hard way and built the entire thing (except the bucket) but it was nice simply being able to attach to my truck and go.

The first issue I see is you will need lots of counterweight since the outriggers are at a 90 degree point to the bucket instead of 45 degrees similar to most towable units but... if it remains attached to the vehicle that will help. Mine was able to dig attached or unattached. You will need a platform for engine, tank, counterweight, etc.... the wheels are removable and can be placed on the back towards the rear outriggers so you can pull yourself around with the bucket.

Attachments

• IMG_20180616_175911009_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20180616_175911009_HDR.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 260
Last edited:
   / Thinking of making my backhoe attachment towable and usable OFF the tractor! #8  
It must be rough sitting on those 2 springs. :LOL:

/ Thinking of making my backhoe attachment towable and usable OFF the tractor! #9  
Bc i need to take it in terrain. A tractor can’t go to. This is an alternative to a towable backhoe
I understand. I didn't realize you had a vehicle capable of towing in places where tractors can't drive.

/ Thinking of making my backhoe attachment towable and usable OFF the tractor! #10  
I'd make up a new "sub frame" trailer with the same quick connects so that it could still be used with your Branson. Like others have said, counter weight is needed! Could be concrete, steel or whatever your have. I'd do it in a heart beat!