This could be a long night

/ This could be a long night #1  

Jstpssng

Epic Contributor
Tractor
Kubota L3301
I was out in my greenhouse tonight for the first time in a while and found a book which somehow got left there before I read it. (Nowhere to Run, by CJ Box)
It's been a couple of months since I picked up a good book, and tonight I'm enjoying myself.

The biggest thing I miss about recent events is that my favorite bookstore remains closed... it's a big building in Houlton Maine with used and new books on nearly every topic.
Anytime I went in there I made sure that I only carried $20... like Lays potato chips I could never pick up just one.

/ This could be a long night #2  
Looks interesting - and yes we used to get books weekly from the local library too - nothing like a paper book!

The author CJ Box seems to have a character(s) continues in a series. If you like books like this I would suggest Louise Penny - Inspector Gamache series from the eastern townships of Quebec - she is a great author.

Then others like, Greg Iles, Nanchez Burning, and MS series, Daniel Silva spy series books are good reads too.

/ This could be a long night #3  
I have pretty much read all the CJ Box books with Joe Pickett. They are all good. If you like it, read the entire series.

/ This could be a long night #4  
I'm an avid reader. Usually demolish 2 to 4 books a week. I finally got myself a tablet. And for $10 a month, I signed up for kindle unlimited.

I still have a few authors where I actually purchase the book. But most of the time I just wait for it to hit the unlimited side and get it for the flat fee.

A coworker gets Ebooks from the local library as well as audio books for a few bucks a month in membership.

/ This could be a long night
This was the third book which I've read by him... one of which is the next in the series. I'm not sure why it ended up where it was, or how long ago I left it there; but I took to it like a reformed alcoholic falling off the wagon. I sat in my truck reading until dark then came home... did a couple of things around the house, started this thread and finished the book at about 12:50 this AM.
Somehow reading electronically just isn't the same. However I should probably get used to it, the price of paperbacks keeps gong up and up and then I end up with boxes and boxes of books.
I've thought about starting a mini library... take one, leave one. I certainly have enough small buildings around to do it with.

/ This could be a long night #6  
Last book I read was either The Choirboys or The Onion Field just after it had come out.

/ This could be a long night #7  
I can not get used to the e books either and I have tried.

/ This could be a long night #8  
Somehow reading electronically just isn't the same. However I should probably get used to it, the price of paperbacks keeps gong up and up and then I end up with boxes and boxes of books.

Yeah, add me to the list of readers that never warmed up to e-books. The nice thing about books is that you don't need any technology to enjoy them!

I almost never buy new though...our town transfer station has an area where people can leave "good stuff" for others to scavenge...I've gotten a lot of books there (and returned them when I was done). Flea markets (though not many this year :thumbsdown:) are another good source, lots of good paperbacks for 50¢. I wish we had a good used bookstore.

/ This could be a long night #9  
For whatever reason, E-books work great for me. We have quite a selection available free from our library (both e-books and audiobooks). I read and listen to them on my phone. I read about one book a week and listen to about one a week. When I'm working outside or in the shop, I often have my bluetooth head phones on.

I enjoy C. J. Box also.

/ This could be a long night #10  
As you get older, a big advantage of e-books is that you can enlarge the display print size and that makes reading easier.

My problem though is that I too easily fall asleep when reading and dropping a tablet is a lot more expensive than dropping a paperback!