This has to be a record !!!

/ This has to be a record !!! #11  
Yep. The high end models break and turn into junk just as quickly as the entry level units so don't waste your money on all the wifi bullcrap.

/ This has to be a record !!! #12  
During my rant, l just learned that my 94 yr old uncle has a wedding gift that is still working. It’s a 72 yr old Sears & Roebuck Coldspot freezer that is still cranking out the cold temps. Can you believe it??? I’ve enclosed the ser & model #’s so you can look up the dates. It’s been plugged in the whole time, minus 3 move times…what a beast !!!
I have one (Coldspot) that's the same vintage. Only mine is a chest freezer. Never had a problem with it. Of course it's not "frost free" so every two years or so I shut it down and let all the ice on the walls melt off.

/ This has to be a record !!! #13  
Sadly the better products on the market today are made by Samsung or LG out of Korea, but there is all the pricing....
Both junk.

Friends of ours get a new Samsung TV as soon as the warranty runs out then they give us the old one. They told us Samsung is the best. Usually lasts us 2-4 years. I took the last one to the dump, the Electronics dumpster was full of nothing but Samsungs.

Nice that they save us money. I don't watch TV. Just wife and company. As far as I'm concerned all TVs belong in the dumpster or 300 yards away and in the cross hairs.

/ This has to be a record !!! #14  
I stopped buying Whirlpool and the Whirlpool owned Maytags 12 years ago. They were breaking down far too often. I still have a Maytag dryer going on 27 years. Used it twice a week for 27 years. Bought a replacement Maytag dryer, and was shocked at build quality. Inferior parts, inferior design, thinner metal all around. Looks like an accounted forced the engineers to take shortcuts. I only buy Samsung and LG units now.

/ This has to be a record !!! #15  
The freezer downstairs was in the house when we bought it. That was more than 35 years ago.
It's chuck a block full of garden harvest veggies, small fruits and the like, as usual.

The badge on the door reads WESTINGHOUSE FREEZER. I cleaned the door gasket once, I just looked, It needs cleaning again.

Maybe I should be looking for an "Energy Star" model. The gaskets likely don't get dirty every 15 years ;-)

/ This has to be a record !!! #16  
Unfortunately refrigerators are not built to the same quality standards that they used to be built to. Refrigerators are a bit of a special case when it comes to things mechanical. The compressor resides in a closed environment that is custom made for the compressor. Designed and built correctly the compressor should be able to operate for at least 100 years. This is because all the moving parts are constantly properly lubricated and the environment keeps corrosive gases out. The moving parts experience virtually zero contact with any other parts, and this virtually zero contact results is virtually zero wear. This means a properly designed and built refrigerator should last almost forever. But the ones built today do not last. The most basic part of a fridge or freezer often fails. I think this is a crime. Then there is all the other added stuff that breaks down in a short period of time when it should also last for many years. I know, you should get what you pay for. But that is not the case these days. All the home appliances wear out way too soon. Because they were designed and manufactured that way. And then all the natural resources that were used to build these appliances end up in a landfill. It really pisses me off.
Eric

/ This has to be a record !!! #17  
Old school always works better . I have a almost 40 year old freezer that still works but the hinges rusted of for the third time . Finally had to retire it .

/ This has to be a record !!! #18  
I'd do almost anything for an old school dehumidifier. Folks have a working one in the basement longer than I've been around. Im on my 2nd new one in 5 yrs.

/ This has to be a record !!! #19  
Whirlpool is like those store-brand tractors that use multiple manufacturers but the same badging. Never really know what you're going to get.

I've had great luck with both Samsung and LG.

/ This has to be a record !!! #20  
This has been in an elderly family member’s utility room for longer than I’ve been alive and still working today,
IMG_2018.JPG