Thinking of making my backhoe attachment towable and usable OFF the tractor!

/ Thinking of making my backhoe attachment towable and usable OFF the tractor! #21  
Well I did it the hard way and built the entire thing (except the bucket) but it was nice simply being able to attach to my truck and go.

The first issue I see is you will need lots of counterweight since the outriggers are at a 90 degree point to the bucket instead of 45 degrees similar to most towable units but... if it remains attached to the vehicle that will help. Mine was able to dig attached or unattached. You will need a platform for engine, tank, counterweight, etc.... the wheels are removable and can be placed on the back towards the rear outriggers so you can pull yourself around with the bucket.
bdw9862,

Very impressed with your work. Don't often see someone who has the skills, tools, and time to design and build their own machine. Impressive.

Have you found any weak links in your build and what were they?

You are probably the most capable person to help boostmg determine whether he should pursue building his tow behind backhoe.
I am sure he would like a rough cost to put together the components, the time to select, acquire, and build what he is interested in doing.
Boostmg has not said what he is going to tow his finished project but has indicated the existing tractor can not operate in the desired terrain. I am curious what boostmg would use to tow the finished project and is it capable of towing the weight the finished project probably will weigh. Do you know what your rig weighs?

/ Thinking of making my backhoe attachment towable and usable OFF the tractor!
bdw9862,

Very impressed with your work. Don't often see someone who has the skills, tools, and time to design and build their own machine. Impressive.

Have you found any weak links in your build and what were they?

You are probably the most capable person to help boostmg determine whether he should pursue building his tow behind backhoe.
I am sure he would like a rough cost to put together the components, the time to select, acquire, and build what he is interested in doing.
Boostmg has not said what he is going to tow his finished project but has indicated the existing tractor can not operate in the desired terrain. I am curious what boostmg would use to tow the finished project and is it capable of towing the weight the finished project probably will weigh. Do you know what your rig weighs?
I'd tow with my ATV

Also FWIW i am currently thinking this design is nice b/c it doesn't have to be attached to a vehicle and can move itself around

$_57.JPG

/ Thinking of making my backhoe attachment towable and usable OFF the tractor! #23  
I'd tow with my ATV

Also FWIW i am currently thinking this design is nice b/c it doesn't have to be attached to a vehicle and can move itself around

$_57.JPG
boostmg,

I did a little digging to better understand the scope of what you are considering.
Based upon the Branson website, the backhoe option is a BH250 and another web site lists the BH250 weight at 1,300 Lbs.
So starting with 1,300 Lbs and adding hydraulic storage tank, hydraulic pump, counter balance weight and incidentals, I expect you will have added at least another 500 pounds minimum. Do you really expect to tow 1,800 Lb across soft ground and or up grades with an ATV.

A quick google of ATV weights finds Ultility ATV are the heavier machines and come in around 1,000 Lbs.

My humble opinion is this is unobtanium.

/ Thinking of making my backhoe attachment towable and usable OFF the tractor!
boostmg,

I did a little digging to better understand the scope of what you are considering.
Based upon the Branson website, the backhoe option is a BH250 and another web site lists the BH250 weight at 1,300 Lbs.
So starting with 1,300 Lbs and adding hydraulic storage tank, hydraulic pump, counter balance weight and incidentals, I expect you will have added at least another 500 pounds minimum. Do you really expect to tow 1,800 Lb across soft ground and or up grades with an ATV.

A quick google of ATV weights finds Ultility ATV are the heavier machines and come in around 1,000 Lbs.

My humble opinion is this is unobtanium.

Yep it’s a great point. I think the weight of my backhoe is why I’m going to steer clear of this method.

If i had a sub compact hoe i think it would be better.

I think i may go w the dedicated manufactured towable that i posted

/ Thinking of making my backhoe attachment towable and usable OFF the tractor! #25  
Yep it’s a great point. I think the weight of my backhoe is why I’m going to steer clear of this method.

If i had a sub compact hoe i think it would be better.

I think i may go w the dedicated manufactured towable that i posted
boostmg,

I poked around and found your related threads:

Anyone ever drove over plywood on soft grass or mud w their tractor?
Drying up field ... does subsoiling really work?

I suspect your solutions are:
Choose a season when their is less water being moved onto your property and then do the drainage work or
Wait until the first really hard frost or slightly later when the ground has firmed up but before the real freeze sets in and ground becomes undiggable for your tractor size or
Rent a small excavator in the 2-4,000 Lb range so your ground pressure per square inch is really low and much lower than any tractor ever will be. The Kubota K008 is good starting point at 2,300 Lbs.
You might consider a Kobelco walk behind excavator.
See what your local rental yard has to offer.

Kobelco on youtube

Hope this helps

/ Thinking of making my backhoe attachment towable and usable OFF the tractor! #26  
Interesting thread. I have a sub-compact TLB and the forces at work during operation need both the ballast and resistance that the 2000 lb tractor adds to the backhoe (900 lb) to get the job done. I wouldn't think a DIY rig would be very effective nor safe in any real digging operation. And yes, to really do any work with this BH, the majority of the available 20 HP are in use and many times the hoe is dragging the whole stabilized unit around while digging. I personally wouldn't want to mess with the engineering keeping that work as safe as possible.

/ Thinking of making my backhoe attachment towable and usable OFF the tractor! #27  
OOh! I get to be the first to ask the obvious question!

...Why not just use your Branson to power it?

I assume you want to be able to hook up to it like a trailer to haul it down the road vs loading your tractor onto a trailer? If so, you would probably want a trailer axle and coupler for a start. Then look for a pump with the same pressure and at least as much flow as what your tractor has to power it. I have no idea if a splitter would accomplish that. If so that should be pretty straight forward and a good day's work start to finish for both.
Some ideas are best kept in the place where they originated (between the ears).

/ Thinking of making my backhoe attachment towable and usable OFF the tractor! #28  
There is far too much knocking of what I think is a credible idea. I had an old backhoe attachment given to me a few weeks ago. It's decent enough for the price and I was wondering the same as the op. I don't have a tractor big enough to install the backhoe onto but sure am entertaining the idea of installing it on it's own trailer. The neighbor says I can install it on his JD 4000 and that is probably what's going to happen as him and I get along really well but I'd like to explore other ideas first.

/ Thinking of making my backhoe attachment towable and usable OFF the tractor! #29  
Some ideas are best kept in the place where they originated (between the ears).
Have you heard of "ground protection mats " ? 4 or 6 of those, depending on the wheelbase of your tractor you could go in soff ground you just have keep moving them as you go. Or get enough to make a path.

/ Thinking of making my backhoe attachment towable and usable OFF the tractor! #30  
Hey friends I have encountered a situation where i could use a "towable" backhoe. We all know the HF Trenchers and there are other models. The issue for me is that i am not sold on their durability and they are quite pricey! Around $5k if i wanted a "good" one which is subjective.

Anyway I have a backhoe already for my branson, and it has a subframe.

It looks like this
283319992_4825251380918291_8759162127809944094_n.jpg

I've been thinking pretty creatively and researching tons. Any amount less than 5k i spend would be a win for me. Also being able to use my own hoe a real hoe would be a win.

What I am thinking is basically a system that would allow me to make my backhoe attachment mobile and usable.

So from what i reckon i would need:
- wheels
- engine
- hydraulic reservoir & filter
- hydro hoses
- hydro pump
- gas tank

I'm not a welder but could get access to someone who can if needed. But what i'm thinking is that i could put wheels up front as close as possible to where the hoe is located, use an engine, reservoir, pump, filter, and hitch from a log splitter.

What i'm unsure about is if the log splitter engine and pump would be enough to power the hoe. I suppose i could "test" it before doing anything.

I thought of the log splitter engine b/c it already powers hydraulics .. if i needed to get like a standalone engine like a predator or something off a lawn mower i am unsure of how i would attach a hydro pump to it.

My goals here are to take the least amount of steps possible and be as economical as possible and also eliminate the need for any super customized parts.

Would love to hear your thoughts and opinions!
I have never used a tow hoe but own a IHI 15 NX excavator and it weights 4000 lbs and sometime it is too light. I would guess you will put the bucket on the ground and lift the hoe